Opinion Changes v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

He’ll have a few play on him throughout the game. Richards is exactly the same size as Heeeney. Duryea is pretty athletic and that shouldn’t be a mismatch.

12 clangers in 1.5 games, he needs a VFL game to get his composure back.

Keath just takes whoever is closest to goal. Gardner and Cordy have more than enough aerobic capacity to go with him up the ground. He does most of his damage via clever leads, so it’s more about the whole structure holding up and preventing lead up marks inside 50 than which KPD gets assigned to him.
Absolutely agree, Williams was putrid in both games and needs to get some form back in the VFL

Who goes to Buddy, McLean, and Heeney?

On paper I would have thought it would be

Keath -> Buddy

Gardner -> McLean

Richards -> Heeney

But tbh I have nfi

So Hayward is 187cm - who plays on him? Williams, Duryea? Some challenging match ups, hope our defence and mids coaches are on their game.

This is probably the best team we can select at the present time. For several positions in the 23 the cupboard is bare. The most important thing Bev stated in his presser was that no-one is banging down the door from the twos. Sadly, on this point, he is absolutely correct.

Last edited:
That article is genuinely depressing - we could lose 100 games in a row and Bev wouldn’t change his mind. I’m f*n done honestly, go dogs

It has that feeling.

Not sure if I got it wrong and admittedly I am not a stats person more of what I see, but we got well beaten in the Centre square clearances last week. The first couple of centre bounces set the tone and I don't think we got a look in.

It seemed Carlton walked it out on most occasions.

Even in the last qtr, had we kicked goals instead of behinds it felt there was no chance of us winning the centre clearance.

So Hayward is 187cm - who plays on him? Williams, Duryea? Some challenging match ups, hope our defence and mids coaches are on their game.
We’re really lacking a quality mid sized defender that can lock down and provide run. In the mould of Stewart, Vlaustin, Broad etc. That’s supposed to be Williams but no idea what’s happened to him recently.

It has that feeling.

Not sure if I got it wrong and admittedly I am not a stats person more of what I see, but we got well beaten in the Centre square clearances last week. The first couple of centre bounces set the tone and I don't think we got a look in.

Even in the last qtr, had we kicked goals instead of behinds it felt there was no chance of us winning the centre clearance.

Tied 15-15 last week. Week before we won 18-9.

It has that feeling.

They posted the stats at one stage on the screen, hit outs to advantage was 14-1. That is an absolute smashing, it’s not easy for the midfield when the ball is being palmed down the oppos best mids throat and very stoppage. Our goal kicking was poor but like you said I don’t think it changed the game as the ball would just be walked out of the centre if we kicked straight. As poor as we were at some stages last week, the game was decided in the ruck - and we can’t seem to recognise that it’s genuinely crazy

Does anyone else have that kind of feeling that we will somehow dominate tonight and it'll be the justification Bevo craves to keep persisting with his clearly flawed approach?

We’re certainly not going to play average footy forever. The switch will flick soon enough. Second half against the blues was pretty darn good and that was with a half fit Bont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As least McComb is not in, have to count that as a win.
Why would you say that? Here is a bloke who busted his guts last year to get on a list, did everything right on pre-season (unlike others) and threw himself at every contest in his first VFL game this year, being our best player by a country mile. Whether he makes it or not, I don't know yet on performance at the moment he is doing everything he can and that's all you can ask of a player on a list. Did you catch any of the VFL game last week?

Deserves to be an emergency and if his form continues will get a game.

Why would you say that? Here is a bloke who busted his guts last year to get on a list, did everything right on pre-season (unlike others) and threw himself at every contest in his first VFL game this year, being our best player by a country mile. Whether he makes it or not, I don't know yet on performance at the moment he is doing everything he can and that's all you can ask of a player on a list. Did you catch any of the VFL game last week?

Deserves to be an emergency and if his form continues will get a game.
We seriously need to try McComb on the wing at VFL level. We know he can play in the centre but he's not getting a senior game there. If he gets 20 touches and a handful of tackles on the wing that's far more use to us than 36 disposals in the centre.

Does anyone else have that kind of feeling that we will somehow dominate tonight and it'll be the justification Bevo craves to keep persisting with his clearly flawed approach?

The next two weeks are big for the coach. Good sides usually win these games when its backs to the wall, home game and the 4 points are desperately needed. We are going to find out tonight if we are indeed a good side. Lose this and top 4 is gone and lose next week all hell breaks loose.

its pretty simple

Not dominate. I hope we get a win, but can't see the Swans letting us break free and roll over them.

As bullish23 says though in the later post, if we lose this week AND next week, there will be trouble. Tigers are not the team they have been, and beat an undermanned GWS last week. We really should account for them, as well as an obviously improved North the week after.

If we go 0-3 tonight, we would want to be 2-3 after round 5, because 1-4, or even worse 0-5, would have the media baying for blood. And this forum would be in total meltdown, and the 'sack Bevo' threads will be out of control.

I still think we get a (hard fought) win tonight though - and yes, that may still mask our issues, but it will also ease a lot of the angst, at least for a week.

Not dominate. I hope we get a win, but can't see the Swans letting us break free and roll over them.

As bullish23 says though in the later post, if we lose this week AND next week, there will be trouble. Tigers are not the team they have been, and beat an undermanned GWS last week. We really should account for them, as well as an obviously improved North the week after.

If we go 0-3 tonight, we would want to be 2-3 after round 5, because 1-4, or even worse 0-5, would have the media baying for blood. And this forum would be in total meltdown, and the 'sack Bevo' threads will be out of control.

I still think we get a (hard fought) win tonight though - and yes, that may still mask our issues, but it will also ease a lot of the angst, at least for a week.

We'll s**t it in.

Absolutely agree, Williams was putrid in both games and needs to get some form back in the VFL
12 clangers in 1.5 games, he needs a VFL game to get his composure bac

Has Williams made a few mistakes recently? Sure, but he didn't make them by himself in a vacuum.
He normally plays a very important role in our team that we struggle to fill when he is absent. How did the team perform in the 2nd half after he was activated as a sub?

Think about the players in tonight's team, who can actually kick the ball long distances with a genuinely penetrating trajectory as opposed to a high slow trajectory?

Not many of them!

This is why our ball movement is often slow, predictable and relatively easy to counter. Our opponents often don't need to bother covering our deep targets, because most of our boys don't have the physical ability to reach them anyway.

Has Williams made a few mistakes recently? Sure, but he didn't make them by himself in a vacuum.
He normally plays a very important role in our team that we struggle to fill when he is absent. How did the team perform in the 2nd half after he was activated as a sub?

Think about the players in tonight's team, who can actually kick the ball long distances with a genuinely penetrating trajectory as opposed to a high slow trajectory?

Not many of them!

This is why our ball movement is often slow, predictable and relatively easy to counter. Our opponents often don't need to bother covering our deep targets, because most of our boys don't have the physical ability to reach them anyway.
The trajectory has been to players with a different jumper often with them turning them into goals. He has been woeful and needs a spell

The trajectory has been to players with a different jumper often with them turning them into goals. He has been woeful and needs a spell
Who has replaced him? Can they do the same job?

If it was felt that Tim English needed a spell would you replace him with McNeil?

We seriously need to try McComb on the wing at VFL level. We know he can play in the centre but he's not getting a senior game there. If he gets 20 touches and a handful of tackles on the wing that's far more use to us than 36 disposals in the centre.
Welcome to the McComb train.

I will be your captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back