Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

He's very good, perhaps it doesn't show on stats. I think Moore is like that too. On pure stats they don't look impressive but when you see them play they definitely look elite.

I remember someone saying that Weitering and Liam Jones were on radio and someone ringing with stats to show that they leaked goals and statistically don't look much chop. It certainly doesn't look like it when you see them play.

Howard might be the opposite, he doesn't look very good this year but his numbers look very good.
Yeah, he’s very good. But he’s not a lock for AA like I keep seeing and hearing everywhere. He loses one on one’s more than just about any KPD and he doesn’t intercept as much as the top defenders either stats literally back that up.
It’s not like disposals, where say a Parish or T.Mitchell rack up 40+ but someone like Sinclair has 25 but they’re all damaging.
It’s literally based on beating your opponent.

Yeah, he’s very good. But he’s not a lock for AA like I keep seeing and hearing everywhere. He loses one on one’s more than just about any KPD and he doesn’t intercept as much as the top defenders either stats literally back that up.
It’s not like disposals, where say a Parish or T.Mitchell rack up 40+ but someone like Sinclair has 25 but they’re all damaging.
It’s literally based on beating your opponent.

It's funny that stuff because he looks like he does both well. As an overall perception he seems like he should be elite. I wonder if there is something he does that means his stats are underrating performance?

Worth a read - if just for the laughs of having a President order a full scale review two weeks after he reappointed the CEO who has been in charge for the last 4 or 5 years and praised the recruiting manager who has been there for the last 25 years.

"Brasher as recently as Tuesday lauded Adrian Dodoro, the club’s list boss who has been at the club for nearly a quarter of a century. Brasher praised Dodoro for finding several “hidden gems” in the last few years. Clearly not enough to build a list capable of winning a final since Shrek 2, but apparently enough to skate through the review.

Expect bold forward thinking outcomes like

Recommendation No 1 - screw your stops in anti clockwise from now on!!

Worth a read - if just for the laughs of having a President order a full scale review two weeks after he reappointed the CEO who has been in charge for the last 4 or 5 years and praised the recruiting manager who has been there for the last 25 years.

"Brasher as recently as Tuesday lauded Adrian Dodoro, the club’s list boss who has been at the club for nearly a quarter of a century. Brasher praised Dodoro for finding several “hidden gems” in the last few years. Clearly not enough to build a list capable of winning a final since Shrek 2, but apparently enough to skate through the review.

Expect bold forward thinking outcomes like

Recommendation No 1 - screw your stops in anti clockwise from now on!!

I actually don’t think Dodo has done too bad for them. Granted it’s hard to measure because I’m sure there are plenty of MISSED trades and opportunities because he’s such a stubborn *, so we’ll never really know who they could have had if he was slightly more flexible, but they’ve got some good value trades in and I think they’re fans need to accept they’re in a mini rebuild.

The Shiel trade looks ordinary now but he was a very desirable trade at the time.

He did well getting Peter Wright for a packet of chips.

Jake Stringer seems to have matured at this 2nd chance club and is an A grader.

Caldwell will come good I think, and again several clubs were interested.

Once they get another 25 - 50 games into Draper, Perkins, Jones and Cox they will look a bit better. Also they can’t field a midget team of McGrath, Parish, Merrett, Smith and Shiel in the middle. They need to find a Steele, Cripps, Fyfe or similar big bodied mid and another tall forward to go with Wright this off season. I think in 2023 Essendon will be decent but the signs were there that a bunch of their older KPPs were gonna retire and taper off.

Who knows what their player list could look like though if Dodo wasn’t such a stubborn * desperate to look like he underpaid in every trade even at the detriment of positions they lack in? Maybe they could have attracted Jack Steele, Tom Lynch, Steven May, Jeremy Cameron or Brad Crouch if every list manager didn’t see Dodo’s mug at trade week and go “ahhhhh * that”.

I actually don’t think Dodo has done too bad for them. Granted it’s hard to measure because I’m sure there are plenty of MISSED trades and opportunities because he’s such a stubborn duck, so we’ll never really know who they could have had if he was slightly more flexible, but they’ve got some good value trades in and I think they’re fans need to accept they’re in a mini rebuild.

The Shiel trade looks ordinary now but he was a very desirable trade at the time.

Once they get another 25 - 50 games into Draper, Perkins, Jones and Cox they will look a bit better. Also they can’t field a midget team of McGrath, Parish, Merrett, Smith and Shiel in the middle. They need to find a Steele, Cripps, Fyfe or similar big bodied mid and another tall forward to go with Wright this off season. I think in 2023 Essendon will be decent but the signs were there that a bunch of their older KPPs were gonna retire and taper off.

Who knows what their player list could look like though if Dodo wasn’t such a stubborn duck desperate to look like he underpaid in every trade even at the detriment of positions they lack in? Maybe they could have attracted Jack Steele, Tom Lynch, Steven May, Jeremy Cameron or Brad Crouch if every list manager didn’t see Dodo’s mug at trade week and go “ahhhhh duck that”.

