List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This draft is top heavy. Would be very keen to go into it with both our first round picks and grab 2 talls - 1 for either end.

We also really need a general defender. Hoping we keep Gould but every chance he decides to leave.
Not sure Gould will leave. Is he going to get an offer anywhere else if he does?

I think he either gets delisted and plays at state level next year, or he gets another 1 year contract if we think he can crack the best 22 next year.

You can never have too many game breakers, you need HB's.
I mean I just listed 4 best-22 players who play half-back, and only one of them is over 25. Plus a host of others who can play the role. But sure, let's load up on a position we have plenty of talent and depth in.

I mean I just listed 4 best-22 players who play half-back, and only one of them is over 25. Plus a host of others who can play the role. But sure, let's load up on a position we have plenty of talent and depth in.

The HB position with the game is close to the most critical, if there is a HB we have high on our board I won't be disappointed we take him. I still want one tall but I do feel we may take a small of some sort too

The HB position with the game is close to the most critical, if there is a HB we have high on our board I won't be disappointed we take him. I still want one tall but I do feel we may take a small of some sort too
If we stay with our current picks, I'd be surprised if we don't draft a mid with a first rounder. Not saying we need to, but we've been on a mid drafting frenzy recently (including several who are more outside/wing types), and Dalrymple loves a mid, so it'll happen regardless of what we want. Absolutely with you on the other needing to be a tall, preferably KPD. Someone like Hustwaite intrigues me because he was firming as a KPD, then has performed well when thrown into the mids, would certainly give us a different dynamic.

Just see a half-back/wing as the least of our worries - behind all of - KPD, KPF, ruck (though I think McAndrew, academy kids are already prospects), small/med defender (not half-back), inside mid (though we just need to be patient on Roberts, Sheldrick, Gulden).

If we stay with our current picks, I'd be surprised if we don't draft a mid with a first rounder. Not saying we need to, but we've been on a mid drafting frenzy recently (including several who are more outside/wing types), and Dalrymple loves a mid, so it'll happen regardless of what we want. Absolutely with you on the other needing to be a tall, preferably KPD. Someone like Hustwaite intrigues me because he was firming as a KPD, then has performed well when thrown into the mids, would certainly give us a different dynamic.

Just see a half-back/wing as the least of our worries - behind all of - KPD, KPF, ruck (though I think McAndrew, academy kids are already prospects), small/med defender (not half-back), inside mid (though we just need to be patient on Roberts, Sheldrick, Gulden).

This is why I'm tempted to trade next year's first into this year, maybe a late first there. Then package this year's plus the Dees for a higher pick, potentially with Busslinger the one I'm going hard for. Is that possible I don't know but definitely something I'd consider. Feel a KPD should be the main target we have KPF's.

This is why I'm tempted to trade next year's first into this year, maybe a late first there. Then package this year's plus the Dees for a higher pick, potentially with Busslinger the one I'm going hard for. Is that possible I don't know but definitely something I'd consider. Feel a KPD should be the main target we have KPF's.
I'm only sold on Logan, and that's largely because of how highly he was rated / the glimpses you see. McLean and Amartey might be decent 2nd or 3rd options, but I also wouldn't be surprised if one or both aren't around in a few years. My focus on KPD is more that if we cop an injury, we have Melican or an untried Gould to fall back on, whereas up forward, McLean, Logan, Amartey are more known factors.

I'm all for trading in next years 1st rounder, do one last load up at the draft, hope that one of our 1st rounders breaks out quickly while Buddy, Rampe, Reid, Hickey etc are still around for a flag push next year.

The danger in trying to trade up though, is that we might lose some value, i.e. pay overs, to get to say Pick 10, then Busslinger goes at 8 or 9, entirely possible. Then we lost value for no reward. If there's say a couple of players around the 10 mark that we really rate, even if one's a mid or something else, then yeah, it's a fair idea. We'd just have to have a backup plan and maybe pay up a bit more on our next pick, to get the next best KPD.

Not sure Gould will leave. Is he going to get an offer anywhere else if he does?

