List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Personally I think he enjoyed it. It worked out too well for it not to have been a planned strategy going into the night. Reports an hour or so before the draft were swans were being sneaky.

That was 100% a planned attack...and i love it
I didn’t see it live but I would be shocked if we didn’t bid on both players thinking they were best available at the time.

Even if you think both clubs were each 99% certain to match, that is a 1 in 50 chance of wasting your first and being left with a player you don’t want and who probably doesn’t want to play at your club either. Think of what that would do for team morale and harmony - no to mention the bad blood with other clubs who would then seek to punish you.

Never worth the risk.

Edit: this post is agreeing with your assessment SsS. I was highlighting that I didn’t agree with other assessments but it may have come across confusing.

However, if you were to redraft Blakey in the absolutely stacked class of 2018, as it stands, he's top 5 for sure so getting him at pick 10 is incredible really.
Hmmm I probably wouldn't have him top 5. Just quietly I don't even think he's the best Swan from that draft.

But yeah I remember everyone on here just getting more and more amped with each pick that went past without a bid, until it got to a point where it didn't even matter where the bid came because we were already getting him for less than we'd expected.

Considering he was one of the 'super seven' that were almost unanimously considered the best seven prospects, and all the other six became the top six picks, we really did get Blakey for a bloody steal.

I would like it if we got Barnett or Hayes at pick 27 for ruck/KPD need. Or alternatively George as a longer term talent.

But it is possible those 3 might be gone. So I feel we could take the best available mid or a running half back. Then take a speculative tall at pick 40.

But then again the club could surprise us again at pick 27 and go for an unexpected choice like Murphy or Van Es.

Last edited:

Hmmm I probably wouldn't have him top 5. Just quietly I don't even think he's the best Swan from that draft.

But yeah I remember everyone on here just getting more and more amped with each pick that went past without a bid, until it got to a point where it didn't even matter where the bid came because we were already getting him for less than we'd expected.

Considering he was one of the 'super seven' that were almost unanimously considered the best seven prospects, and all the other six became the top six picks, we really did get Blakey for a bloody steal.
Zac Foot is pretty incredible, took Southport to the VFL grand final this year.

Jokes aside it's way too early to evaluate that draft class anyway so wait and see I guess...

There was no energy used, nor a conceited effort to troll GWS and Adelaide.

That was the necessary byproduct of us trading out in the first place.

If we weren't trying to engineer a trade down the order and needed that extra time to do so, then I doubt we bid on either player.

I disagree. The bid on Rowston was absolutely calculated to help us still get Konstanty after trading out our first pick. And it worked beautifully.

And while I wondered whether the Adelaide bid was to get extra time I actually think it was revenge for Dawson.

At the same time, those players were thoroughly deserving of the bids and would have been good for us if we had got them. I think they are justified.

Will be very interesting to see who we get with pick 26.

Plenty of good names still there. Hustwaite, Cowan, Barnett, George, Hayes are all players I would love to get and there is a very high chance at least one of them will be available at pick 26. In fact it is almost impossible one of them would not be available.

Yeah not against George at 27 feel that’s about the range and he’s probably the one bloke in this area that MIGHT be A grade. He may flop but you don’t lose talent it’s the body that’s the query not the talent
I think that ship has sailed. Plays a similar position to Konstanty and although he might switch to midfield it's not a given, just like a full recovery is not given. George would not be maximising draft capital IMO. We must go tall.

Ok.
Confirmation that traded picks are linked to Hawthorn. (from Herald Sun)

Sydney handed the Hawks No.18 in exchange for No.27 plus second and third-selections in the 2023 draft.

Those future selections are both tied to Hawthorn, meaning if the Hawks finish 13th again in 2023 it will be picks 27 (this year) and picks 24 and 42 (next year) for Weddle.

That would be the equivalent of Sydney gaining No.21 for free under the AFL’s points system.

Next year’s draft is rated extremely highly, with some experts rating the talent likely to be available in the 20s and 30s similarly to this year’s late first-rounders
I'm sold. We all know they're tanking so both clubs supporters get to follow the same cause

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phew. Caught up now.

