Autopsy Round 19, 2023 : Hawks can’t get it done against Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't see a second of the game. Heard we were 6 goals up. Assumed we'd won. Was devastated to find out the final score, after my own team had just lost a game right at the death.

But I'm asking this question genuinely...
Did DGB play? 0 on every single stat. Even pressure acts. AFL app heat map is empty.
But, fanfooty says he played 44% game time.
Who is correct?

Checked the score 3/4 time 5 goal up.
checked it last qtr 1 point down , the final score.
How many admirable losses do you want in a season gws twice, crows and now Richmond. Stop saying admirable loss , I live in Adelaide that what the crows board keep saying. What have they done since 98 - fa - that was adirable
I saw another sooking post you liked in this thread, which was in very similar, sky-is-falling, I want my teddy back kind of vein.

Life must really suck looking through those muddy glasses.

I didn't see a second of the game. Heard we were 6 goals up. Assumed we'd won. Was devastated to find out the final score, after my own team had just lost a game right at the death.

But I'm asking this question genuinely...
Did DGB play? 0 on every single stat. Even pressure acts. AFL app heat map is empty.
But, fanfooty says he played 44% game time.
Who is correct?

Both are correct. 🍩

Said it before I’ll say it again how Reeves is still on the list in bemusing

Struggled against Silvagni and with no Nankervis was comprehensively beaten. Offers nothing around the ground.

And he only has 4 more years on his contract.

Maybe we need to stop all ruck work and focus on marking. One game this year he has taken more than a single mark.

Would have to be the worst in the comp for marks.

Absolutely stings.

But kicking 0 goals in the last is asking for trouble.

DGB 0 touches in a half. Pls.
We need a 2nd tall fwd for next week. Pick Ryan/ Ramma or Kosi. I don't give a fk. But all of the last quarter we kicked to Balta or Broad. That was the ball game.
0 touches in a half when the ball is near you is horrid.

In saying that though, DGB did provide a great contest up forward in the first half. He gets subbed out (not saying it was a bad decision) and their talls in Broad and Balta start taking easy marks in the backline.

Would love to see Ryan get a call up but I think Kosi will be named after kicking 4 for box hill

I really enjoyed 97% of that game. Even most of the last quarter was enjoyable as they held on for a long period, exhausted and under a lot of pressure.

It was fantastic to see a clear - and extremely entertaining - game plan working in practice and players sticking to it. Mitchell is a genius. To have such a young team playing so well and such a defined way is a wonderful effort.

The bare bones of a great side are there, we got over run by a bigger, more experienced and hungrier team but thats ok, results are not the be all this year and that was a massive, massive step forward.

At half time, I found myself thinking that we would be almost certainly climbing a place or two on the ladder but they faded. We are a lock for pick 3 now. Next year these games will become wins but for this year, take the lessons.

Im not having anyone potting Sicily, he was absolutely immense yet again. Their only good period in the first 3.5 quarters was when he was off. The dissent rule is supposed to be dead, we are seeing a dozen players in every game tell the umpire to 'get ****ed'. So to see only Sicily get pinged for dissent was frustrating, but not surprising, he has a target on his back. He plays with passion and would be a lesser player if he didn't.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the commentary. King and Buckley were regularly dissecting and praising the Hawks game plan and it was great to listen to. King can be a bit dramatic but he knows his details and Buckley is the best in the business. Howie was solid too, they worked well together. It really made for great entertainment.

I just wished it had ended 3 minutes earlier.

You need to understand. The umpires are not going to ******* change. It is out of his control. He can only control himself. Hence for the betterment of the team he will have to change.

I disagree, I think he gets the best out of himself playing like he does and we need him to do that every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We may not see him again.
Poor kid comes on when the team puts their head in the sand, thought he was badly let down. The expectation that he should have saved the game is a bit rough. I have seen him play in the 2s, gives his all. He will give himself another chance quality human.

Thought Brockman didn't compete hard enough in some aerial contests throughout the game. Had to try half the contest but let the Tigers take a few marks without putting contact on them.

Yep 100% agree. There were multiple times even when we had a comfortable lead, that his efforts were very poor .

We need to move on from Frost and Finn we simply can’t carry absolute turnover merchants like that. Finn is heart and soul and the best tagger but can’t hit a barn door with a banjo and Frost there just aren’t words for. Also Long was done a total disservice he’s not at all the right choice as a sub. he’s an endurance player Butler or a mackenzie should have been the sub today.

The upside is we can’t worsen our draft position but we are creating a buzz to help us in the years to come with attracting the pieces we need to contend, so whilst gutting to lose to those morons, it was a pleasing performance when playing the long game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Finn gets votes in the PCM for today. Was exceptional in his role.

Bizarre that we took him off Rioli in the last and moved him on to the wing.

I really enjoyed 97% of that game. Even most of the last quarter was enjoyable as they held on for a long period, exhausted and under a lot of pressure.

It was fantastic to see a clear - and extremely entertaining - game plan working in practice and players sticking to it. Mitchell is a genius. To have such a young team playing so well and such a defined way is a wonderful effort.

The bare bones of a great side are there, we got over run by a bigger, more experienced and hungrier team but thats ok, results are not the be all this year and that was a massive, massive step forward.

At half time, I found myself thinking that we would be almost certainly climbing a place or two on the ladder but they faded. We are a lock for pick 3 now. Next year these games will become wins but for this year, take the lessons.

Im not having anyone potting Sicily, he was absolutely immense yet again. Their only good period in the first 3.5 quarters was when he was off. The dissent rule is supposed to be dead, we are seeing a dozen players in every game tell the umpire to 'get ****ed'. So to see only Sicily get pinged for dissent was frustrating, but not surprising, he has a target on his back. He plays with passion and would be a lesser player if he didn't.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the commentary. King and Buckley were regularly dissecting and praising the Hawks game plan and it was great to listen to. King can be a bit dramatic but he knows his details and Buckley is the best in the business. Howie was solid too, they worked well together. It really made for great entertainment.

I just wished it had ended 3 minutes earlier.
Nice wrap up. Thanks.

I’m ok with that. Secured 16 spot irrespective of the outcome.

Great first 3 quarters which is a great sign for the future and heaps of positives to take out of it.

Great reality check in the last and heaps that they can learn from so they don’t get too far ahead of themselves.
Yeah, I think it is from losses like this that leaders emerge. I'll be following the pre-season with enormous interest to see who jumps out of the pack ...

I said in the preview thread that our best was better than theirs but also our worst was worse. That was all on display.

I'd like to think this loss will hurt the players enough to ensure the lessons learned are burned in so there won't be a repeat next time. But then I think I said that about our last close loss.

Criticism of the decision to sub DGB is bizarre. The guy had delivered doughnuts for 3 quarters and would surely have been odds on to be the one dragged. We all would have made the same call if we were in the coaches' box.

Sam keeps saying he will be a very good defender long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back