Opinion Most overrated players from each team?

Remove this Banner Ad

You can not compare head to head across eras, otherwise the top 50 of every sport will always be players of the past 10 years.

Sir Don is the greatest batsman of all time and it isn't close, his numbers are so far above everyone it is not a debate. Yet if he played today we have no idea how he would go, doesn't change the fact he is the GOAT.

If you had never seen Leigh play and just looked at his pure numbers they are mind boggling. You say he doesn't have the individual awards yet refuse to acknowledge that his prime years were spent when some of those awards aren't around.

Yes of course you can compare, we know that players improve overtime, the AFL era is at a high level of football compared to the VFL era. Using maths you can adjust the numbers to reflect what the would’ve been if they were played today. ie goals

In regards to the awards, people in his own era won more available awards than he did.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Replays and stats exist mate. This is all my opinion but the stats I provide are fact though.

So you want to use stats to argue against Leigh... You sure that is the route you wanna go?

Throughout the bulk of his career he was averaging 25ish touches and 3 goals a game... Can you list me all the players in league history that could do that? It won't take you long because it is a very short list.

27 touches a game and 91 goals in 77

25 touches a game and 71 goals in 78

So you want to use stats to argue against Leigh... You sure that is the route you wanna go?

Throughout the bulk of his career he was averaging 25ish touches and 3 goals a game... Can you list me all the players in league history that could do that? It won't take you long because it is a very short list.

27 touches a game and 91 goals in 77

25 touches a game and 71 goals in 78

3 goals a game averaged to today would be 1.5-2 using basic maths. Can’t stand when people don’t understand this. His goal total would be in the 400s like GAJ, still impressive though.

3 goals a game averaged to today would be 1.5-2 using basic maths. Can’t stand when people don’t understand this.

He wasn't doing it is as a stay at home key forward, he was also an elite ball winner. I can't stand when people don't understand this.

Sorry but lethal played against plumbers mate, he was a 178cm 80kg midget and would get stomped on by professional 190cm 90kg + mids of today. The guy was a thug and knocked out anybody that was playing better than him on the day. GAJ, Judd, Dusty, Voss are all miles better it’s not close. If those guys played ‘rough’ against lethal he’d get paralysed.

I know your a hawks guy but cmon the amount of excuses you made for him not winning awards is amazing. So nobody got more than 1xAA back then yeah ok. He played in 3 GF when the norm Smith was around and didn’t win one, that’s poor for GOAT standards lol no excuses there he just wasn’t good enough. He got close to winning a Brownlow but he didn’t, umps didn’t have a problem giving votes to him. You are making it out like he was murdering people in the ground so he couldn’t get any votes.

Ahh, now I get it. You not only have no clue about the abilities or accolades of players and champions gone by, but you're actively disrespectful towards them. Without the players gone by we do not have the game we do today. There's a reasons those who have actually played are respectful and deferential, whereas nuffies call them "plumbers". Are you 13?

Lachie Neale does pretty well for a 177cm 84kg "midget", and Lethal was 10x the player Neale is.

Against plumbers. Pretty sure I heard a stat that mids today run 5-10km more than what they did in the 80s.

That's because they have to, to keep up with the other gun midfielders. In Matthews day, there wasn't so many of them. If needed, Matthews could have stopped having a dart at 1/2 time, stopped having a root an hour before the game and therefore could have ran an extra 5-10 kms. He didn't feel the need to need to, because he was already killing it out there and no one could stop him.

That's because they have to, to keep up with the other gun midfielders. In Matthews day, there wasn't so many of them. If needed, Matthews could have stopped having a dart at 1/2 time, stopped having a root an hour before the game and therefore could have ran an extra 5-10 kms. He didn't feel the need to need to, because he was already killing it out there and no one could stop him.

If he had that attitude it’s an even bigger reason why he wouldn’t be able to compete against professionals. Poor work ethic, he could get away with it back then because they were part timers. Proves my point.

Pendlebury would be up there he's been awful for about 3 years now but the commentators still act like its 2010 Pendlebury. They talk him up relentlessly then when he butchers another play its just "Wow that is very un-Pendlebury like" repeat 10 times a game
It really stings, doesn't it? That Fyfe's peak has come and gone in the time that Pendlebury has maintained a steady, high level of play.

AND he's far better than Mundy. Adding insult to injury!

If he had that attitude it’s an even bigger reason why he wouldn’t be able to compete against professionals. Poor work ethic, he could get away with it back then because they were part timers. Proves my point.

I love how you assume the worst when translating a previous player into today's game.

How does Dusty go in a competition with less than stellar physiotherapy, and ruckmen like Big Carl and Don Scott being more than willing to take his head off?