Yeah, their youth burst out of the blocks and haven't been able to do as much carrying this season. They'll get better next year but just need time now. Their list looks pretty deep and has lots of good pieces.

The kid they got Hobbs will be their bull mid. They need KPPs now not more mids. The review is to placate the fans who are going nuts. They'd be pretty confident that they just need to buy time.

Yeah, their youth burst out of the blocks and haven't been able to do as much carrying this season. They'll get better next year but just need time now. Their list looks pretty deep and has lots of good pieces.

The kid they got Hobbs will be their bull mid. They need KPPs now not more mids. The review is to placate the fans who are going nuts. They'd be pretty confident that they just need to buy time.

Yeah talls seem their main thing, but I still think they need at least 1 mid taller than 5’4 or they will keep getting smashed in the middle.

Looking at the Essendon board here and listening to some Essendon supporters in the media I don't think this review will placate them. I think most of them can see the review for what it is, just window dressing to make them look like they are doing something while still protecting the people in power.

Looking at the Essendon board here and listening to some Essendon supporters in the media I don't think this review will placate them. I think most of them can see the review for what it is, just window dressing to make them look like they are doing something while still protecting the people in power.

Which is why they got Hird because they grew inpatient and demanded change. Thank * for their feral supporters. So much good drama over the years.

Pretty similar to us jumping up into finals 2020, not being able to sustain it, then having a depressed/angry fanbase 2021.

They could grab themselves a ready to go key forward in the mid season draft to pair with Marshall (and hopefully realise they don’t need Marshall anymore)

Pretty similar to us jumping up into finals 2020, not being able to sustain it, then having a depressed/angry fanbase 2021.

They could grab themselves a ready to go key forward in the mid season draft to pair with Marshall (and hopefully realise they don’t need Marshall anymore)

I guess they want what we have with Paddy and Rowan with Draper and Ro. It seems like they need a KPD long term type to me and some small forward talent to replace Tippa and Fantasia. They were ******* unlucky to lose all of those two and Daniher. 4 or 5 years ago it looked like one of the best attacks in footy.

TUIRPD6.gif

I actually don’t think Dodo has done too bad for them. Granted it’s hard to measure because I’m sure there are plenty of MISSED trades and opportunities because he’s such a stubborn duck, so we’ll never really know who they could have had if he was slightly more flexible, but they’ve got some good value trades in and I think they’re fans need to accept they’re in a mini rebuild.

Who knows what their player list could look like though if Dodo wasn’t such a stubborn duck desperate to look like he underpaid in every trade even at the detriment of positions they lack in? Maybe they could have attracted Jack Steele, Tom Lynch, Steven May, Jeremy Cameron or Brad Crouch if every list manager didn’t see Dodo’s mug at trade week and go “ahhhhh duck that”.
Lucky bloke - imagine it - 20 years in the same job and all you have to do is say its the coaches fault when the club isn't successful and take the glory when they are- where do I sign up!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But have his girlfriends? He was always a gun on-field.

I do have a feeling deep inside that Essendon should take on all scorn and thumb their nose at the the rest of us ...Engage James HIRD as Coach ...bring on all the haters and make it an "Us and Them" scenario. Galvanising the supporter base. He's still got all the allure and enigma necessary to be a tarnished shining star ... in the tradition of all great flawed heros characters in classics of all sorts.

Even Hans SOLO was a smuggler and person of ill repute. The hero within is only enhanced by poor choices...its the overcoming of them that truly defines greatness....that and what they can achieve once they taste the humility! I think James HIRD is ready! I still think the Force could be strong in this one!

I do have a feeling deep inside that Essendon should take on all scorn and thumb their nose at the the rest of us ...Engage James HIRD as Coach ...bring on all the haters and make it an "Us and Them" scenario. Galvanising the supporter base. He's still got all the allure and enigma necessary to be a tarnished shining star ... in the tradition of all great flawed heros characters in classics of all sorts.

Even Hans SOLO was a smuggler and person of ill repute. The hero within is only enhanced by poor choices...its the overcoming of them that truly defines greatness....that and what they can achieve once they taste the humility! I think James HIRD is ready! I still think the Force could be strong in this one!
As cray cray as all this sounds, I think I agree with you! 😀

Well done to the disillusioned Essendon supporter who did this YouTube video. Got to love to see them struggling.

They are really funny videos. His content will be ****ed if they ever stop being rubbish though.

I honestly think that they have players but they have a cheaters hangover. Carlton wore it for years, It's like a weight on their back. No matter what they do they can't exorcise the stench. It's like an elephants grave yard of AFL career. Good players go there to have their potential perish.
The Bombers are not as bad as they are playing , they murdered us last year and now they are useless - surely the coach goes.

The Bombers are not as bad as they are playing , they murdered us last year and now they are useless - surely the coach goes.
Same coach that murdered us last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back