List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
Our best play is to take advantage of our warchest and go for salary dumps

Brings in overpriced senior players but also first round picks that come with it

Nick Haynes the obvious one get him and their pick 5-10 and take on his mil

Any other obvious ones. GC will want to get rid of their first rounder do they have anyone on a big wage they might want to get rid of?

I think we should really be aiming to bring in at least 4x first rounders this off-season and use cash/late picks on experienced leaders.

Unfortunately I think we are a real chance for the spoon this year, we are way off at the moment. But if by some miracle we can get R1 compo for McKay + pre-list Sanders, we'd have a ton of ammunition to make deals and draft a ton of talent.

This would be the dream for me (as unrealistic as it may seem)

Trades and FA
Let McKay go for a 1st round compo (pick 2)
Pick up Haynes contract, GWS throw in an F2 to get the contract off the books
Send a 2 year contract and 3rd rounder to the Hawks for Luke Bruest
Send the GWS 2nd to Sydney for Luke Parker.
(Parker and Bruest are really unlikely, but this is the type of experienced players we should be targeting)

Draft
Pick 1: Harley Reid
Pick 2 (compo): Trade to GC for pick 6, 2024 F1 and Sam Flanders
Pick 6: Nick Watson
Pre-list Pick 8: Riley Sanders
Pick 17: Archer Reid
Pick 39: Luamon Lual
Pick 53: Jovan Petric
Rookie Pick 1: Ethan Phillips
Rookie Pick 2: Shaun Mannagh

Man, fantasy GM is pretty much the easiest job in the world.

Our best play is to take advantage of our warchest and go for salary dumps

Brings in overpriced senior players but also first round picks that come with it

Nick Haynes the obvious one get him and their pick 5-10 and take on his mil

Any other obvious ones. GC will want to get rid of their first rounder do they have anyone on a big wage they might want to get rid of?
Salary dumps like the one the premiership team did?
The only issue with the afl is the players have to agree to go, good luck with convincing someone to come and get belted by ten goals a week.

We’d have to do a phyc test and go after masochists.

Yep, that's what happens when you're s**t for a while. It won't get any easier for our list management team.
Just went back to his interview on SEN again regarding getting any FA's, players to come to the club when you are near the bottom.

Corr and CT were in our best yesterday, why would we get rid of them? And you have cut every ruckman we have. You expecting us to pick up Grundy or.....

Corr and CT were in our best yesterday, why would we get rid of them? And you have cut every ruckman we have. You expecting us to pick up Grundy or.....

Agree, Corr was good yesterday, I watched him closely yesterday along with Mckay and they never really had a chance.
Thought CT was good as well, his work rate really stood out.

Also think we need to go all in on Grundy, he’s a proper AFL player and we need a few of them.

Goes without saying, but we need talent and depth everywhere...

Rucks - I'd be keeping Goldy for another year & recruiting an oppo fringe ruck (Moyle), Xerri has improved but he is that far from a certainty.

Mids - My bug bear of this thread is "we have drafted enough mids", especially when Tucker and Shiels are getting CBA's yesterday. We need elite runners in the midfield.

Forward - We cannot move forward with our KPF depth of CCJ & Chom behind Souv. This week we will have only have Souv. It's playing with fire. Draft one FFS.

Defenders - Where do I start? Whole thing needs transforming. Goater & Bergman are the only "modern game defenders" that we have, in that they are athletic, can run, defend and use the ball well. It's ground zero.

Another bug bear of this thread for mine is "we need mature bodies". We need talented mature bodies. There is no point bringing in mature bodies if they cannot help us win games.

Above all else, we need players that are unconditional. It's why I hesitate on someone like Hunter Clark unless he comes cheap. The fact he is on the outer of Ross' system tells me everything I need to know about his work ethic.

Goes without saying, but we need talent and depth everywhere...

Rucks - I'd be keeping Goldy for another year & recruiting an oppo fringe ruck (Moyle), Xerri has improved but he is that far from a certainty.

Mids - My bug bear of this thread is "we have drafted enough mids", especially when Tucker and Shiels are getting CBA's yesterday. We need elite runners in the midfield.

