AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2022: Geelong v Sydney

Who will be premiers for 2022?

• Cats

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Swans

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing Chris Scott finally release the shackles after almost 10 years makes me wonder whether Ross could do something similar if he ever gets another chance. All he really did was add fast ball movement to a team that was elite defensively for years and you know any Ross coached team will be elite defensively. Surely with Ross being in the media and seeing what wins flags he’d be all over that.

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
Good news is that 2009 Saints outscored 2022 Cats in behinds.

Just caught the pre-game entertainment, damn that was good. Light years better than most years. That’s what you get for digging deeper into the pocket.

Kudos Robbie (and Delta- wonder why Kylie didn’t do it, that would have been epic?).

Delta should have sung the anthem, she should have been the half time show, and she should have sung a song post match for good measure. She's better than what they had her doing.

I'm a little bit worried for this year Buddy LOL

Footy season feels like your mates have pushed you up to the top of a carpark ramp in a supermarket trolley. Trade and draft period is when they let you go and you tuck your fingers under your armpits and duck your head low and hope you don't go over. Survive that unscathed and footy season seems to be a serious of nervous moments to bring you back up top again.

Seeing Chris Scott finally release the shackles after almost 10 years makes me wonder whether Ross could do something similar if he ever gets another chance. All he really did was add fast ball movement to a team that was elite defensively for years and you know any Ross coached team will be elite defensively. Surely with Ross being in the media and seeing what wins flags he’d be all over that.

I thought that when Lyon introduced his methods, they started coming into play during 2008, and then we became more and more defensive throughout 2009.
I thought we were at our best early 2009, when the team still had strong attacking instincts, by 2010 we were really dour. ( I think loss of talent contributed as well ).

Lots of our scores were above 100 points in 2009, and there were plenty where we won by 70 or 80.
By the end of 2010, we were playing some horribly low scoring games.

Even back there i thought we'd taken it too far. But i also think that Lyon was using defensive play to compensate for an over the hill , and patched up list.

Just caught the pre-game entertainment, damn that was good. Light years better than most years. That’s what you get for digging deeper into the pocket.

Kudos Robbie (and Delta- wonder why Kylie didn’t do it, that would have been epic?).

Hard to admit for me but he was a good choice.

Grant Thomas was ahead of his time.

The way footy is played these days looks so much like us in 04/05 with all the talent in the front half.

Let's be real though; We are never going to be Geelong.

Dangerfield, Cameron, Stengle all signing up to play for big crowds but live off the grid.

Father-Son picks for years on end, including Hawkins who coat basically nothing.

We might be lucky enough to draft a Joel Selwood but to get the rest of the pieces around him would be close to impossible.

We will be 'one & done' like the Eagles, if we are lucky.

In 2004 the cats and us had the best young lists and the potential for a long rivalry. We looked better! They got multiple cups and a dynasty and we fell off a cliff.

Everything Geelong did today ran their way too. Why do we never get luck fall in our laps? If it was raining chocolate we'd end up with s**t in our hair.

In 2004 the cats and us had the best young lists and the potential for a long rivalry. We looked better! They got multiple cups and a dynasty and we fell off a cliff.

We should have stuck with GT, he had us on the right path and then we axed him for a Snake Oil Salesman in Lyon. we've gone downhiill ever since.

The way footy is played these days looks so much like us in 04/05 with all the talent in the front half.

Dangerfield, Cameron, Stengle all signing up to play for big crowds but live off the grid.

Father-Son picks for years on end, including Hawkins who coat basically nothing.

We might be lucky enough to draft a Joel Selwood but to get the rest of the pieces around him would be close to impossible.

Imagine how many father sons they'll have in the future did you see all the kids on the ground

Imagine how many father sons they'll have in the future did you see all the kids on the ground

Part of the reason we have no FSs is because of our high turn over of players. It's intergenerational stability. The AFL should cap FS picks at 2 per side or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We only drafted a decent player every other year after that.

Last edited:
The Riewoldt boys are tracking well in Auskick.

We will be looking pretty sweet in 15-20 years.

NEWS FROM THE FUTURE

After reviewing old Bigfooty StKilda board discussions from 2022, the head of the AFL, the clone of Adrian Anderson, announced that the father sun rule was unfair and would now be revoked.

That’s because we got absolutely poleaxed with injuries to elite young talent, while all their best bar Egan went through relatively unscathed with injuries.

Here’s a post I wrote earlier in the year which shows that we had 5 who’s careers were either over or completely derailed by injury by the age of 25.

