Review Cats defeat demons by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't see Kolo coming in ahead of Zuthrie and O'Connor is better for mobility. Henry is back to stay and Stewart of course.

Stewart, SDK, Bews
Henry, Blicavs, Zuthrie

Tuohy as an attacking backman on Interchange.

That leaves Kolo and O'Connor as extras. Either one could play depending on the opposition. Kolo if you need to cover a forward line with 3 talls. O'Connor if you need someone to play on small to medium forwards or a lockdown role or you need some more run. In finals pressure Kolo worries me more than O'Connor and he slows down the ball movement.
That is all well and good but Blics is no longer player as a backman and he shouldn't.
So it is more like this

Stewart, SDK, Bews
Henry, Zuthrie

With having a space for one more defender e.g Kolo

I mean they could play Henry as that tall player but do you honestly think they are leaving Kolo out?

My line up would be as listed above with Tuohy in the position you have him.

And only playing 1 of Kolo and O'Connor. depending on size needed as i think Zuthrie has been better than O'Connor this year and deserves his spot.

The MC will most likely drop Zuthrie though.

that's a good comparison - used to be able to chuck Colbert into the middle - regularly - as well as being a KD - I reckon Henry would be capable of doing both roles too; already shown glimpses of being a handy pinch-hit ruckman.

Back to last night's game:

The structural freedom and the fitness base that allows Jeremy Cameron to get up the ground to become involved in play outside the F50 is really showcasing the best of his talent and helping him to work into high-pressure games by giving him the opportunity to impact the game in a more diverse way; i.e. he is not just always a F50 marking target.

He wasn't at his best against Melbourne, but he worked his way into the game and when he nailed his kicks he was very constructive - if that's a 'bad' Jeremy Cameron game then you've got to be pretty happy with his output.
Usually agree with your take on things Cursed.
In this case I can see your point about Cameron being in a lot better shape physically/aerobically this season.
But in this game I thought he really struggled to even hit a target in the first half. And he wasn't winning his own ball under pressure either by working up the ground. These were largely uncontested possessions.
The big worry for me is he's not a real contested ball winner, so how's he going to influence a tight pressure-like final? Maybe in one or two moments where he finds space and can drill a long goal that no-one else would even try?
My point is unless he's on song with his kicking, he just doesn't look like influencing things. He does the high degree difficulty things extraordinarily well, but the smaller more basic 1 percenters (that you need all 22 doing to win a big final) not that well.
That's just my view anyway. I know it's not necessarily shared by many. Here's hoping he's won me over by the end of the season.

If all available, I feel Zuthrie's inexperience will see him benched in a final, as an option with good utility.
Hell will freeze over before they omit Kolo.

Sub might also be tactical ie zuthrie or moc are good subs because they can play different roles in different parts of the ground. Whereas kolo is a defender or bust so he will be in the 22 or outside the 23 he wont be sub.

I just don't see Kolo coming in ahead of Zuthrie and O'Connor is better for mobility. Henry is back to stay and Stewart of course.

Stewart, SDK, Bews
Henry, Blicavs, Zuthrie

Tuohy as an attacking backman on Interchange.

That leaves Kolo and O'Connor as extras. Either one could play depending on the opposition. Kolo if you need to cover a forward line with 3 talls. O'Connor if you need someone to play on small to medium forwards or a lockdown role or you need some more run. In finals pressure Kolo worries me more than O'Connor and he slows down the ball movement.

If all available, I feel Zuthrie's inexperience will see him benched in a final, as an option with good utility.
Hell will freeze over before they omit Kolo.

Both Kolo and O'Connor have their flaws and slow the ball movement.
Kolo is better in the marking contest, weak at ground ball
O'Connor is better at the ground ball, weak in the marking contest
Zuth is good at both, makes smart decisions, and moves the ball quicker...Physically weakest... Least experienced
Guess who will be dropped first?

Zuth is good at both, makes smart decisions, and moves the ball quicker...Physically weakest... Least experienced
have we had any games this season with all of Henry, Stewart, Bews, Kolo, Zuth, MOC, Tuohy in the same team?
And how did we go?
They are all in my 23.

FB-Bews Blicavs Kolo
HB-Henry DeK Stewart
C-Tuohy Selwood Duncan
HF-Close Cameron Danger
FF-Rohan Hawkins Stengle
R-Stanley CGuthrie Atkins
i/c Holmes Menegola Parfitt Smith
sub- ZGuthrie
em- MOC, Miers, Ratugolea etc

Last edited:
I remember last week you were pretty excited for this game and to see where we are at. I think you said something about it will go a fair way to making you believe.
Still a long way to go. But what are your thoughts after Thursday night?
We are at a good place, struggling to fit in many good players into our best 23.
But I really believe in one week at a time, and that every game from here on in is a challenge.
Carlton first up- at their best, they are the most fun and exhilarating team to watch, and we will need to be on.
I will be a believer for sure if we beat Saints and Carlton.
Port, WCE, Doggies we have already handled.
That means only Freo has not been our victim, and the more scalps we have before a prelim, the more faith I have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The run home will depend upon how soon clubs outside the 8 recognise they can't make finals. Once that happens their intensity drops off and guys start being sent off early to get ops so they get a full preseason and they give games to guys to see if they deserve new contracts etc. Port, Suns and Dogs all likely to be in that bucket.

Probably zuthrie if i had to guess but i agree one of the three will miss out one stewart is back it just depends on which one.

have we had any games this season with all of Henry, Stewart, Bews, Kolo, Zuth, MOC, Tuohy in the same team?
And how did we go?
They are all in my 23.

FB-Bews Blicavs Kolo
HB-Henry DeK Stewart
C-Tuohy Selwood Duncan
HF-Close Cameron Danger
FF-Rohan Hawkins Stengle
R-Stanley CGuthrie Atkins
i/c Holmes Menegola Parfitt M'OConnor
sub- ZGuthrie
em- Miers Ratugolea etc

Blitz will play upfield as he is now.
You also forgot smith who will take either kolo or mocs spot.
Miers is stiff as are a few others but we have good depth.

Yep, but so what? I can see, that for a number of above reasons listed by a few, we are a better team this year. Just because this is how it went last year, or the year before, doesn’t mean that’s how it goes this year. The club has spent many years investing in improving our team- some of it has worked, some not. This year it’s looking pretty good and I am enjoying the ride. Why the heck wouldn’t you?
You backing us in for the pennant? It really has to be the flag doesn’t it?

Jfi, what do you think of our draw? Can't recall exact order, but not what I'd call that easy.
Not being unreal, but
Carlton- MCG- 50/50
Port- away- 50/50
Saints- home <60/40
GC- away 60/40
Dogs- home 60/40
WCE- home 70/30
WCE 70-30? I would have that 95-5. Other games you nailed.

Blitz will play upfield as he is now.
You also forgot smith who will take either kolo or mocs spot.
Miers is stiff as are a few others but we have good depth.
True.
Smith for sure for MOC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back