Ahh, now I get it. You not only have no clue about the abilities or accolades of players and champions gone by, but you're actively disrespectful towards them. Without the players gone by we do not have the game we do today. There's a reasons those who have actually played are respectful and deferential, whereas nuffies call them "plumbers". Are you 13?

Lachie Neale does pretty well for a 177cm 84kg "midget", and Lethal was 10x the player Neale is.

Lachie Neale would be able to beat him in every fitness test known to man. Ball skills probably not though, they are much closer than you think. Lachie Neale would still be able bully the f out of him though without the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Neale would be able to beat him in every fitness test known to man. Ball skills probably not though, they are much closer than you think. Lachie Neale would still be able bully the f out of him though without the ball.

Hahahahaha. Who would have thought that the full-time footballer being paid nearly $1m a year, with a full-time fitness and sports science team looking after him, would be in better shape than someone who played when the competition was not professional.

What a shock!

Sorry but lethal played against plumbers mate, he was a 178cm 80kg midget and would get stomped on by professional 190cm 90kg + mids of today. The guy was a thug and knocked out anybody that was playing better than him on the day. GAJ, Judd, Dusty, Voss are all miles better it’s not close. If those guys played ‘rough’ against lethal he’d get paralysed.

I know your a hawks guy but cmon the amount of excuses you made for him not winning awards is amazing. So nobody got more than 1xAA back then yeah ok. He played in 3 GF when the norm Smith was around and didn’t win one, that’s poor for GOAT standards lol no excuses there he just wasn’t good enough. He got close to winning a Brownlow but he didn’t, umps didn’t have a problem giving votes to him. You are making it out like he was murdering people in the ground so he couldn’t get any votes.

Firstly, do you ever ask yourself - every single person that saw him play disagrees with me - maybe I'm wrong rather than presuming to know better despite never seeing him play?? Honestly, you argue nonsensical points based on a quick Wikipedia search. The idea that he couldn't cope with the roughness of today's midfielders is genuinely laughable. Matthews would get king hit by enforcers much bigger than himself nearly every week and play on. Genuine punches to the face, elbows to the jaw, the works. What 'roughness' in today's game would he struggle to deal with? You also can't compare the size of players from different eras anyway. And what about Ablett Jnr - did he 'cope' with the 190cm, 90kg "behemoths" of today. He must of struggled , right? I can't wait for another 15-20 years to pass, players continue to get bigger and teenagers will tell you that Ablett was crap because he was only 180 odd cm and 80 something kilos.

You then bring up the stupid AA argument again. What don't you understand about the fact he was picked for every AA during his peak that existed. It was picked once in a decade FFS (and not based on the season but a separate 'carnival'). Most consider Richmond's Kevin Bartlett the 2nd best player of the 70's. Guess how many AA's he has? 0. Peter Hudson was having 150 goal seasons, many Colemans and the highest goal average of all time. Guess how many AA's he won in the 70's? 0.

Then you go back to the Norm Smith argument again. The only Grand Finals he played in where a Norm Smith was awarded was well into his 30's in the absolute twilight of his career. The players you say are clearly better - GAJ, Voss, Judd and Dusty. How many Norm Smiths did they win in their 30's. Oh, that's right, 0! Michael Voss and Chris Judd were retired at the age Matthews was first eligible to win one. Not only that but 1 player in history has won a Norm Smith at the age Matthews was first eligible. In fact, you've said GAJ and Voss are the two you have picked as clearly superior but neither ever won the NS, even at their peak.

Just take 1977 as an example. Matthews was the best midfielder in the entire league. He had 59 more possessions that the 3rd highest possession getter of the season! He had 45 more kicks than the 3rd highest. He also Kicked 91 goals from the midfield and finished 2nd in the Coleman. The only player in the entire comp that kicked more goals than him is the player with the highest goal average of all time. That's right, he kicked more goals as a midfielder than every forward from every other team in the comp. The only player that kicked more only did so because Matthews was the best mid in the comp that season and fed him a tonne of goals (and as I said, was also the player with the best goal average ever).

Just a few of his games that year included:
  • 38 possessions and 7 goals
  • 37 possessions and 7 goals
  • 41 possessions and 3 goals
  • 30 possessions and 6 goals
  • 33 possessions and 7 goals and many, many more.
In fact, he kicked 5+ goals from the midfield 9 times that season. Dusty has kicked 5+ 4 times in his career!

What league wide awards did Matthews win that season? None! MVP didn't exist. AA didn't exist. NS didn't exist.