I think he either gets delisted and plays at state level next year, or he gets another 1 year contract if we think he can crack the best 22 next year.
Gould is better than most defenders running around in the VFL plus hew was rated very highly as a junior. It wouldn't shock me if a few clubs aren't sniffing around

I'm only sold on Logan, and that's largely because of how highly he was rated / the glimpses you see. McLean and Amartey might be decent 2nd or 3rd options, but I also wouldn't be surprised if one or both aren't around in a few years.

I'm all for trading in next years 1st rounder, do one last load up at the draft, hope that one of our 1st rounders breaks out quickly while Buddy, Rampe, Reid, Hickey etc are still around for a flag push next year.

The danger in trying to trade up though, is that we might lose some value, i.e. pay overs, to get to say Pick 10, then Busslinger goes at 8 or 9, entirely possible. Then we lost value for no reward. If there's say a couple of players around the 10 mark that we really rate, even if one's a mid or something else, then yeah, it's a fair idea. We'd just have to have a backup plan and maybe pay up a bit more on our next pick, to get the next best KPD.

I'd live trade it, not before the draft, so say Busslinger is there at pick 8-9, offer overs to trade up and get him using our Future 1st. I'd be waiting till draft night to even do this. If he goes top 5, forget it would cost too much however the whispers are he is slipping a bit. Could we get him at 8-12? It has to be an option.

I'd live trade it, not before the draft, so say Busslinger is there at pick 8-9, offer overs to trade up and get him using our Future 1st. I'd be waiting till draft night to even do this. If he goes top 5, forget it would cost too much however the whispers are he is slipping a bit. Could we get him at 8-12? It has to be an option.
We'd have to reach out to clubs around that mark beforehand, to see if they're willing to trade. Looking at them now, it's Port, Saints, Dogs, Tigers - not sure any of them (in the finals picture next year, at least what they would hope to be), would trade back just to get a couple of picks. If Port keep Hinkley, he won't dilute their draft, he'll be all in. Similarly the others might want to grab a talent that could perform sooner, rather than dilute their hand. Anyway, it's worth considering if we rate Busslinger or someone further up.

We'd have to reach out to clubs around that mark beforehand, to see if they're willing to trade. Looking at them now, it's Port, Saints, Dogs, Tigers - not sure any of them (in the finals picture next year, at least what they would hope to be), would trade back just to get a couple of picks. If Port keep Hinkley, he won't dilute their draft, he'll be all in. Similarly the others might want to grab a talent that could perform sooner, rather than dilute their hand. Anyway, it's worth considering if we rate Busslinger or someone further up.

Saints might. Getting two assets for them might be better than one

Personally just take the best available. I don't care what position it is. We're pretty much covered on all lines now so just start stacking the talent. If they're good enough they'll force their way into the line up or they'll get us some good picks when they leave.

If I had to pick a player I'd say a Elijah Taylor type, x-factor forward without the off field dramas. He would be just about one of our best players right now if he didn't piss it up the wall.

Personally just take the best available. I don't care what position it is. We're pretty much covered on all lines now so just start stacking the talent. If they're good enough they'll force their way into the line up or they'll get us some good picks when they leave.

If I had to pick a player I'd say a Elijah Taylor type, x-factor forward without the off field dramas. He would be just about one of our best players right now if he didn't piss it up the wall.
Have to disagree that we're covered on all lines. Especially when you take into account the ages of players in certain positions, we're close to having no KPD and KPF depth. Ruck too, but as I've said we're already / about to address that to some degree.

I.e.

What do our KPDs look like when Rampe retires (probably by next year)? We'd need Melican or Gould to slot in seamlessly (not a given), and the other would be our only depth.

What do our KPFs look like when Buddy, Reid retire (probably by next year)? We then have to rely on a forward line of Logan, McLean, Amartey (which isn't necessarily guaranteed), and then, even assuming that forward line works well, who is our KPF depth?

