Autopsy 2022 Rd 21 Last quarter surge masks woeful performance

Who wishes I'd stop stuffing around with this poll after a loss?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for shits and giggles
Here’s the 2 previous games as well
Adelaide game
Cerra 15 - 0
Kennedy 10-1
Crippa 18-4
Walsh 14-3
Fish 8-0

Gws Game
Crippa 21-2
Cerra 13-0
Kennedy 17-0
Walsh 15-4
Fish 9-0
So Cerra has had 2 centre clearance over 3 games & 53 attempts
Fish has had zero for 28 attempts
For the record Dow 7 - 24 over his 2 games.
Reckon there’s an issue?
Not saying Dow fixes it, but surely u roll something different thru

Fish attend 11 centre bounces for 0 clearances
Crippa 29 for 0
Cerra 25 for 2
Walsh 25 for 2
Dow 9 for 3 clearances
How does that work?
Buts let’s keep rolling thru the same centre set up
TDK did not help the problem
Says all year he’s an inside mid and there’s no spots, finally he is played, gets 63% game time and mostly as a hff, strange. Probably next years Will Brodie

Just for shits and giggles
Here’s the 2 previous games as well
Adelaide game
Cerra 15 - 0
Kennedy 10-1
Crippa 18-4
Walsh 14-3
Fish 8-0

Gws Game
Crippa 21-2
Cerra 13-0
Kennedy 17-0
Walsh 15-4
Fish 9-0
So Cerra has had 2 centre clearance over 3 games & 53 attempts
Fish has had zero for 28 attempts
For the record Dow 7 - 24 over his 2 games.
Reckon there’s an issue?
Not saying Dow fixes it, but surely u roll something different thru

Wow, along with the weekend game that's just shocking.

Surely that's the main problem right there and George is obviously not the difference.

Appears the midfield has completely stopped doing what it was doing earlier in the season.

Having said that I watched the highlights of the Brissy game and geez the amount of errors that resulted directly in goals in the first half was just next level.

Players have for some reason lost their way big time.

Here's a play shortly after halftime and there's just no effort.

Defenders are stationary, playmakers are leisurely strolling past one another, small forwards turning their back on the ball carrier. A half arsed lead from Marchbank is the second best effort I can pick out.

Credit to McKay who provides overlap, and doubles back for the lead.

This whole attacking play though is shut down by the opposition with barely any need to exert energy. It's little wonder how they're able to surge forward and counter attack so efficiently.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (16).gif

Proven that we aren't up to it, carrying too many passengers, too many out of our midfield and too many who have missed too much football. Our intensity we play at is a couple of steps behind the best.

Lack of body strength. This is a big issue over the board. Our players were out tackled and monstered in one on ones. I know we are young but they are fairly young too. Questions need to be asked of our conditioning staff. Our players aren't strong and aren't elite runners so what are they?

Not playing as a team. Our main ball winners don't do enough to bring others into the game, use handball and go to the runners.

No running from behind the play. It's really bad how we don't have players running from behind and through the contests to receive and apply pressure and tackle. Setup around stoppages and from half back is questionable.

Forward structures. We don't have forwards leading up at the ball, we bomb it on the heads of them and that is what defenders love, it's a s**t tactic. Our small forwards are rarely in the right position and we lack alternative options to go to other than McKay and Curnow.

Docherty - Good player, just wish we didn't have to put up with those couple of howlers every game, still makes up for it most of the time.

Walsh - He was good but he wasn't super influential, they were onto him tackling wise, I find his ball use at stoppages is poor, he doesn't use handball enough and that could be to do with our midfield structures.

Cripps - Another who I feel doesn't use handball enough and does not play the right way to bring team mates on the outside into the game.

Saad - Brilliant player.

Cerra - mediocre. Another player who was elite at the beginning of the year and has regressed to mediocre.

McGovern - Felt he was pretty good apart from a few mistakes, that's just from lack of match fitness.

O'Brien - I thought he was pretty good, got involved, had a crack and looked like he had turned up.