So, in short, that was top shelf bastardry!

Maybe I'm overplaying it but that was a complete hit job on GWS. They traded a heap to get that pick and we flushed it down the tubes for them - it was epic... and brutal. In my own michievious mind I see us being happy with any of Weddle, Allen or Konstanty and then there was a drop off. Options were pick at 14 and trade 17, after the drop off, or kill GWS's pick between ours, trade 14 and get whichever of the 3 was left over at our next pick. Tactically brilliant but I wish we'd done it to any number of Vic clubs - Dogs, North, Hawks, Saints, fuc#, any of them would do, hell Geelong truly earnt that s**t for doing what they did to GC. I had hinted earlier that a pick swap of 14 and 17 for 18, 19 and 31 might be a goer tactically. Anyway too late now.

So GWS copped it. But not all Vic clubs got away scot free. Hawthorn, of the devoted to the tank persuasion, offered us a chance to rectify the situation. And trade we did. We take their 2nd and 3rd pick in 2024 and 27 this year for our 14. 2024 looks to be a deeper draft, they are planning to tank, that's 19 and 37. Gulp. There's only one winner here. We're heading towards 4 picks in the first 40 next year

So, tactically we nailed that first day. Konstanty was our selection (this was after we'd rubbed another clubs nose in the brown stuff, hello Adelaide, nice to see you again). I can go with this pick, I was late to it but I was full speed on the Weddle train. Barnett or Allen the next in line. Konstanty fits a need, kicks goals and will take no prisoners and I mean none, absolutely none. That works for me, I would maybe have gone differently but it's a good, solid, low risk, structural selection.

Tomorrow (for me anyway) is the day we see how many enemies we made and how well we've truly done. Good tactics are pointless without the right players. We will get a good player at 27, please, please, please let it be Barnett. I think the trading will be frenetic early doors, could we sweeten our picks with Hawthorns 2024 3rd....? It's game on. We must go tall. Barnett, Gruzewski or Keeler fit needs at our next pick, depending how that falls I could make a case for Broadbent, Lemmey, Van Es, Teal or Gallagher at the next one. I know Gallagher isn't tall, neither is Teal particularly but favourites are favourites, wadda ya do.

Anyway, lets see how it goes and hope there isn't a spiteful Edwards bid early

Cochrane.... top 10..... KPF, you say. Tell me more

Well it’s early yet

He is 16 and like 194cm or 196cm and done well playing the key posts - mainly forward and some Ruck I think.

Two years away

But if he continues then could be a Sydney draft target 2024

And if he is Sydney’s top draft target in his year then it’s a good chance he will be top 10/20

Very early still

With all the hawks picks and our own picks for 2023

We are in a position to trade into the top 10 next year and go for a high end tall

Their will be several high end generational talls next year

Last edited:
So we have like 2 pics in the next 15 or so discounting the father sons and academy bids that might arise in the 20s for kids

Their is still 10 15 kids left with decent potential

We might be able to sneak in a bargain

Our third pic in the late 30s could go to Teal Jason Gilbee Magor Braun

Their is a number of players in that range with a NSW connection or a swans connection

Hopefully with 27 we go Key Position

While George looks good - I am also open to Barnett Keeler Van Es McCallum or Gruweski

Personally I don’t think the gap between Weddle and McCallum is that much

And I think their are many kids who did not test due to injury

I seem to be noticing that a lot this year

So I think their is a few gems floating around

This draft seems to carry a lot of kids with injury

I disagree. The bid on Rowston was absolutely calculated to help us still get Konstanty after trading out our first pick. And it worked beautifully.

And while I wondered whether the Adelaide bid was to get extra time I actually think it was revenge for Dawson.

At the same time, those players were thoroughly deserving of the bids and would have been good for us if we had got them. I think they are justified.
For Rowston, if the club thought there wasn’t much different in the next 20 players or so that included him, it makes sense that the club would have potentially rated him at that pick due to the added advantage of him being a NSW lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back