Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R22 2022

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordan Dawson

• Ben Davis (sub)

• Jordon Butts

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Lachlan Murphy

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad doesn't play as a big bodied midfielder though. It's not size that matters
This is true but he is around average size for mids and I'm fine with that. JHF is similar.

The fact we have nothng close to ave size in Laird, Schoenberg, Berry, Soligo, Taylor, Rachele, if he goes in there, McHenry, Jones, as all are on small size being sub 181cm.
So if size doesn't matter name the last premiership with all mids under 185cm nevermind 181cm?
None this century so you have to ask the question why?

If the average mid is 7cm taller then that gets to around 10cm extra in reach and 7-10kgs in weight.

The job becomes even harder if you don't have a dominant ruck to hit it to space.

People can use emotion as much as they want and suggest players to back up their beliefs about size doesn't matter but the list of premiership winners since 2000 produce a set of facts and statistics that clearly says you need at least one 185cm+ mid who is elite.

Since 2000 something like 75% of Norm Smith Medalists are drafted not traded in and are over 185cm and are mids.

So if you're bottoming out to rebuild for a premiership logic is put the odds in your favour and we haven't done it.

The way Richmond are towelling up the Hawks we will probably go ahead of them on %. If Richmond extend their lead to 100 points it will probably happen.
Hawks still comfortability 1.6% clear.

Watched the replay this morning (yes I'm bored). I think Doedee slipped over once in a marking contest on the wing and aside from that, didn't do much wrong for the entire game. Good defensively and clean. Not sure why he got such criticism

Schoenberg was also okay in the first 3 quarters
Yeah I watched it too, not sure why he was getting bagged

This is true but he is around average size for mids and I'm fine with that. JHF is similar.

The fact we have nothng close to ave size in Laird, Schoenberg, Berry, Soligo, Taylor, Rachele, if he goes in there, McHenry, Jones, as all are on small size being sub 181cm.
So if size doesn't matter name the last premiership with all mids under 185cm nevermind 181cm?
None this century so you have to ask the question why?

If the average mid is 7cm taller then that gets to around 10cm extra in reach and 7-10kgs in weight.

The job becomes even harder if you don't have a dominant ruck to hit it to space.

People can use emotion as much as they want and suggest players to back up their beliefs about size doesn't matter but the list of premiership winners since 2000 produce a set of facts and statistics that clearly says you need at least one 185cm+ mid who is elite.

Since 2000 something like 75% of Norm Smith Medalists are drafted not traded in and are over 185cm and are mids.

So if you're bottoming out to rebuild for a premiership logic is put the odds in your favour and we haven't done it.
Hawks with Mitchell (1.8), Hodge (just 1.85) and Lewis and Burgoyne listed as just 1cm above your cut off of over 185?

Last edited:
Yep..

No point burning that place down.. the club and its supporters pretty much burn it down themselves, figuratively speaking, nearly every week.

Its why they need to continue to fight the prison bars fight.. its the only way they can get everyone on the same page and fighting the same enemy.. if they dont, they end up fighting each other!

They drag out the prison bars argument everytime s**t goes south for them these days.. its a distraction their moronic, gullible supporters fall for everytime.
I had this conversation with a port supporter mate the other day, funny how when they can't make finals the prison bars issue comes out again. Tried to show him the shiny toy they are using while the nurse give them the injection but would cop it.

Watched the replay this morning (yes I'm bored). I think Doedee slipped over once in a marking contest on the wing and aside from that, didn't do much wrong for the entire game. Good defensively and clean. Not sure why he got such criticism

Schoenberg was also okay in the first 3 quarters
I see a lot of good things McHenry does too but he gets bagged all the time

Hawks with Mitchell (1.8), Hodge (just 1.85) and Lewis and Burgoyne listed as just 1cm above your cut off of over 185?
Its not my cut off it what the statistics show. Compare that to the 178, 178, 179 and 180, 180, 180, 181 we have currently.
That is potentially all 3 mids 2-3 inches shorter in a lot of set ups.

The point is we don't currently have anyone decent close to 185cm and we arent intending to draft anyone.

