Autopsy Back on the winners list Swans by 53 against the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayward is unwatchable at this point.

Just a theory but I reckon our game is too quick for him. We have a lot of quick thinkers and instinctive players who can make things happen in the blink of an eye or the space of a telephone box. And then the ball gets to Hayward and I feel like all of his possessions should be accompanied by a little pop-up message on my TV saying "Not Responding". Just doesn't know what he's doing too often.

Way too Harsh. I'd rather have Hayward get a relieving mark out of defense than Heeney atm - who routinely makes slow, ill-advised decisions to kick to an out-numbered contest in the corridor. It's been a feature of his game all year....though obviously he's a gun inside the forward half.

We just broke the dogs and umpires spirit with our pressure, tackling ability and slick handball. I haven't seen us handball like that in years!

our best football is the best football in the competition this season
against both port and essendon we started prett much as we did last night ... but a couple of key moments, mistakes, seemed to just pull the plug on all that confidence needed to keep playing that way, especially for a younger, less experienced team still working itself out
i'm sure that's a big part of the inconsistency that frustrates and infuriates us as fans, and no doubt the coaches and probably the players themselves
but at our best no team can stop that flowing, relentless attack ...
as was the case against melbourne, the swarming pressure broke the dogs last night
yes, we've had those bloody annoying losses, but we make finals and hit that sort of form, no team will want to play us

i also think the fact we've had a somewhat unsettled ruck setup all year, to do with injuries, can't have helped with basic team cohesion
and in that department, a big nod to sam reid, outstanding last night

I agree. There seems to be something alot of our fellow armchair critics who see big flaws in his game to the point where he's regularly listed as trade bait.

He does his current job well, competing hard and often nullifying some of his more fancied opponents. His pressure gives Warner, Mills and Parker the room to shine. I suspect he will never be an out and out A grader but happy to have him on our list to do the grunt work.

Guilty in regards to the trade-bait discourse. And I'm pretty sure I'm completely alone on it. Not one person has agreed with me haha. So I'll wear the heat.

But it's not from a critical place, more from a realistic place. A lot of people have said we didn't need Hewett because we had Rowbottom, and it certainly looks like he's trending to be our next Hewett.

Who was traded.

That is my logic. Not negative about his potential at all. I think with his burst from the contest, ability to win hard balls, and immense pressure, he has the potential to be our most complete mid.

Genius move by Longmire to select Ryan Clarke assured us of victory before the ball was bounced.
OK. If Horse is a genius this week for selecting him. What was he last week when he didn't select him and Hind had a huge day

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe the fine performances of others takes much of the focus but I’m surprised by the lack of excitement about Rowy’s game.
Not suggesting he was BOG or that he did it single-handedly but, on first viewing, he absolutely bossed Libba, McCrae and Co. in the centre square.

love rowbottom, hard as nails
also think criticism of mcinerney is harsh ... young bloke just getting back into the team, would be down a bit on confidence about his role/place in the team and he has looked a bit uncertain but his natural instincts with the ball are great, he looks to attack (him, warner and gulden all have "it") and he works hard off the ball
best 22, for sure
as is fox
and while amartey was good last night, mcdonald will be in our best/finals side

OK. If Horse is a genius this week for selecting him. What was he last week when he didn't select him and Hind had a huge day

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

An idiot.

And if the about-face that saw Clarke selected this week is anything to go by, Horse would be the first to admit it. (But I'm glad he doesn't have to ;))

Looking back at the 2020 draft, the top ten look relatively mediocre when stacked up against other years. We look to have hit the jackpot with McDonald and Campbell when you look at the list. JUH to be compared to,Buddy was a deadset insult. He probably struggles to be a first round selection in retrospect.
The jury is still out on JuH - he has time.

But Schache - times up. Bust.

