Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fair. Personally not optimistic with their players to go up a level bar Gresham, King and Windhager.
Nasiah-Wanganeen will be a good player too.

May as well keep properly building and leverage the players they already have.

I don’t much difference in the talent level between say Pick 5 and Pick 15. They’re guaranteed to get a reasonable prospect eg Hollands or Hewett.

Winners Geelong.....country mile.....
Brisbane.....Pies

Losers Hawks (assuming that was Bris 2nd we got for Omeara not Nths), GWS (spoon inbound), Gold Coast (culture hit from the Bowes trade) and St Kilda (they forgot the trade period was on and are set to stay just outside 8)

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Weideman much of an upgrade?

Couldn’t get near it a Top 4 side that was crying out for a key position forward to step up.

How is he going to go in a bottom side?
he'll play. which is a good start for him. But also similar to Francis - who will go to a strong system/culture and have standards imposed.
Our CHF was a rotation of Francis, Stringer, Phillips, Bryan and Stewart this year. Worst case, he saves Wright from rucking and provides a foil for Jones.
Cheap stop gap at worst. Or Wright Mk2 if we're lucky

Was thinking My Kangas sucked but now swinging the other way with all the stuff coming out. Probably did the best they could have in the circumstances and need to fix their interviewing techniques when recruiting. Perhaps the departures of the recruiting team mid year might be linked to the JHF season and eventual outcome. Was a lot left unsaid when they departed.

My subjective rankings for the overall trade period.

Biggest Winners - Geelong, Richmond
Moderate Winners - Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Melbourne
Slight Winners - Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon
Fairly Neutral - Sydney, St Kilda
Hard To Call - Fremantle, Collingwood
Slight Losers - Bulldogs, West Coast
Moderate Losers - GWS, North Melbourne
Huge Losers - Hawthorn, Gold Coast

Winners: Geelong, Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Richmond

Losers: Gold Coast, Hawthorn

Melbourne almost a loser for mine. I know they got Grundy for unders, but I have no understanding of their trading strategy. There’s no way they need Gawn and Grundy in the same team. If Gawn kicks 40 goals next season, I’ll concede somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winners: Geelong, Port Adelaide, Brisbane, Richmond

Losers: Gold Coast, Hawthorn

Melbourne almost a loser for mine. I know they got Grundy for unders, but I have no understanding of their trading strategy. There’s no way they need Gawn and Grundy in the same team. If Gawn kicks 40 goals next season, I’ll concede somewhat.

I think they rotate in defense not forward.

With May and Lever teams may not score.

I think they rotate in defense not forward.

With May and Lever teams may not score.
Pretty sure I read somewhere (Herald Sun?) that Gawn will play predominantly forward. He’ll still roam the ground a bit but I think they expect him to kick a decent amount of goals for them.

Winners - mostly the top 8 clubs.

Geelong no doubt. Bruhn, Henry and Bowes come into their extended squad for 23 while they have another tilt.

Richmond did well. Taranto and Hopper in the middle means Dusty and Bolton can free wheel off half forward.

Brisbane massive winners. Dunkley in gives Neale a chop out. Gunston an upgrade on McStay. They get their father sons as well.

Bulldogs - get Lobb and Jones but lose a couple of runners. They had a glut of mids so a good balance out.

Port - Got JHF. Need to iron out his edges but the potential on him is top notch. Like the Rioli trade as well but they need a defensive forward to cover his lack of run up the ground.

Good…

Carlton did good business getting Acres for cheap.

Sydney- did not do much but wouldn’t be surprised to see them turn Francis into a quality player like they tend to do with discards.

Fremantle, Collingwood and Melbourne had some good ins and good outs- probably a net zero impact. The pies getting Mitchell late probably gives them more than the other two.

Essendon played around the fringes. Setterfield and Weideman should play games for them but hardly world beaters. Didn’t give up their draft hand.

Norths trade period was a disaster. Not sure how anyone can justify starting with JHF and Pick 1 and turning that into pick 2, 3 and a future pick 10-14 and think that’s good trading.
They seem destined to ignore talented talls in the draft.

Hawks losing Omeara, Mitchell, Gunston for not much probably sees them as spoon favourites.
Probably the right call, but a year too late. And puts a full stop on Clarkos failed rebuild after 2015.

Geelong killed it unfortunately.

Brisbane, Adelaide, Richmond, Port are the other standout winners.

Fremantle gets the award for the weirdest trade period, but come out on top.

Melbourne, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Hawks and North Melbourne are the ones that did poorly.

I dislike Melbournes trade period, lost Jackson and their ins seem to be fringe players or Grundy who is sharing ruck duties with Gawn. Just seems a desperate period from a club who didn't need to be desperate.

Collingwood, ditto. Frampton, Mitchell, Hill just seems pretty eh. They ditched the Grundy contract at least and improved their draft hand for 2023.

Rest of the losers are pretty self explanatory.

Dogs the big winners again.

Stole Freo's best forward, who is still under contract, for two rubbish picks.

Sold our fifth best midfielder, uncontracted, for what equates to two first rounders.

Absolutely discombobulated Brisbane and Freo. They'll wake up tomorrow feeling like idiots.
That’s some solid sarcasm there or maybe you’re just as discombobulated as your supporters on the Dunkley trade thread.

Dogs are massive losers this trade period.

Back