AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2022: Geelong v Sydney

Who will be premiers for 2022?

• Cats

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Swans

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not accusing any clubs but do the afl have any rules around payments, gifts, business dealings outside of the salary cap? For instance what’s to stop a rich group of benefactors topping up a players or their partners payments outside the sc for work they don’t actually need to perform? Surely the afl aren’t allowed to look at a players personal forms of income outside of the game?
What’s to hypothetically stop for instance Bassat saying to a player come to us mate on a basic payment so we can bring in a few other stars as well and when you’ve finished up I’ll put you on the seek payroll for a further five years for $500k per year but you won’t need to come to work.
Surely the afl can’t control that when a bloke is no longer even playing?
There must be heaps of loopholes to get around the sc that rich benefactors could exploit.

Not accusing any clubs but do the afl have any rules around payments, gifts, business dealings outside of the salary cap? For instance what’s to stop a rich group of benefactors topping up a players or their partners payments outside the sc for work they don’t actually need to perform? Surely the afl aren’t allowed to look at a players personal forms of income outside of the game?
What’s to hypothetically stop for instance Bassat saying to a player come to us mate on a basic payment so we can bring in a few other stars as well and when you’ve finished up I’ll put you on the seek payroll for a further five years for $500k per year but you won’t need to come to work.
There must be heaps of loopholes to get around the sc that rich benefactors could exploit.
Chris Judd - VISY ambassador…🤔

But they’ve been stuck in their ways playing an unsuccessful game plan and then changed it to win a flag.
Sorry still cant agree , they only needed a tweak , we have tried topping up , didn't work now were are trying youth , not in the same league

Sorry still cant agree , they only needed a tweak , we have tried topping up , didn't work now were are trying youth , not in the same league
Look our list isn’t as good as theirs. Doesn’t take a genius to notice that but I think tweaking our game plan will have more of an effect than you’d think.

Look our list isn’t as good as theirs. Doesn’t take a genius to notice that but I think tweaking our game plan will have more of an effect than you’d think.
Look, you're overrating the list like many others , for us to beat good teams we have to play at helter skelter pace and tackle like madmen , you cant do that every week and we don't have the skill to play like the cats so , tweaking the game plan is not going to help much IMO

Honestly cannot begrudge them this premiership.
They have been up there for so long and were the team to beat this season.
Kudos to Scott for changing up the game plan - shows it can be done.
Well done, Cats.

Paddy should’ve got the Norm Smith too.

I begrudge them. I grudge hard when I do grudge. ‘09 sucked.

It comes under the TPP these days

Look, you're overrating the list like many others , for us to beat good teams we have to play at helter skelter pace and tackle like madmen , you cant do that every week and we don't have the skill to play like the cats so , tweaking the game plan is not going to help much IMO
Collingwood do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood do it
He was a new coach with a totally different style , George you should know better , extraordinary things don't happen at st kilda unfortunately.
I think its more that Bucks had lost the group more than they didn't have the talent , do you really think Ratts can change how he coaches ? Maybe he can if he lets his off siders have more of a say as it seems to me the same old every game and he has no clue when we start getting pumped

Not to mention the piss easy draw the pies had from being 17th the year before

But they’ve been stuck in their ways playing an unsuccessful game plan and then changed it to win a flag.
Their way was resulting in prelims most years before they tweaked it. Our way for most of the last two years has been a bottom 4-6 profile so a tweak might get us to 9th.

I think that’s what frustrates me the most. Our list isn’t good enough but the gameplan is even worse, we just don’t do anything that the premiership teams do. No interceptor and never even try to manufacture a spare back there, don’t win contested ball and our pressure is abysmal. Then there’s overrating of ruckmen when there hasn’t exactly been any AA ruck duels in any of the grand finals lately. Ryder was a star but Campbell and Hunter are not and were a waste of time and space. We’re meant to have this super awesome Hawthorn-esque coaching staff and that’s what these brilliant minds come up with.

He was a new coach with a totally different style , George you should know better , extraordinary things don't happen at st kilda unfortunately.
I think its more that Bucks had lost the group more than they didn't have the talent , do you really think Ratts can change how he coaches ? Maybe he can if he lets his off siders have more of a say as it seems to me the same old every game and he has no clue when we start getting pumped

Sure they do, we had a decade of consistently pushing for top four and playing deep into finals, given the nature of sport it's silly to assume we won't get back there again.

