List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder if thats due to the fact they are able to read the play and typical leading patterns of forwards.
I don't think so because if they were able to do that, they probably wouldn't be 'failed' forwards. It pains me to say it (as an old CHB/HBF) but the back line is a lot easier because (usually) it is up to your opponent to make the play and you just have to stop them. Also, you see the play open up in front of you and don't usually have to worry about a 360 degree view and turning to kick in the same direction as the ball was heading. It's a tough gig being a forward, and even tougher if your opponent would scrag, tread on your toes, hook their fingers into their shorts when you tried to lead, spoil with an elbow to the back of the head before the fist hit the ball, hit the arms, etc.

Apparently.

The biggest difference between Forwards and Backs is that Forwards have to kick goals. Sounds simple, but when a defender does their job, or gets an intercept possession the next option is usually relatively easy. There's usually an out number, and the opposition has to stop a rebound and prevent an easy side ways kick.

In comparison, when a forward gets a possession, that's only half of the job.

Tbf it's reported they bought the place in 2019 for 800k.

Must be nice to be able to have enough cash laying around to buy an 800k get away apartment in another state. Extra 300k a year needed to buy a new luxury range rover for school drop offs
It is great. Sometimes when I can't be arsed getting from my house to Optus Stadium, I'll just fire up the PJ.

Before the season started I thought there would be any number of possible/probable retirements and delistings at end of this season. Kennedy, Franklin, Sinclair, Naismith, Reid, Clarke, Taylor, Gould, Ronke, Bell, O'Riordan.

Based on the good form of some of them, I'd now say the definites/probables are Kennedy, Sinclair, Naismith, Taylor.

All others have shown at least improvement in patches either at AFL or VFL level, if not all season at least portions of it.

Ronke, Bell, O'Riordan about 50/50 now to be on the list next season, for mine.

Good position to be in depth wise when I thought especially in the non key positions, we would be tested depth wise this season.

I’m always really impressed when 17 year olds get promoted to the WAFL seniors and perform.

If the Swans decide a small forward / utility is a need - Jed Hagan could be our man.

Did nicely at the national champs & then jumped into the WAFL seniors last week …. racked up 20 disposals, 5 tackles + a couple of sausage rolls (despite being a little bloke at 73kg).

Huge tackle counts are a consistent feature of his game stats.

There’s a few other highly rated WA draft prospects playing WAFL - but in the reserves. Hagan has gone straight into the firsts.

He’s been captain of the East Freo colts & the Swans do like youngsters with leadership traits.

I have a mate connected to the East Freo club who reckons he’s an absolute jet.

Don’t be surprised if he appears on Twomey’s lists at some point.

Few others that had league debuts

SANFL:
Barnett
D'aloia
Pillipous

WAFL:
Busslinger
Ginbey
Eli Hewett

None as impressive as Hagan however

Before the season started I thought there would be any number of possible/probable retirements and delistings at end of this season. Kennedy, Franklin, Sinclair, Naismith, Reid, Clarke, Taylor, Gould, Ronke, Bell, O'Riordan.

Based on the good form of some of them, I'd now say the definites/probables are Kennedy, Sinclair, Naismith, Taylor.

All others have shown at least improvement in patches either at AFL or VFL level, if not all season at least portions of it.

Good position to be in depth wise when I thought especially in the non key positions, we would be tested depth wise this season.

I hate it but feel we keep Naismith. Not sure how Bell keeps a spot.

Agree with the definites. I'd say Bell has to go. If he's not breaking into the team (deservedly) and performing when there, he's on the way out. Ronke probably needs to break in and perform to stay as well. Barry O'Connor too, so not much chance of that.

O'Riordan I'd be keeping as long he wants to stay. He's capable of filling a role when needed. Personally I think he can be up there with Fox if given a run of games, but definitely depth at the moment. But then if he thinks he could get more opportunity elsewhere, can't blame him.

Ronke is handy backup. Happy for him to stick around

Wonder whether he’d go for a Taylor thing, delist then rookie. Take a ping late on a speculative tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ronke has shown he can compete well at AFL level. Just needs to somehow bring consistency.

Which is why I would keep him in some shape or form ideally as a rookie

Few others that had league debuts

SANFL:
Barnett
D'aloia
Pillipous

WAFL:
Busslinger
Ginbey
Eli Hewett

None as impressive as Hagan however
From a WA perspective.
Eagles have 2, 20,25
Freo: 13 & 72 - they'll be expecting to front up 2 round 1 picks for Jackson if he goes to them so they'll use what ever pick they get for Lobb and send it to Melb.