Full stats breakdown…

Expected Score / Actual Score (Expected Accuracy / Actual Accuracy)
WB: 84 / 67 (48% / 35%)
SYD: 119 / 120 (49% / 47%)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: 35 / 53

Centre Bounce Attendance
23 - English
22 - Liberatore
21 - Bontempelli, Dunkley
18 - Macrae
6 - Schache
5 - West

English attended 23 centre bounces with the team winning the clearance 10 times (44%), losing it 9 times (39%) and bringing it to a secondary stoppage 4 times (17%)

Schache attended 6 centre bounces with the team winning the clearance 3 times (50%), losing it once (17%) and bringing it to a secondary stoppage 2 times (33%)

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
77 - English (27 / 10 / 3)
28 - Schache (5 / 2 / 3)
1 - Naughton (0 / 0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 12
SYD: 8

English v Reid (51 contests)
Hitouts: 17 / 15
To Advantage: 7 / 3
Clearances: 19 / 22
Score: 2.4 (16) / 5.3 (33)

English v Ladhams (19 contests)
Hitouts: 5 / 9
To Advantage: 2 / 3
Clearances: 8 / 7
Score: 1.1 (7) / 1.1 (7)

Schache v Reid (11 contests)
Hitouts: 0 / 10
To Advantage: 0 / 0
Clearances: 5 / 3
Score: 1.1 (7) / 0.0 (0)

Schache v Ladhams (6 contests)
Hitouts: 2 / 1
To Advantage: 1 / 0
Clearances: 0 / 4
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.2 (2)

First Possessions
WB: 45

SYD: 46

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 40 / 33
SYD: 41 / 33

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 68%
SYD: 71%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 79%
SYD: 60%

Smothers
WB: 13

SYD: 14

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 42%
SYD: 55%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 70%
SYD: 80%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 9
SYD: 9

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 3
SYD: 8

Score Launches
4 - English
3 - Dunkley
2 - Bontempelli, Gardner, Keath, Liberatore, Treloar
1 - Garcia, Hunter, Naughton, West, Williams

Shots At Goal
WB: 26 (35%)
SYD: 36 (47%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Sydney)
Set Shot: 7.6 / 9.7
Snap: 1.4 / 6.5
On Run: 0.2 / 2.3
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 1.0 / 0.1

0M-15M: 2.0 / 2.0
15M-30M: 3.3 / 7.4
31M-40M: 2.4 / 6.6
41M-50M: 2.3 / 2.3
51M+: 0.2 / 03.

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 2.2 / 2.3
Scores In Time-On: 4.5 / 5.8

Targets Inside 50

19 - No target
4 - Johannisen, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman
2 - English, Naughton, Schache
1 - Bedendo, Bontempelli, Macare

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 19
SYD: 27

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 6

SYD: 3

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 24
SYD: 19

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 40

SYD: 35

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 4
SYD: 6

Unforced Turnovers By Player
1 - Dunkley, Hannan, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 1

SYD: 4

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
2 - Gardner, Macrae, Treloar
1 - Bontempelli, Dunkley, McComb, Naughton, Richards,

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
103 - Liberatore
101 - Bontempelli
100 - Macrae
97 - English
94 - Treloar
78 - Richards
76 - Dale
74 - Weightman
73 - West
63 - Hunter
62 - Dunkley
61 - Gardner
60 - Schache
58 - Keath
57 - Naughton
54 - Hannan
53 - Williams
46 - Johannisen
45 - Garcia
38 - Ugle-Hagan
20 - Bedendo
18 - Scott
10 - McComb

AFL Player Rating Points
18.2 - Liberatore
16.3 - Bontempelli
11.3 - Dunkley
11.2 - English
10.8 - West
10.7 - Weightman
10.0 - Macrae
9.7 - Richards
8.6 - Garcia
8.3 - Keath
8.1 - Naughton
7.6 - Williams
7.3 - Hunter
7.3 - Treloar
6.3 - Gardner
4.7 - Ugle-Hagan
4.5 - Schache
4.4 - Hannan
3.6 - Dale
2.8 - Johannisen
0.8 - Scott
0.5 - Bedendo
0.2 - McComb

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 36%
SYD: 64%

Q2
WB: 53%
SYD: 47%

Q3
WB: 47%
SYD: 53%

Q4
WB: 60%
SYD: 40%

Match
WB: 49%
SYD: 51%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 207 (Elite)
SYD: 217 (Elite)

