Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maurice Rioli

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Jack Ross

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he’s been pretty decent
His last game wasn’t great but before those he kept his men to minimum impact in the games

Wouldn’t of won the dogs and GWS games without him, especially with the injury’s we had to Grimes and vlossy at the time
With an ageing list we need insurance

Imagine if we had a backline of Gibcus, Miller and Biggy in those games
He also played very well on mckay

He also played very well on mckay
Yeah the only two games that we have had oppo key forwards dominate against us are saints and crows

King went off tap after grimes went down so it’s unfair to put the entire blame on Tarrant

Walker did smash him in the Adelaide game but you can’t win them all

I think Tarrant might of been a better match up against Kennedy who kicked 4.1 than Balta was who gave up quite a few marks against him

I think he’s been pretty decent
His last game wasn’t great but before those he kept his men to minimum impact in the games

Wouldn’t of won the dogs and GWS games without him, especially with the injury’s we had to Grimes and vlossy at the time
With an ageing list we need insurance

Imagine if we had a backline of Gibcus, Miller and Biggy in those games

Hearing you say that doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm not sure i have read anything from you this year that would be considered critical of any decision the club has made over the past 12-24 months.

He has been average, certainly not 'good' - just average. Certainly not worthy on a 2 year investment of a 34 year old. The bar is being held ridiculously low. This is not a time when we should be allowing that thinking. Its what leads to middling results.

This week against Collingwood is make or break for our season. Big stage, chance to go 50/50 again with 2 games to follow against weaker opponents in Essendon & Hawthorn. If this team has any small chance of being a threat this season it should be 6-4 in 3 weeks.

If one thing 4 years of success taught me is, holding a very low bar on expectations is a curse

Last edited:

Yeah the only two games that we have had oppo key forwards dominate against us are saints and crows

King went off tap after grimes went down so it’s unfair to put the entire blame on Tarrant

Walker did smash him in the Adelaide game but you can’t win them all

I think Tarrant might of been a better match up against Kennedy who kicked 4.1 than Balta was who gave up quite a few marks against him

Kennedy only took 5 marks for the game. Tarrant is best when we play against lumbering stop and prop forwards. Walker was entirely the wrong match up type for Tarrant but that's what we had. I think against King he would have done fine had our mids put on even a hint of pressure on the ball coming forward. I think I could have kicked 4 with delivery like that...

Hearing you say that doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm not sure i have read anything from you this year that would be considered critical of any decision the club has made over the past 12-24 months.
Easy to be critical when you look back at decisions with information that no one had at the time

Not a fan of hindsight and what ifs
It’s not constructive for improvement on current situations

Tarrant signing will haunt us a bit i think. 2 Years to a bloke we had no loyalty to when we retired Houli a year earlier than he would have liked. I'm not arguing against the Houli decision, just using it to underline how much worse it makes the Tarrant one if he isn't even in our best 22
FFS! Tarrant was recruited due to the surprise retirement of Astbury... it's like for like.
Dan Rioli has emerged as the Houli replacement, it seems.

FFS! Tarrant was recruited due to the surprise retirement of Astbury... it's like for like.
Dan Rioli has emerged as the Houli replacement, it seems.

Well, he wasnt really.

Balta & Astbury used to live in the same backline.

Astbury retired

They then moved Balta forward.

So thats 2 holes now.

They got Tarrant who filled 1 in the sense that he plays the same role. But, he was kinda 34 already and coming off a year injury.

The structure of our backline in 2022 is very different to that on 2017-2021. That structure was very similar except we saw the whole way through as Balta replaced Rance.

If we were so concerned about losing Astbury, then why move Balta forward at the same time? Effectively you are taking 2 key roles out of the same backline.

Answer: to make him forward depth as we lost CCJ & Chol.

I have been strong against moving Balta & Baker out of an established, winning backline & signing Tarrant since the first talk of it. After we signed him, I was willing to see how the dice rolled with him in hope - the reality is it played out pretty much how i said it would. Tarrant is too old & Balta playing as a 3rd tall just added to the compromised structure of a backline that should be elite & "the 3 talls" made our forwardline too stagnant. The backline, even with Astbury gone, was the least of our problems going into the season. Finding a replacement for Chol - or a new midfield piece - was always, in my opinion - the flaws we needed to focus on..... or, better yet - we just go full youth and live with the results in the name of committing to development & the future.

My biggest fear this season was we finish between 7th - 12th & i still fear its where we will end up. I never saw Tarrant, a 34 year old with 1 finals win (out of 4 ) in his career as a "missing piece" to us having another tilt - so excuse me for being frustrated at seeing nearly all of this play out how i thought it would.

Well, he wasnt really.

Astbury retired

So thats 2 holes now.

They got Tarrant who filled 1 in the sense that he plays the same role. But, he was kinda 34 already and coming off a year injury.

The structure of our backline in 2022 is very different to that on 2017-2021. That structure was very similar except we saw the whole way through as Balta replaced Rance.