Why has no midfield with only small midfielders like ours won a flag?

Interesting none of the absolute champion smaller mids under 183cm like Mitchell, Ablett Jnr, Selwood, Cousins, Voss, Akermanis, have won a Norm Smith in the past 20 years.

As I said we will have to create modern history to win a flag with our current midfielders

Its not my cut off it what the statistics show. Compare that to the 178, 178, 179 and 180, 180, 180, 181 we have currently.

The point is we don't currently have anyone decent close to 185cm and we arent intending to draft anyone.

Interesting none of the absolute champion smaller mids under 183cm like Mitchell, Ablett Jnr, Selwood, Cousins, Voss, Akermanis, have won a Norm Smith in the past 20 years.

As I said we will have to create modern history to win a flag with our current midfielders
Maybe we need to see how some develop that are already on our list and mostly in their development phase.

Lachlan Gollant 192cm in his brief NAB League career played wing/midfield though it seems that's not his end game with us

Brayden Cook 190cm wing/midfield is no doubt the end game for him.

Luke Nankervis 189cm another that only had a brief stint at NAB League level playing wing/half forward but Hamish said in his post draft interview the end game with him was likely midfield

Jackson Hately 191cm midfielder though I will grant you he has to this point not played like a bigger bodied mid does and he was a 1st round pick.

Brett Turner 185cm 88Kg midfielder/forward is certainly big bodied.

Out of interest how many of your Norm Smith Medalist winning midfielders were available to the Adelaide Crows with the draft picks we held?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I finally got around to watching the game (second half only).

Good
Schoenberg had some really clean clearances and his goal was electric.
Jones had a few really nice moments. Tough as nails.
Hinge continues some decent form.
Dawson was great although missed a few easy targets.
Mchenry (who I bag) had a couple of great moments. One when he bumped Anderson and won the ball and the other protecting Rowes soccer goal. More of that and less being ragdolled please.
Fogarty was immense. That poor point post almost copped his wrath.
Good to see RT out there.

Less good
Laird quiet but very forgiveable considering he has carried us all year. Same with Berry who still managed a truckload of tackles.
Doedee struggles maybe was more poor form than injuries. Can't keep his feet to save himself and his disposal is ordinary.
Smith didn't do a lot. For every goal he scores from outside 50 he misses 10. Give it up.

Ugly
Umpiring. Eleni is atrocious. She gets sucked into making decisions that 99% of umpires ignore.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

FaBfQfrUsAAjSmy

I find it very difficult to believe a few cms smaller would make such a difference and Berry and Pedlar are both listed at 182cm and 184cm, maybe traditionally slightly taller players play in the midfield but this has recently changed with a lot more of them coming through?

Maybe we need to see how some develop that are already on our list and mostly in their development phase.

Lachlan Gollant 192cm in his brief NAB League career played wing/midfield though it seems that's not his end game with us

Brayden Cook 190cm wing/midfield is no doubt the end game for him.

Luke Nankervis 189cm another that only had a brief stint at NAB League level playing wing/half forward but Hamish said in his post draft interview the end game with him was likely midfield

Jackson Hately 191cm midfielder though I will grant you he has to this point not played like a bigger bodied mid does and he was a 1st round pick.

Brett Turner 185cm 88Kg midfielder/forward is certainly big bodied.

Out of interest how many of your Norm Smith Medalist winning midfielders were available to the Adelaide Crows with the draft picks we held?
Maybe Elijah Holland's.
So what's the point of gutting the team going to the bottom and not get the most important ingredients for success?
Midfields win games and we choose to spend most of our high draft capital elsewhere along with winning pointless games to miss out on the very pointy end of the draft.

So out of all those you listhigglights the point of Hmish drafting. Apart from Cook absolutely zero draft capital invested in anything sthat represents the most important type of player in premiership success.
I'm glad you continual to ignore all the evidence and apologetic for a flawed list rebuild. If they trade a JHF type in it could well be the difference but to compare the list you present as possibilities is like picking 0 on the roulette wheel. The odds are hard at the pointy end never mind rookie picks.

Back