Q2
WB: 184 (Average)
SYD: 202 (Elite)

Q3
WB: 177 (Below Average)
SYD: 229 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 184 (Average)
SYD: 222 (Elite)

Match
WB: 189 (Average)
SYD: 217* (Elite)

*Highest rating for any team this season

Pressure Points Per Player
71 - Bontempelli
64 - Liberatore
60 - West
53 - Bedendo
52 - Dunkley
41 - Hunter
38 - Treloar
37 - Macrae
35 - Schache
31 - English
30 - Garcia
30 - Weightman
25 - Gardner
24 - Keath
23 - Johannisen
21 - Richards
21 - Dale
17 - Hannan
17 - Naughton
11 - Ugle-Hagan
10 - Williams
9 - McComb
6 - Scott

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1442153

Score Sources
View attachment 1442154
Thanks for sharing this as always, mate. Dogs games are the only ones where I'll have a look at the opposition's board afterwards, purely to look out for your posts.

If Reid keeps this up, he might be hard to keep. I could see a club desperate for a forward / ruck coming in with a juicy pre-retirement offer for him. Thinking Norf, Dogs, Melbourne, GWS all making a play. I would imagine we wouldn't have put aside too much cash to re-sign Sam given where he was at earlier this year.
Sam bought a new house less than 12 months ago. He has young kids. Moving would require much more than another club is likely to offer, both in years and dollars. IMO he will stay, on similar $ to this year and most likely a year at a time. At his age and stage that will be fair.
I'm just really happy for him that he's proved that he's not just cover, he's very much best 22.

Sam bought a new house less than 12 months ago. He has young kids. Moving would require much more than another club is likely to offer, both in years and dollars. IMO he will stay, on similar $ to this year and most likely a year at a time. At his age and stage that will be fair.
I'm just really happy for him that he's proved that he's not just cover, he's very much best 22.
And not just best 22, but a vital component of the best 22.

Would be close to a career best year. Been a couple of games now where he could feasibly get 3 Brownlow votes, and a few others where he could be argued to deserve 1-2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This I love. We worked so much harder than they did all night. The Dogs played almost exclusively on the wings while we were everywhere. We also straightened up when going inside 50.

View attachment 1442301
One of the major idiosyncrasies with playing at the SCG is Swans force the opposition out to the wings. If the oppo aren't smart enough to stick to their game plan - they stay there.

Have heard more than one ex-player from opposition say You can get stuck out on the wings of SCG if you're not careful. Looking at the heat map that's exactly what happened to the Dogs last night.

So who does Ryan Clarke go to next week?

My only concern is his ability to tag a midfielder. Because when they go forward, can he defend? Doesn't really have to defend on a half backman, just put some pressure on and attack.

My only concern is his ability to tag a midfielder. Because when they go forward, can he defend? Doesn't really have to defend on a half backman, just put some pressure on and attack.

Hayden Young for mine.

I hope you're right. I was chatting with Nick Malceski recently and he was telling me he loved the Swans, best club he's played at by a long way. He left because GC offered him more money, extra year and transition into coaching.

Who's to say GWS for example doesn't do something similar. If I was running their list, I'd be asking questions.

Good point. Only tagging down back suits Clarke. Often the best thing he can do is to knock the footy forward.

Dumb question but could Fox be as fast as Blakey and Warner, his acceleration was amazing last night.

He is very close tho might be done for acceleration.

There was a wonderful highlight of Foxy running behind Lizard when he was running through the centre. Foxy was shepherding chasing Dogs and fairly dispensing with them. It was classical team work.

Hayden Young for mine.
Is Hayden Young really a rebounding defender? He's averaging 21 touches and 350m gained.
Sinclair was 28 and over 500m
Dale was 27 and 600m.

Hayden Young doesn't really run with the ball much.

Is Hayden Young really a rebounding defender? He's averaging 21 touches and 350m gained.
Sinclair was 28 and over 500m
Dale was 27 and 600m.

Hayden Young doesn't really run with the ball much.

He starts a lot of their rebound though with his crumbing in the back-line and clean disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back