Setterfield - Just mediocre, I think for him he's moving well but he's not a wingman.

Cottrell - Just floats about on the outside, runs up and down, does nothing until everyone is tired and gets a heap of cheap kicks. Dow cops a lot of criticism for not chasing but this bloke is worse. Jogging at the ball carrier is token pressure and token pressure is not real pressure at all. His defensive game, his pressure game is garbage.

Fisher - Another player who had a shocker. Used the ball poorly. Can't tackle. Little blokes need to be able to get involved in the contest and apply pressure.

Weitering - He has been in poor form, showed signs he's turning that around. His body strength has regressed.

Dow - Looked like he was playing in a strange team with a bunch of strangers and that was exactly the case here. Didn't do much, had a few moments where he failed to make a contest he would like back, did nothing to suggest he should have been in the team to begin with.

Newnes - As usual absolutely butchered it. Playing as a makeshift defender, does not do that well.

Curnow - Opportunities looked limited and his day was a quiet one.

Martin - Another underdone player who just hasn't turned up this season. No idea what happened to the player who was capable of playing hard footy on the ball and up forward from a year or two ago.

Young - After a couple of stinkers I thought he was ok. He needs to do something about his lack of body strength.

McKay - Playing like he should be dropped, his game has been garbage. His body strength is terrible, he gets monstered by every opponent who comes up against him. He's constantly being outmarked. His positioning is terrible, he's never leading up at the ball he's always in a spot where he is finding it going straight to him. He has been extremely poor of late, looked really second rate.

Silvagni - He was dropped last week and he justified that call, could not find it up forward and went down back where he also looked poor.

Marchbank - He was quiet but he wasn't poor. He's very underdone by his standards.

Owies - He looked like one of the few guys in the team who could tackle, he had a go early but his game was poor. Butchered it by foot which is not the norm for him.

DeKoning - Did absolutely nothing.

Motlop - He tried hard from limited opportunity and kicked two goals.

Durdin - Came on late and had a little impact.

Watched the game expecting us to break down but still hoping somehow we would just be frenetic and win. Didn’t happen and the same weaknesses to the fore. Poor CBAs in the middle and mostly going up the wing all day where we hit a roadblock. Forwards didn’t get much of a look most of the day which is where our strength is through Curnow and Harry. The last few weeks have seen them outnumbered 2 and 3 to one continually. We are getting strangled in transition and this sits with Voss and the coaching group.

For mine it’s TDK and the midfield where most of the blame lies first. Second it is Voss because without centre clearances we are very very one dimensional coming out of defence. Hamill needs some set plays. The team needs a kicker who should be given a licence to hit targets anywhere (Saad).

I watched the Pies for the first time in a while. They are less predictable coming out of defence. The Daicos boys at times take on a kick through the corridor with their kicking skills. Not only does this ultimately result in a shot on goal when it comes off it then forces the opponents defensive structure to shift freeing up one wing side or other other. Carlton need to threaten the corridor through Saad and Doch to lessen the numbers defending down one wing. They need to use all three avenues 2x wings and the corridor to change what is going on.

The this player played poorly is less of a thing for me overall. The bottleneck on the wing is making them all look bad and at time frustrated and lacking effort. Their heads go down a little in wasted effort. Yes I think they did s**t the bed a little with fishers miss changing his mind on kick type and Owies mess up in the first qtr. TDK indivually was horrific.

There seemed on the surface a very basic difference in coming out of defence. They waltzed it out while we struggle from a point kick in. Voss I think must have us dropping to far back too quickly. No pressure it seemed On their kick ins. Will have to watch back to check.

Prior to the start of the season we had some weaknesses. Ruck, wingers and KPDer. we thought we could cover the wings with Cerra and Walsh lessening that impact. That hasn’t happened. Some players we wanted as cover are again prime time in every week due to injuries. We are playing quite a few we didn’t have in our best 22. Eventually the lack of quality does tell.

