Opinion Most overrated players from each team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Gardner at the Dogs

Sorry but lethal played against plumbers mate, he was a 178cm 80kg midget and would get stomped on by professional 190cm 90kg + mids of today. The guy was a thug and knocked out anybody that was playing better than him on the day. GAJ, Judd, Dusty, Voss are all miles better it’s not close. If those guys played ‘rough’ against lethal he’d get paralysed.

I know your a hawks guy but cmon the amount of excuses you made for him not winning awards is amazing. So nobody got more than 1xAA back then yeah ok. He played in 3 GF when the norm Smith was around and didn’t win one, that’s poor for GOAT standards lol no excuses there he just wasn’t good enough. He got close to winning a Brownlow but he didn’t, umps didn’t have a problem giving votes to him. You are making it out like he was murdering people in the ground so he couldn’t get any votes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Who is better than Leigh Matthews?

Pendlebury would be up there he's been awful for about 3 years now but the commentators still act like its 2010 Pendlebury. They talk him up relentlessly then when he butchers another play its just "Wow that is very un-Pendlebury like" repeat 10 times a game

Anyone talking down Leigh Mathews as a footballer cannot have seen enough of him playing. If he isn’t elite than no one is.

I never saw him play so always felt like he was overrated. Then one day I was offered a box full of old Hawthorn video tapes dating back to 1980 (nearing the tail end of his career). Wasn't till I started watching games over the years did I realize how good he truly was.
He may not have been the best user or possessed audacious athleticism, but his ability to impact games at crucial stages was as good as Carey.

The most prolific footballer the game has ever known.

Sorry but lethal played against plumbers mate, he was a 178cm 80kg midget and would get stomped on by professional 190cm 90kg + mids of today. The guy was a thug and knocked out anybody that was playing better than him on the day. GAJ, Judd, Dusty, Voss are all miles better it’s not close. If those guys played ‘rough’ against lethal he’d get paralysed.

I know your a hawks guy but cmon the amount of excuses you made for him not winning awards is amazing. So nobody got more than 1xAA back then yeah ok. He played in 3 GF when the norm Smith was around and didn’t win one, that’s poor for GOAT standards lol no excuses there he just wasn’t good enough. He got close to winning a Brownlow but he didn’t, umps didn’t have a problem giving votes to him. You are making it out like he was murdering people in the ground so he couldn’t get any votes.

How to say you've only watched footy for the last 8-10 years or so, without saying you've only watched footy for the last 8-10 years or so.

Pendlebury would be up there he's been awful for about 3 years now but the commentators still act like its 2010 Pendlebury. They talk him up relentlessly then when he butchers another play its just "Wow that is very un-Pendlebury like" repeat 10 times a game
One of the worst calls I've ever seen in my life.

If Matthews had the benefits of sports science, nutrition and full time coaching that today's player benefit from he'd crush today's players. He wasn't a shrinking violet. He would spend half the season suspended though.

same dimensions as lachie neale who has widely been considered as either the best or second best midfielder this year

seems to go alright against those bigger mids in todays game. dont see why matthews would fare any worse.

kind of an irrelevant point anyway. matthews was head and shoulders above the rest in his own time period in a way i dont really believe any player in the 21st century has quite accomplished. how good he was relative to his contemporaries should be the yardstick for mine

Lachie Neale is a professional athlete and not in GOAT discussions. All the other greats are minimum 6 foot, it’s not a coincidence. Size and strength affect playing ability.

Who is better than Leigh Matthews?

GAJ, Judd, Dusty and Voss to name a few. I’m sure you’d agree with at least one of them.

I’d also take GAS in H&A and if he won a flag I’d say he would’ve been voted player of the century instead of lethal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of ‘back in my day’ blokes on here is insane. He played in the non-professional era, doesn’t have an impressive physique and his individual awards are not up to GOAT standards. You are robbing yourselves of acknowledging and experiencing better players right in front of you. He retired 40 years ago, if you think there has not been a single player in 40 years to go past him I don’t know what to say. GAJ, Buddy and Dusty have broken records that will never be done again and even they aren’t good enough, the disrespect is saddening.

If Matthews had the benefits of sports science, nutrition and full time coaching that today's player benefit from he'd crush today's players. He wasn't a shrinking violet. He would spend half the season suspended though.

Pretty big IF there, pure speculation. Don’t think his body type would change enough to allow him to compete today. He would be a total liability to the team the way he plays.

GAJ, Judd, Dusty and Voss to name a few. I’m sure you’d agree with at least one of them.

I’d also take GAS in H&A and if he won a flag I’d say he would’ve been voted player of the century instead of lethal.

Matthew and Ablett about even, a good way above the others.

No, Matthew easily better than all of them. He and Ablett the best 2 players I've seen.

Well footy is going to be pretty boring for you then, no other player ever will be better in your eyes.

Btw GAS’s peak shits on Lethal, unfortunately not as consistent in finals.

Matthews was quick and could run all day.

Against plumbers. Pretty sure I heard a stat that mids today run 5-10km more than what they did in the 80s.

The amount of ‘back in my day’ blokes on here is insane. He played in the non-professional era, doesn’t have an impressive physique and his individual awards are not up to GOAT standards. You are robbing yourselves of acknowledging and experiencing better players right in front of you. He retired 40 years ago, if you think there has not been a single player in 40 years to go past him I don’t know what to say. GAJ, Buddy and Dusty have broken records that will never be done again and even they aren’t good enough, the disrespect is saddening.

You can not compare head to head across eras, otherwise the top 50 of every sport will always be players of the past 10 years.

Sir Don is the greatest batsman of all time and it isn't close, his numbers are so far above everyone it is not a debate. Yet if he played today we have no idea how he would go, doesn't change the fact he is the GOAT.

If you had never seen Leigh play and just looked at his pure numbers they are mind boggling. You say he doesn't have the individual awards yet refuse to acknowledge that his prime years were spent when some of those awards aren't around.

Well footy is going to be pretty boring for you then, no other player ever will be better in your eyes.

Btw GAS’s peak shits on Lethal, unfortunately not as consistent in finals.

You have admitted to never watching these players yet you are talking about where they rank, peaks, consistency as fact... Just stop dude

You have admitted to never watching these players yet you are talking about where they rank, peaks, consistency as fact... Just stop dude

Replays and stats exist mate. This is all my opinion but the stats I provide are fact though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back