What about 1978? Matthews was arguably the best mid in the competition again. He was again in the top few for possessions, kicks, marks and all measures they had in the day. He also kicked 71 goals! In the finals, he had 26 touches and 3 goals in the first final and was arguably BOG (definately the best mid). In his second final, he had 27 touches (most on the ground) and a goal and was again BOG. In the Grand Final, he had 28 touches (most on the ground), 12 marks (most on the ground) and 4 goals and was clearly BOG.

AA? Didn't exist. MVP? Didn't exist NS? Didn't exist.

What about individual games?
  • He had 32 touches vs South (the next most was 21). He also kicked 6 goals (most on the ground)
  • He had 34 touches (most on the ground) and 4 goals vs Essendon
  • He had 31 touches (most on the ground) and 4 goals (most on the ground) vs Fitzroy
  • He kicked 7 goals (most on the ground) from the midfield against Carlton
  • He had 38 touches (easily most) and 3 goals against St Kilda
  • He had 6 other games where he kicked 4 or 5 goals from the midfield and was best afield.
Guess how many Brownlow votes he got for the season?...3 votes. Yes, that's right, 3. But keep telling me how him being a thug never cost him any BL votes despite never watching him play and having no idea of what football was like then.

Last edited:
I love how you assume the worst when translating a previous player into today's game.

How does Dusty go in a competition with less than stellar physiotherapy, and ruckmen like Big Carl and Don Scott being more than willing to take his head off?

Even lethal said if today’s players played back then there would be deaths from how physically superior they are. Could you imagine what a player like Cripps would do if he played like lethal. My God.

Shouldn't the players actually be rated? I'll take a stab at players that are all actually good. But rated too high in my opinion.

Adelaide: Rory Sloane. Tough to find anyone rated, but Sloane has had a poor few years and seems to slide on by with the reputation of a gun because he is hard at the ball.
Brisbane: Daniel Rich. Amazing kick, absolute liability defensively.
Carlton: Jack Martin. Not sure anyone rates him anymore, but if you do, stop it.
Collingwood: Jordan DeGoey. Name outweighs output.
Essendon: Jake Stringer. Name outweighs output.
Fremantle: Michael Walters. Genuinely struggled here. Walters looks about done now. Has been a great player though.
Geelong: Jeremy Cameron. Call me when you decide a game in September pea heart.
Gold Coast: Matt Rowell. Call me when you get an uncontested possession iron heart.
GWS: Josh Kelly. Dude, you were supposed to be the best mid in the game four years ago. What happened?
Hawthorn: Jaeger Omeara. He plays an amazing game once every 8 weeks and then suddenly decides to play a game of guarding space for the other 7 weeks.
Melbourne: Luke Jackson. Being understudy to the greatest ruckman of our generation can't be that difficult.
North Melbourne: Cam Zurhaar. Unable to contribute to games consistently.
Port Adelaide: Karl Amon. Destined to be a free agency failure.
Richmond: Trent Cotchin. Just find some footy skip.
St.Kilda: Brad Hill. How good was that Hawthorn team to carry this bloke?
Sydney: Isaac Heeney. Great player but goes missing way too often for his talents.
West Coast: Tim Kelly...or am I too late? Is he no longer rated?
Western Bulldogs: Tom Liberatore. Best clearance player in the business. Anyone watching his defensive running though? Anyone notice he is the sweeper when Melbourne just break out of the centre and win a flag?

Even lethal said if today’s players played back then there would be deaths from how physically superior they are. Could you imagine what a player like Cripps would do if he played like lethal. My God.

That's because, unlike you, Lethal is respectful to all eras of player.

This is an embarrassing display of cluelessness.

He was obviously being humble or modest. You seriously think he should say "Nah, I was better than them" and sound like a complete jerk?

That's because, unlike you, Lethal is respectful to all eras of player.

This is an embarrassing display of cluelessness.

Mate I’m respectful. I’m just being realistic, it’s you guys who are being disrespectful towards today’s players. No matter what they achieve you will never rate them better than past players.

Mate I’m respectful. I’m just being realistic, it’s you guys who are being disrespectful towards today’s players. No matter what they achieve you will never rate them better than past players.

You called them plumbers. That is not respectful, that is being a complete toss.

That is also simply not true. Buddy is better than Doug Wade in my eyes, for example, despite kicking less goals in more games.

I never saw Lethal play and its too hard to tell from a few highlights.

So i just dont have him in my lists of GOATs

1. Carey
2. Lockett
3. Ablett Snr

then whoever

But hey thats just me as a beginner in the 90s

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

And that's fair enough if you say its from the 90s onwards.

I watched a bit of football in the 70s, but a lot from the 80s onwards. Matthews was phenomenal. He probably should have won the NS in 1983, but Robertson had a very good game.

He did things no-one before, during or after did. That is why he stands the test of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back