If we were so concerned about losing Astbury, then why move Balta forward at the same time? Effectively you are taking 2 key roles out of the same backline.

I have been strong against moving Balta & Baker out of an established, winning backline & signing Tarrant since the first talk of it. After we signed him, I was willing to see how the dice rolled with him in hope - the reality is it played out pretty much how i said it would. Tarrant is too old & Balta playing as a 3rd tall just added to the compromised structure of a backline that should be elite & "the 3 talls" made our forwardline too stagnant. The backline, even with Astbury gone, was the least of our problems going into the season. Finding a replacement for Chol - or a new midfield piece - was always, in my opinion - the flaws we needed to focus on..... or, better yet - we just go full youth and live with the results in the name of committing to development & the future.

My biggest fear this season was we finish between 7th - 12th & i still fear its where we will end up. I never saw Tarrant, a 34 year old with 1 finals win (out of 4 ) in his career as a "missing piece" to us having another tilt - so excuse me for being frustrated at seeing nearly all of this play out how i thought it would.
Balta’s move forward is completely irrelevant to Astbury/Tarrant.
With retirements and Chol/CCJ you experiment to see what works, a section of our support were crying out for Balta to move forward as a Jack replacement and don’t forget we got a backline bonus with the early introduction of Gibcus.
Grimes going down put too much pressure on Broad and Tarrant, IMO.
We finish where we finish after giving the season 100% and we have Norf’s second rounder plus some really promising draftees.
To be honest, the recruiting of Robbie Tarrant is pretty insignificant.
My biggest fear is China closely followed by my rapid ageing!

Well, he wasnt really.

Astbury retired

So thats 2 holes now.

Perhaps the club could see we were about to be royally fisted by norf with the CCJ trade so went for a 'well, OK, we'll take that then' rather than walk away with nothing.
I think you are downplaying his performances tbh. Our pressure game has been below previous years and the inside 50s down back have been massive.
He is insurance and allows the Balta forward trial (whether you agree with it or not... he is developing as a swingman).

You are making sound like a decision like taking Tambling rather than Franklin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balta’s move forward is completely irrelevant to Astbury/Tarrant.
With retirements and Chol/CCJ you experiment to see what works, a section of our support were crying out for Balta to move forward as a Jack replacement and don’t forget we got a backline bonus with the early introduction of Gibcus.
Grimes going down put too much pressure on Broad and Tarrant, IMO.
We finish where we finish after giving the season 100% and we have Norf’s second rounder plus some really promising draftees.
To be honest, the recruiting of Robbie Tarrant is pretty insignificant.
My biggest fear is China closely followed by my rapid ageing!

You dont experiment by moving one of the best under 23 full backs in the league to become your 3rd tall forward. I said it was stupid at the time & i reckon the results have shown that pretty clearly.

If you look back you will find i said.... if we were going to try and fill these holes i would have MUCHED prefer we take Levi Casboult on a very cheap 1 year veterans level deal to play us a back up option to Jack & Tom & basically provide support in teh absence of CCJ & Chol, then hit the draft for long term options - & just keep Balta down back where he excelled, & rely on Miller as the back up. I was saying this at trade time, so was before the Gibcus drafting.
I certainly didn't see it as a difference maker to a flag, but it filled a role - cost us fair less money, with only a 1 year deal required & allowed us to hold the structure if Jack gets injured etc. Levi is given a lot of s**t due to him being a blue and his wayward kicking, but the *er could mark - his hands are elite.

As fate has had it, Levi is 10th in the Coleman, 3rd in Marks inside 50 & 7th for contested Marks.

Who would you rather have right now - Robbie Tarrant on the higher, long-term contract? Or Levi on the cheaper, short term one?

...just sayin'. Maybe I was right:flushed:

You dont experiment by moving one of the best under 23 full backs in the league to become your 3rd tall forward. I said it was stupid at the time & i reckon the results have shown that pretty clearly.

If you look back you will find i said.... if we were going to try and fill these holes i would have MUCHED prefer we take Levi Casboult on a very cheap 1 year veterans level deal to play us a back up option to Jack & Tom & basically provide support in teh absence of CCJ & Chol, then hit the draft for long term options - & just keep Balta down back where he excelled, & rely on Miller as the back up. I was saying this at trade time, so was before the Gibcus drafting.
I certainly didn't see it as a difference maker to a flag, but it filled a role - cost us fair less money, with only a 1 year deal required & allowed us to hold the structure if Jack gets injured etc. Levi is given a lot of s**t due to him being a blue and his wayward kicking, but the f***er could mark - his hands are elite.

As fate has had it, Levi is 10th in the Coleman, 3rd in Marks inside 50 & 7th for contested Marks.

Who would you rather have right now - Robbie Tarrant on the higher, long-term contract? Or Levi on the cheaper, short term one?