Luke Ball is one of many for us who’s careers were derailed badly by injury in the 2003-2008 period.

Was a faster version of Joel Selwood, and like Selwood, would almost certainly have won/made multiple B&F’s and AA teams, but his chronic groin injuries in his early 20’s left him a shadow of his former self.

He came 2nd in the St Kilda B&F at 20yo (in a team that lost the prelim by a goal) and then won it at 21yo, the following year (again in a top 4 team, beating out the likes of Riewoldt, Harvey, Hayes, Gehrig, Dal Santo, etc) and made the AA team, but oteitis pubis got a hold of him in a big way, and he ended up just a solid “plodder”, who struggled to kick more than 40m on his right foot, or pretty much at all on his left.

After coming into the AFL extremely dual-sided and able to kick it 50m comfortably on his right.

Most who remember his latter years would remember him as extremely slow, yet he was a schoolboy sprinting champion and recorded a blistering 2.85sec at his draft camp (combine), which is seriously moving.

To put that 2.85sec into perspective, here are some other speed demons respective times:

2.87- Jack Petruccelle
2.90- Brett Delidio
2.92- Paddy Dangerfield, Luke Shuey
2.93- Gary Rohan, Conor McKenna
2.95- Lewis Jetta, Jaiden Stephenson, Shai Bolton
2.96- Daniel Wells, Ben King

So Bally pre-injuries was pretty much the complete package. Super-quick inside mid who won his own ball, an excellent kick on both feet, ultra-courageous, tackled a ton and was captaining a finals team by 22yo. He wasn’t drafted between Hodge and Judd just for laughs.

His injuries alone probably cost us two flags.

Penny was another of our best team who’s career was completely derailed by injury around that time.

Was our full back in the prelim years under Thomas and only just coming into his prime years, when his ongoing knee injuries ended his career, at just 24yo.

Then there was Matt Maguire, who was our CHB in the 2004/2005 prelim years, at just 20/21yo, and already one of the best CHB’s in the league, who was never remotely the same after that horrific broken leg in 2006, at just 22yo, and all the complications that followed as a result of the injury.

Played just 14 more games for us.

Then of course Kosi was never the same after that horrific fractured skull at 23yo, which derailed his career.

The year prior he had that incredible run of games (at 22yo) where he was playing ruck and got the following Brownlow votes, in a 4 week stretch, as acting captain: 2, 3, 3, 3. With games of 19 disposals and 3 goals, 23 and 4, 16 and 5 and 18 and 5. Playing mostly ruck!

Then there was our other top 5 pick from that 2001 “superdraft”, Xavier Clark, who burst out of the blocks faster than Dal Santo and Montagna, and at 20yo was jumping on heads and taking speccies every 2nd week (hence taking 22 contested marks that year, which is just 2 less than Ben King took last season) and kicking goals etc, who had his career derailed by repeated soft tissue injuries, that left him a shadow of his former self.

He too played his last game for us prior to his 25th birthday, before playing one game for Brisbane, two years later.

So that was 5 of our young guns (including picks 2, 2, 5 and 21, plus a guy we traded pick 17 for) from that team who were all done or never the same again by 25yo, and as if that wasn’t enough, we traded picks 6 and 31 for ruckman Barry Brooks, in 2002 (after he was another top 15 pick in that 2001 superdraft) and he did an ACL at 19yo, the following year, and didn’t play another AFL game for almost two years. He played just 4 more games.

The mind boggles at the team we could have had by around 2009 had we had those guys at anything like they would been without the career-derailing injuries.

Ball, Maguire and Brooks were just 25yo that year, Clark 26, Kosi 27 and Penny 28yo. Yet we were still good enough to win 19 straight games!

Last edited:
Delta should have sung the anthem, she should have been the half time show, and she should have sung a song post match for good measure. She's better than what they had her doing.

Maybe she should have written songs and released them instead of becoming a tv host then.

Chad Warner:

29 disposals
18 contested possessions
10 clearances
7 intercept possessions
6 tackles
587m-gained
2 goals

Bent those pussies over, tear in the eye for my little Chadlington

The Cats had their big review back in 2007 and it was driven hard from the top. I hope Bassat is not full of hot air. We need to set a direction and raise the bar a whole lot higher.

I wonder if we sell where we are located well enough or if it just doesn’t have the same fanfare as the Geelong area .. I know it’s not as good but after them we’d be the furthest from the city and located next to the beach with nice restaurants etc .. some good suburbs to live in Sandringham black rock aspendale etc .. not the Geelong lifestyle but the next best I reckon !

Back