Similar for small/med defenders (like actual defenders, not half backs like Lloyd, JMac) - Fox, Cunningham are late 20s, though we're starting to address this by moving Florent there (in a kind of hybrid role), which is keeping Cunningham out, and have Rankin, Sheather playing in defence at VFL level.

At least in midfield, wing, half-back, smaller forwards we don't have any impending (best 22) retirements, so the depth at VFL level isn't suddenly going to be required to step up into seniors, leaving a hole.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox yet to be offered a contract by the Swans apparently.

For the love of God Swans PLEASE do not **** this up again!

Would be getting decent offers. If he goes I do not want to hear one ill word spoken about him.

Have to disagree that we're covered on all lines. Especially when you take into account the ages of players in certain positions, we're close to having no KPD and KPF depth. Ruck too, but as I've said we're already / about to address that to some degree.

I.e.

What do our KPDs look like when Rampe retires (probably by next year)? We'd need Melican or Gould to slot in seamlessly (not a given), and the other would be our only depth.

What do our KPFs look like when Buddy, Reid retire (probably by next year)? We then have to rely on a forward line of Logan, McLean, Amartey (which isn't necessarily guaranteed), and then, even assuming that forward line works well, who is our KPF depth?

Similar for small/med defenders (like actual defenders, not half backs like Lloyd, JMac) - Fox, Cunningham are late 20s, though we're starting to address this by moving Florent there (in a kind of hybrid role), which is keeping Cunningham out, and have Rankin, Sheather playing in defence at VFL level.

At least in midfield, wing, half-back, smaller forwards we don't have any impending (best 22) retirements, so the depth at VFL level isn't suddenly going to be required to step up into seniors, leaving a hole.
Bang on the major issue. Drafting is generally to get a player for a couple of seasons down the track. Trading is for now.
If possible (ie if gettable) I would like to trade in a lock down KPD to allow Paddy to fully take over Rampe's floating role.
For the draft a KPD and a KPF for development and depth.
A project ruck would be good too but not at an early pick.
Not sure what the Academy has to offer. King might for instance be that KPF.
With our picks we should be able to get a quality midfielder as well.
I can't see us "upgrading" players from rookie to senior list as we will need senior list spaces for the draft. There might need to be some delisting re-rookying. I also don't see us delisting more than we need to as we have a nice settled player group.

Can we breathe and realize it’s a media report only? The same media who guess most of the time and have NFI the other times.

They have no idea of what’s going on with our contracts. Fox isn’t the only contract. I highly doubt we let him go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bang on the major issue. Drafting is generally to get a player for a couple of seasons down the track. Trading is for now.
If possible (ie if gettable) I would like to trade in a lock down KPD to allow Paddy to fully take over Rampe's floating role.
For the draft a KPD and a KPF for development and depth.
A project ruck would be good too but not at an early pick.
Not sure what the Academy has to offer. King might for instance be that KPF.
With our picks we should be able to get a quality midfielder as well.
I can't see us "upgrading" players from rookie to senior list as we will need senior list spaces for the draft. There might need to be some delisting re-rookying. I also don't see us delisting more than we need to as we have a nice settled player group.
We just can't win the "trade in best 22 <insert position>" (or those that will be in 1-2 years) battle anymore without COLA / being a NSW club, unless a player really really wants to join us specifically. We got lucky with Ladhams being unhappy at Port, having good memories of interactions with us/staff. It's a nice idea, but we're generally only going to be able to get players no-one else wants, maybe we get lucky, maybe we don't. Mature agers in the draft/rookie draft are a possibility.

McAndrew, with possibilities in King and Edwards, are your project rucks. The latter two aren't likely to be high picks given they aren't exactly garnering attention with form. I think the likely avenue is that we pick up another journeyman, solid backup from a state league or delisting - once Hickey retires, to provide backup to Ladhams, while these guys develop. I'm more hopeful on Ladhams being our no.1 ruck now than when we traded him in.

If I were Paddy, Fox, McLean and Wicks (in that order), and we said "hey, fancy staying a rookie on SFA money?", I'd be looking to go to another club that values me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back