...just sayin'. Maybe I was right:flushed:
Casboult was picked in the rookie draft at pick 3 we didn’t have a pick until 7
That we used to resign Biggy who I would prefer over Casboult anyway

If we acquainted Casboult via trade witch would of been the only way to get him before Gold Coast we would of needed to give him a longer contract

If we acquainted Casboult via trade witch would of been the only way to get him before Gold Coast we would of needed to give him a longer contract
There ya go, apparently its piss easy to find old threads -here are some tasty post where i suggested &/or replied to post giving me s**t suggesting Levi Casboult as a very unsexy option as a back up. How Chol's role as being the willing back up was underrated etc

And another one where i spoke about how moving your Full back to become a back up / 3rd tall forward is dumb as dog s**t.

Turns out, Levi Casboult is alright option for a back up, heh?

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.08.31 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.11.09 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.16.42 pm.png

Here is a good one where i say our 2022 chances are very slim & that Tarrant is only a 50/50 chance at best of being useful

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.21.05 pm.png

Another good one i wrote about feeling sick that people are enthused at Tarrant coming over, how the club should play hard to ensure we fist NTH (which we did despite many here saying it was impossible) & it feels wrong to sign him over Houli considering the loyalty (to be clear, i wanted neither as i clearly was on "rebuild, rebuild, rebuild").

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.24.53 pm.png

seriously you ******* campaigners should be paying me for this s**t, this is quality content.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.08.53 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.08.53 pm.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.21.05 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.21.05 pm.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
There ya go - there is the post where i suggested Levi Casboult as a very unsexy option as a back up.

And another one where i spoke about how moving your Full back to become a back up / 3rd tall forward is dumb as dog s**t.
Still wondering how we secure him on a one year rookie contract before Gold Coast pick up before us

You are also acting is if Tarrant cost us Levi when they two players movements aren’t linked in the slightest
The equation wasn’t one or the other

How does one get a job doing historical stats on Fox Footy? Easy work, just like a weatherman, don’t need to be right.

Richmond biggest margin in 47 years. That would be in 1975 when we beat South Melbourne at the Lakeside Oval (I was there) by 107 points. But that’s not even right as it’s below 109.

So 1974 (48 years) would have been more right when we beat Fitzroy in Rd 13 by 129 points at VFL Park.

Least we forget:

Rd 5 1980 beat Fitzroy by 118

Rd 7 1980 beat Footscray by 110

Rd 16 1980 beat St.Kilda by 152

Rd 18 1980 beat Footscray by 115

Rd 3 1985 beat St.Kilda by 113

Rd 21 1996 beat Fitzroy by 151

Rd 10 2014 beat GWS by 113

Searching old threads is fun.

Found a post back in June when we were still looking like a top 4 fancy where if Astbury keeps declining Tarrant might be worth a look as a prospect on. ONE YEAR contract to keep our window open. This was clearly before the anus fell out of the club and the "rebuild, rebuild, rebuild" option was obviou

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.45.03 pm.png

And here is me 3 months later being concerned at offering Tarrant a 2 year contract.

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 9.38.01 pm.png

While our window was open, I was all for taking a flyer on Robbie as a 1 year prospect to keep the dream alive, but never 2. And that was on the premise that we were a legit challenger again. If the club seriously thought they were a legit challenger again, then you probably bring back Houli too.

I, clealry, have not thought we were a legit challenger again for quite some time. Had some moments in the pre-season where i got my hopes up, but after round 1 i saw the same problems.

Our only hope now of getting close to challenging is Dusty pulling out his HIGHEST level form & Prestia, Toby, Jack, Tom, Grimes staying very fit & strong form. If anyone can do it, its him - but not sure how likely it is.

How does one get a job doing historical stats on Fox Footy? Easy work, just like a weatherman, don’t need to be right.

Richmond biggest margin in 47 years. That would be in 1975 when we beat South Melbourne at the Lakeside Oval (I was there) by 107 points. But that’s not even right as it’s below 109.

So 1974 (48 years) would have been more right when we beat Fitzroy in Rd 13 by 129 points at VFL Park.

Least we forget:

Rd 5 1980 beat Fitzroy by 118

Rd 7 1980 beat Footscray by 110

Rd 16 1980 beat St.Kilda by 152

Rd 18 1980 beat Footscray by 115

Rd 3 1985 beat St.Kilda by 113

Rd 21 1996 beat Fitzroy by 151

Rd 10 2014 beat GWS by 113

good job on researching it

Sorry, why couldn't we sign him as a free agent?

Still wondering how we secure him on a one year rookie contract before Gold Coast pick up before us

You are also acting is if Tarrant cost us Levi when they two players movements aren’t linked in the slightest
The equation wasn’t one or the other

Free agency? Same way we were going to take Tarrant? duh?

He was delisted in August. He was available for months prior to the rookie draft

Plus, I am not acting like Tarrant cost us Levi - get off your own shlong mate. I literally just gave pages of post ,dated,where i spoke about the strategy behind it. :joycat:

Last edited:
Back