Fix the ruckman. Force someone to kick into the corridor. I watched the kick ins each time and there is an option every time alsmost. No one has the confidence. Fix this quick.

Says all year he’s an inside mid and there’s no spots, finally he is played, gets 63% game time and mostly as a hff, strange. Probably next years Will Brodie
Dow is way too soft to make it anywhere.

How many full time inside midfielders are as frightened of contact and rattled as easily as Paddy?

He is far more likely to go the way as SPS and be as just average at another club.

How many full time inside midfielders are as frightened of contact and rattled as easily as Paddy?

He is far more likely to go the way as SPS and be as just average at another club.

Soft or no IQ. One of the two. Or both.

Before this game I had watched Dow previously and saw how wide his turning circle was on reverse transition. That and his poor kicking. In this game and forgetting him playing out of position those same traits were there. Kicked over a team mates head by more than 5 metres. He has no ‘feel’ at all. And he couldn’t turn in one exchange as he went in a huge circle.

The third play I saw him was when he had poor footy IQ late in game. Was on a Brisbane players hammer but didn’t even see the chance to crush him in a tackle and the player escaped. Horrendous lack on any IQ.

Forgetting Carlton. Every other list manager just went bullet dodged.

Still if you pick an inside mid, you play him as an inside mid. Was on a hiding to nothing the way he was used (and he clearly didn't help himself at all with the way he played)

Surely gets more centre bounces attendances with 3/9 clearances if he plays this week

Sent from my CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still if you pick an inside mid, you play him as an inside mid. Was on a hiding to nothing the way he was used (and he clearly didn't help himself at all with the way he played)

Surely gets more centre bounces attendances with 3/9 clearances if he plays this week

Sent from my CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He wasn’t influential, regardless if he was converting more from his CBA’s than our other mids. What did those clearances lead to?

As I’ve said earlier ITT I’m sure opposition ruckman are happy to put the ball into Dow’s area and back their on baller to win it - if not he’s likely to make some dumb frightened mistake anyway.

He wasn’t influential, regardless if he was converting more from his CBA’s than our other mids. What did those clearances lead to?

As I’ve said earlier ITT I’m sure opposition ruckman are happy to put the ball into Dow’s area and back their on baller to win it - if not he’s likely to make some dumb frightened mistake anyway.
So it’s now his fault if wins the clearance & someone else stuffs up?
It’s better not to win the clearance??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's irrelevant if mids, wings and half forwards continue to be ignore blokes in space 25-30m from goal, directly in front. Only to kick it to Harry/Charlie leading at the boundary line while being manhandled and double teamed.

If they hit up the free player, then the opposition have to respect that and it makes it harder to double H and C

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
This.

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

At least Dow might now get a chance now with Cripps out. IMO, he only has a chance as see ball get ball inside mid. He might get that chance this week.

I don’t rate him based on small things I see. But I do want to see him this week play a role he might want. All of us are hoping he kills it for either retain or trade value depending on where you stand on him.

I thought he was the second biggest disaster behind TDK on the weekend.

What was his major action with those clearances? His upfield teammates can’t do much about hacked kicks forward.

Winning clearance counts means SFA if you’re turning the ball over or reverting into defensive positions after you’ve won the stoppage. Plus we know once the ball is in motion Dow is useless.

He’s just so, so bad on so many levels.

I dont know about Dow. I cant be bothered watching the replay to highlight the time he had the ball kicked to him where he did not have any awareness of who was around him (BL player approx 20m behind him. The ball was slightly overcooked and going over his head.

He leaped in the air and instead of stretching to mark or get a touch to create a play on situation, He did not raise his arms and curled forward in mid air expecting to be crunched by the pack and opposition player. Not sure if anyone else can remember this.

If i was Voss i would have called him to the bench and given him some stern words on the phone.

Haven’t seen the game. Recorded it…..should I watch it or let it slide?
I went for a run with some mates, got home feeling good. Got a quick 5 min summary from my 11 y/o and have little desire to watch a good last quarter. I'm sure you will pick up enough on here!