Collingwood play at a breakneck speed and apply pressure better than most sides, no reason why we can't do that and play in that way with a change of gameplan. Scrap the long kicks down the line to a contest and emulate what the good sides do.

Ratts has already shown he can change how he coaches, we played different in 2020 to how we did this year as an example, and he wouldn't be a head coach in 2022 if he couldn't change a gameplan that he introduced when he coached Carlton in 2007.

Collingwood only played one less game than we did against sides who finished in the eight. Their success was definitely not due to an easy fixture, it was a complete buy-in from the playing group for a coach that developed a gameplan that wins big games.

Pies weren’t even a real 17th team last year. Had a lot of injuries if I remember correctly. And were a rabble with their list management.
Be interesting to see how they go next year.

Sure they do, we had a decade of consistently pushing for top four and playing deep into finals, given the nature of sport it's silly to assume we won't get back there again.

Collingwood play at a breakneck speed and apply pressure better than most sides, no reason why we can't do that and play in that way with a change of gameplan. Scrap the long kicks down the line to a contest and emulate what the good sides do.

Ratts has already shown he can change how he coaches, we played different in 2020 to how we did this year as an example, and he wouldn't be a head coach in 2022 if he couldn't change a gameplan that he introduced when he coached Carlton in 2007.

Collingwood only played one less game than we did against sides who finished in the eight. Their success was definitely not due to an easy fixture, it was a complete buy-in from the playing group for a coach that developed a gameplan that wins big games.
You really need to go back and read the post by premo who was saying how the cats have been there abouts for the last decade yet couldn't get the job done but this year with a few tweaks it worked , he suggested maybe the same could happen for us but the difference we have been less than average the last 10 years , i was simply saying you cant compare us to the cats over the last 10 years and think that a tweak is going to make us all of a sudden a contender.
I never said we wont get back to being a contender i just said a tweak is not going to do it as we are still a few cattle short ( Maybe Jezza can give us a few )
I still have doubts about Ratts even though i think he is a great guy , time will tell

Pies weren’t even a real 17th team last year. Had a lot of injuries if I remember correctly. And were a rabble with their list management.
Be interesting to see how they go next year.
That's like saying North weren't a real last , pretty sure they were , you cant count injury as a reason even if it is true because all teams have them

You really need to go back and read the post by premo who was saying how the cats have been there abouts for the last decade yet couldn't get the job done but this year with a few tweaks it worked , he suggested maybe the same could happen for us but the difference we have been less than average the last 10 years , i was simply saying you cant compare us to the cats over the last 10 years and think that a tweak is going to make us all of a sudden a contender.
I never said we wont get back to being a contender i just said a tweak is not going to do it as we are still a few cattle short ( Maybe Jezza can give us a few )
I still have doubts about Ratts even though i think he is a great guy , time will tell
Yeah I read that post and that's why I mentioned Collingwood instead as an example of a side that play fast and apply pressure and have turned it around.

Theyd be nothing stopping getting benefits outside the cap
Theyd be looopholes.

Wouldnt matter if we had people who could help in this regard....u need players wanting to come.

The only way to get to be a destination club is someone has to do the hard slog and get us a prem or 2 and then stay relevant to get the attraction ball rolling

Imo

Yeah I read that post and that's why I mentioned Collingwood instead as an example of a side that play fast and apply pressure and have turned it around.
Yeah they did with a totally new coaching panel , we wont have that luxury . As i said I'm not saying we wont turn it around but anyone thinking we are going to jump up to top 4 next year is in for some pain IMO

Yeah they did with a totally new coaching panel , we wont have that luxury . As i said I'm not saying we wont turn it around but anyone thinking we are going to jump up to top 4 next year is in for some pain IMO
I'm just responding to your comment that playing fast and applying pressure is not sustainable

I'm just responding to your comment that playing fast and applying pressure is not sustainable
Collingwood had a really good season - with a lot of luck involved. Had they lost all those close games, which they could easily have done, it would have been a very different story.
You’re right, not sustainable.

Collingwood had a really good season - with a lot of luck involved. Had they lost all those close games, which they could easily have done, it would have been a very different story.
You’re right, not sustainable.
I'm saying it is sustainable lol. If winning close games happens a few times you can put it down to luck but the amount of times they either won the close ones or came back from nowhere shows to me they are a well drilled side and bought that intensity consistently.

Back