Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Why semis in week 2 though? In any knockout comp it's R16, quarters, semis, final. When you reach the point of having 4 teams playing off for 2 spots in the GF shouldn't those games be the semi finals?

Have a 3 week finals series.

PF.
SF.
GF.

No second chance in same finals series.

Fremantle’s 2019 Draft will go down as one of the best same draft hauls ever when it’s all said and done.
Off limited research so there could be others:

Hawks had
2001 hodge mitchel brown
2004 rough franklin Lewis young
(Priority pick)

Cats had
2001 Bartel Kelly Johnson and Ablett

Dockers
2019 serong young Henry Fredrick

A side note like hawks we had another good haul in 2016
Logue Darcy Cox Ryan

3 of the 4 have been AA squad or better.
2 of 4 have won a BnF
It’s a good draft for sure.

But there’s plenty of great draft hauls that set clubs up.

From Carlton specifically the 2015 draft is looking golden.

Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham (unfortunately been made of glass) and Silvagni.

It’s a good draft for sure.

But there’s plenty of great draft hauls that set clubs up.

From Carlton specifically the 2015 draft is looking golden.

Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham (unfortunately been made of glass) and Silvagni.
Yes of course but these kids are only in their 3rd year and are in our best players helped carry us to week 2 of finals.
That blues draft is 4 years prior and they won more then they lost for the first time in 2022
I won’t argue no more just bookmark it.

Yes of course but these kids are only in their 3rd year and are in our best players helped carry us to week 2 of finals.
That blues draft is 4 years prior and they won more then they lost for the first time in 2022
I won’t argue no more just bookmark it.
Ah okay sorry!

Serong, Young and Henry >>> Weitering, McKay and Curnow.

My bad!

There is zero point in offering 4 points for a win. 1 point is fine, 2 points ok if you don't like decimals for draws. but why 4?
Searched this up and it seems like 4 was chosen as it was preferred over 3 points for a win. And I think they didn't decide on 2 points for a win because of something to do with the SANFL (I don't know I just did a quick search).

But yeah I agree should be 2 for a win and 1 for a draw

Searched this up and it seems like 4 was chosen as it was preferred over 3 points for a win. And I think they didn't decide on 2 points for a win because of something to do with the SANFL (I don't know I just did a quick search).

But yeah I agree should be 2 for a win and 1 for a draw

4 points for a win works very well if you ever want to award bonus points (or impose penalty points).

For example, I have long believed that the way to increase scoring is to offer a bonus point for any team that scores 100 points in a match. Ie: win the game = 4 points. Win + score 100 = 5 points. Lose + score 100 = 1 point (ie; better than nothing).

Would never happen due to state leagues and cost but the AFL should have a seniors, reserves and under 18/19 comp. Every league in the country currently has this so the AFL should too
The best way to do this would be to have an Under 21s comp. You could have each club decide whether they want their younger draftees playing in this league if they are smaller bodies or if they want to put them in the VFL. The top-up players should be amateurs and the more mature of the under 18s players would also benefit from playing against players like this. It also benefits those who just missed out on being drafted to be under the nose of recruiters for another couple of years. The recruiters are still way too dismissive of young kids who aren't ready to be drafted at 18.

You will end up seeing a lot more key position and ruckmen picked early in the draft at the ages of 20 or 21 if this happens I reckon.

Luke Hodge is far and away worse than any of the usual targets of commentator criticism. Hearing random comments in that bogan accent "the blokes are gunna be runnin on empty" and his trying to get players off suspension because he likes them does my head in.

4 points for a win works very well if you ever want to award bonus points (or impose penalty points).

For example, I have long believed that the way to increase scoring is to offer a bonus point for any team that scores 100 points in a match. Ie: win the game = 4 points. Win + score 100 = 5 points. Lose + score 100 = 1 point (ie; better than nothing).
Bonus point for scoring will never come in when some teams are playing at an indoor stadium

Have a 3 week finals series.

PF.
SF.
GF.

No second chance in same finals series.

That would be quarters, semis, grand final. 7 finals instead of 9, no way the AFL bean counters would be on board.

I think the current final 8 system is fair given how inequitable the fixture is. If we played a full 34 round H&A season or had something like the NBA where teams play each other multiple times I'd be good with the straight knockout brackets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the expansion teams should have had or should now have a larger salary cap.

It’s hard to invest in GWS anymore knowing how many players have left.

Give them 10-20 years with an extra x% in the cap and taper it down over that period.

They need some form of equalisation to combat the void of club culture/history/supporters/big games etc that are appealing to big name players.

GWS did have pretty generous concessions but they were wound back early.

In hindsight starting out with $1m extra cap room made no sense given they only had 9 players with any AFL experience on the list, plus Izzy Folau. Would've made sense to have extra list spots the first two years, then cap space after that. Or at the least allow them to pay below the cap floor.

They've had 27 players born 1993 play for them. My club has had 5. That includes Cameron, Shiel, Smith, Treloar, Patton, Lobb, Adams, Greene, Coniglion Hoskin-Elliott... It's impossible to keep a core like that together, but also a different proposition when they are all the same age.

IMO GWS have for the most part been pretty well run. Just didn't capitalise 2016 when they had their best chance. When they've lost players they have usually got good returns, though the last few years with mediocre performances and a handful of players on huge contracts isn't good.

Is it an unpopular opinion to consider the Brownlow medal a complete waste of time? From the outdated 3-2-1 voting system to getting the umpires of all people to vote on it as well as the fact that it's a jumped-up state league award, I find the whole enterprise to be completely pointless.

Even the TV broadcast recognises this, as they long ago decided that the count was a waste of time so they rush through it as quick as they can in order to have more time for tedious segments where they interview boring players or have some generic band play boring songs.
I don't think Brownlow is perfect, I think forwards & defenders should get more credit however I think the umpires get it right more than the MVP awards.

Apologies for the timing, but now that he's retired, David Mundy 'legend of the game'... a bit strong?

It sounds a little like the Burgoyne resume to me, minus the premierships... stuck around for ever, one B&F, one AA, one year as captain. A very good, classy player who seemed to step up when it mattered, his peak coincided with Fremantle's, he's retired while still a strong contributer (he'd probably be expected to be in the top 6-8 or so in the Doig this year?) he seemed like one of the genuine good/humble guys and he even had a cool nickname.

But I feel like the two Josh Kennedys got nowhere near Mundy's attention when they announced their retirements, they were clearly more cooked than he was, but in my opinion they both just as clearly had better careers.

It's like Burgoyne who I expect will be in the hall of fame as soon as he's eligible, sure he's a hall of famer (one day), but he was probably in that 6-8 range among Hawthorn's best players in their early-mid 2010s dominance (and his individual accolades support this). With Mundy, does his longevity put his career above, say Brett Ratten, Kane Cornes, Josh Gibson, Joel Corey (who are all waiting) in the Hall of Fame pecking order? I love the guy like everyone does, but I say no.

Speaking of Kane Cornes, he's obviously a troll looking for a reaction with some of his opinions, but on balance I probably agree with him more often than I don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back