Hagan is 175cm so not all that tall, it all depends if we want another small.

Agree to a certain extent regarding Ronke, but realistically how many small forwards that aren't in the best 22 can you afford to have on your list?

Presumably he's still behind Wicks. Just drafted Hugo Hall-Kahan. Someone like Sheldrick could probably play the Clarke role. I like Ronke, but is there a place for him on the list - even on the rookie list?

Agree to a certain extent regarding Ronke, but realistically how many small forwards that aren't in the best 22 can you afford to have on your list?

Presumably he's still behind Wicks. Just drafted Hugo Hall-Kahan. Someone like Sheldrick could probably play the Clarke role. I like Ronke, but is there a place for him on the list - even on the rookie list?
Reckon HHK is more a Hayward type, albeit still pretty skinny than in competition with Papley, Wicks, Ronke, Sheather and Gus.
Sheather might end up down back but showed promise. As you say good Ronke appears from time to time.
Clarke is playing a different role but occupying a senior spot any of those might aspire too. Bell or Taylor similarly.
I would be very surprised if we drafted a small forward, even if we delisted a couple of those.

Reckon HHK is more a Hayward type, albeit still pretty skinny than in competition with Papley, Wicks, Ronke, Sheather and Gus.
Sheather might end up down back but showed promise. As you say good Ronke appears from time to time.
Clarke is playing a different role but occupying a senior spot any of those might aspire too. Bell or Taylor similarly.
I would be very surprised if we drafted a small forward, even if we delisted a couple of those.
Even so, think HHK and those aforementioned names is plenty of depth. Ronke would only be replacing Papley in our starting 22 on role, and Wicks is next in-line, and Sheldrick would probably be close next year. Sheather obviously another option even if he does end up a defender, but we do have plenty of options back there.

Even so, think HHK and those aforementioned names is plenty of depth. Ronke would only be replacing Papley in our starting 22 on role, and Wicks is next in-line, and Sheldrick would probably be close next year. Sheather obviously another option even if he does end up a defender, but we do have plenty of options back there.

Guess it depends whether like Clarke he can transform himself into another role meaning a utility value. Think we keep all bar one of those, and the one we rookie.

This draft is top heavy. Would be very keen to go into it with both our first round picks and grab 2 talls - 1 for either end.

We also really need a general defender. Hoping we keep Gould but every chance he decides to leave.

Depends. There are still some good mids too. I'd be temped to grab a genuine wingman too or a running HB. I feel one of the top two picks has to be a tall. I'd also be satisfied to package them potentially to trade up.

Depends. There are still some good mids too. I'd be temped to grab a genuine wingman too or a running HB. I feel one of the top two picks has to be a tall. I'd also be satisfied to package them potentially to trade up.
I'd say wing / half-back is the least of our concerns, behind every other position. Plenty of players in the 22 and outside of it can do those roles. Blakey, JMac, Florent, Stephens, Campbell (prefer wing), Gulden (wing), we also just drafted Warner jnr as a winger (Rankin can also play HB/wing), and that's before looking at the older guard who still have a few years left (Lloyd, Cunningham, Fox, COR) who can play those roles to varying degrees.

I'd say wing / half-back is the least of our concerns, behind every other position. Plenty of players in the 22 and outside of it can do those roles. Blakey, JMac, Florent, Stephens, Campbell (prefer wing), Gulden (wing), we also just drafted Warner jnr as a winger (Rankin can also play HB/wing), and that's before looking at the older guard who still have a few years left (Lloyd, Cunningham, Fox, COR) who can play those roles to varying degrees.

You can never have too many game breakers, you need HB's.

When we drafted HHK I wondered if we picked him up to play a 3rd "tall" forward role, where one day we might just have the 2 genuine talls, plus a couple of Heeney, HHK, Parker types that can lead or compete in the air. If he's tracking well at the end of the year, it'd move KPD much more into the priority zone than a KPF. Has what it takes to dominate a game, but needs to be involved consistently.

We might look at an academy product, someone like Felix Rogers, but haven't heard much about him recently. He was looking promising. He'd just be a rookie pick probably.

And I'm on the "Ronke needs to be dominating reserves" to get another deal. Maybe he doesn't break into seniors, but he needs to be knocking the door down. If he's only just competitive at that level in what he knows might be his last chance (fairly lucky to get this year), then may as well bring someone else in.

We've also got a packed list, and a few we might need to move from rookies to senior list (Fox, McCartin, Wicks, McLean, Sheather). So we might need to make more space even if the 4 or 5 expected retirements/cuts happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back