Absolutely heartbreaking that Dow and SPS were complete wastes of picks 3 & 6 respectively. Dow has had 5 seasons to justify why he was selected at pick 3 and is still completely not up tp AFL level: he actually reminds me a lot of Nick Graham - killed it in the 2's but couldn't handle the elevation to the 1's. We could've taken any of Aaron Naughton, Noah Balta, Oscar Allen, Liam Ryan, Ed Richards, or Bayley Fritsch for where we took Dow in the 2017 draft. SOS didn't have many missteps while recruiting for us but Dow & Seton were 2 huge ones. And tbf I think the jury is still out on Lochie O - taken by SOS as another top 10 pick. Setterfield is a top 5 pick also that has failed to justify that early selection. I fully expect Dow & Setters to be moved on at season's end and probably for 3rd round picks at best.

Absolutely heartbreaking that Dow and SPS were complete wastes of picks 3 & 6 respectively. Dow has had 5 seasons to justify why he was selected at pick 3 and is still completely not up tp AFL level: he actually reminds me a lot of Nick Graham - killed it in the 2's but couldn't handle the elevation to the 1's. We could've taken any of Aaron Naughton, Noah Balta, Oscar Allen, Liam Ryan, Ed Richards, or Bayley Fritsch for where we took Dow in the 2017 draft. SOS didn't have many missteps while recruiting for us but Dow & Seton were 2 huge ones. And tbf I think the jury is still out on Lochie O - taken by SOS as another top 10 pick. Setterfield is a top 5 pick also that has failed to justify that early selection. I fully expect Dow & Setters to be moved on at season's end and probably for 3rd round picks at best.
That 2017 top end was pretty hard to pick. Rayner was an upside selection, Brayshaw could have easily just been a good accumulator (and tbh I think he’s a little overrated currently), Dow has been terrible, LDU took a while to come on, Cerra is passable but a bit vanilla and Stephenson was pretty flash-in-the pan and doesn’t look like he could give two shits.

Not a good pool to have a couple of Top 10 picks which we’ve probably butchered.

Setterfield was all hype as a junior - compared to Bontempelli when he was emerging as a star - and probably got too many plaudits despite a moderate week-to-week statline.

Needless to say if any of those guys have’ve come on as mids or showed the capacity to develop into at least decent flankers we’d be in a much better position and wouldn’t have needed to recruit Hewett and Cerra.

Those hard at it, multiple premiership winning, best and fairest winning and All Australian characters, can get stuffed because they are a bit rough.

He broke Cripps jaw, so what.

We need to target players with a winning mentality, I couldn’t care less if they were thugs.
So you're cool with potentially killing someone with a cowards punch? cool cool

That 2017 top end was pretty hard to pick. Rayner was an upside selection, Brayshaw could have easily just been a good accumulator (and tbh I think he’s a little overrated currently), Dow has been terrible, LDU took a while to come on, Cerra is passable but a bit vanilla and Stephenson was pretty flash-in-the pan and doesn’t look like he could give two shits.

Not a good pool to have a couple of Top 10 picks which we’ve probably butchered.

Setterfield was all hype as a junior - compared to Bontempelli when he was emerging as a star - and probably got too many plaudits despite a moderate week-to-week statline.

Needless to say if any of those guys have’ve come on as mids or showed the capacity to develop into at least decent flankers we’d be in a much better position and wouldn’t have needed to recruit Hewett and Cerra.
Well said: couldn't agree more amigo.

walsh literally ran the wrong way 20m, to go behind Gov and get a cheap handball receive. Maybe he should not accumulate cheap possessions and get up the field and be more damaging

His kick after that handball receive was to bomb it long 50m, something Gov could have done on either foot with his eyes closed - just a bullshit possession, padding his stats
Yes at the moment Walsh is everywhere and nowhere at the same time ..also has a habit of not
Giving first option and getting caught with the ball .. the idea of us giving the opposition a spare behind the ball so there opponent can kick it to them is doing my head in ..

Back