Forward - We cannot move forward with our KPF depth of CCJ & Chom behind Souv. This week we will have only have Souv. It's playing with fire. Draft one FFS.

Defenders - Where do I start? Whole thing needs transforming. Goater & Bergman are the only "modern game defenders" that we have, in that they are athletic, can run, defend and use the ball well. It's ground zero.

Another bug bear of this thread for mine is "we need mature bodies". We need talented mature bodies. There is no point bringing in mature bodies if they cannot help us win games.

Above all else, we need players that are unconditional. It's why I hesitate on someone like Hunter Clark unless he comes cheap. The fact he is on the outer of Ross' system tells me everything I need to know about his work ethic.
I’ll add another one small forwards who add actual and perceived pressure.

We cannot go into next year with the same forward mix, we’ve got way to many medium size forwards who cant/won’t chase.

Question: From players drafted in the last 20 years, how many players have we had on our list that were ever considered "elite" in their position?

My first crack is:
  • Goldstein
  • Cunnington
  • Scott Thompson
  • Ben Brown

4 players in 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next year we’ll have 3 decent players over the age of 25, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Larkey. We need to add another 3 to 4 regular solid AFL players around the 25 age bracket.
The exception for me is Grundy who is older and might be cheap.

We can’t have kids teaching kids
I didn't specify a specific age was more lamenting that there has to be 5 - 6 players out there that can contribute to the club more than the lot I listed. It goes without saying that they would need to be age appropriate.

I’ll add another one small forwards who add actual and perceived pressure.

Yep. Our forward 50 retention would have to be the worst in the comp. We got 1 tackle out of Ford, Larkey and Harvey combined and that was Harvey. Curtis and Stephenson had a few but even then felt like they had a lot of tackles broken.

Shits me how easy teams rebound against us and to make it worse we get out worked up the ground so normally teams go coast to coast without us laying a finger on it. Our defence is puss but you’d struggle to find a defender in the comp we wouldn’t make look garbage tbf.

Last edited:
I remain far from convinced by Xerri. What other ruck trade options do we have? Grundy is the ideal if Mebourne and Colllingwood are still paying most of his salary. Matt Flynn has been overtaken by Briggs at GWS and would surely be looking for opportunity. Neither Sam Hayes or Keiran Strachen are able to get games in Adelaide and would be gettable. What are our options do we think?

I remain far from convinced by Xerri. What other ruck trade options do we have? Grundy is the ideal if Mebourne and Colllingwood are still paying most of his salary. Matt Flynn has been overtaken by Briggs at GWS and would surely be looking for opportunity. Neither Sam Hayes or Keiran Strachen are able to get games in Adelaide and would be gettable. What are our options do we think?

I couldn't care less if we had to take all of Grundy's wage. Take the $650K off Melbournes books and add another $250k if we have to, just get some AFL quality players in.

The hardest thing to remember is that this is year 1 for the Clarko era. So to him and his crew, they are in full ‘the list is ****, let’s find some small pieces of gold in it, p1ss the rest off, then hit the draft like mad men for 3 years, and then we can get some FA’s when we hit the finals trajectory’.

Now that makes up most rebuilds. But it’s a lot easier to swallow when you hit the rebuild times, after being at least semi decent in prior years.
For Clarko, it’s year 1 of being sh1t for the sake of building a list. For us, it’s year 5 or 6. Tuff stuff

Question: From players drafted in the last 20 years, how many players have we had on our list that were ever considered "elite" in their position?

My first crack is:
  • Goldstein
  • Cunnington
  • Scott Thompson
  • Ben Brown

4 players in 20 years.
Surely you add Swallow, Tarrant and L.Thomas.

Been seeing a few posts along the line of "you can't have the kids teaching the kids" in response to moving on all the older blokes. Well, maybe you can. Clearly, a new approach is needed. Rip the bandaid off.

Would it be worthwhile asking the question of Jack McCrae?

No longer in the Bulldogs first midfield rotations and spending more time in the forward line. At the same time, his %TOG has decreased as well, often starting games on the bench.

He would also be a slightly younger Sheils type for us who can set an example to his team mates.

Might cost us a future second rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back