Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

math-confuse.gif

Yes he is, he got 2.95 and that was before he did a bunch of work with the speed project. His top speed went from 32 to almost 40 Km/hr over an off-season. He is quick, it isn’t a physical it’s a mental thing and it’s a transfer to AFL level. This isn’t a discussion.

Players that have both are those who are very very good players. Rioli is a phenomenal example.

As mentioned, there are many players who recorded times that weren’t sub 2.9 but are very quick players, albeit would’ve made improvements over their afl pre seasons.

Weddle & Stephenson were the examples and are good examples.
Is there any recorded evidence of that increase in top speed by Finn?

It seem almost impossible for that to occur, an 8km/h increase in top speed for someone who was already fast i.e. not a plodder, someone who was focussed on making it to an AFL list, someone who trained every day with fitness being a major focus. That is an increase from 8.88m/s to 11.11m/s. Not Happening!!

For reference, Elaine Thompson-Herah, Olympic Gold medal winning womens 100m athlete has never clocked 40km/h and I'd have no qualms slapping my house on her whooping any AFL player.

It seem almost impossible for that to occur, an 8km/h increase in top speed for someone who was already fast i.e. not a plodder, someone who was focussed on making it to an AFL list, someone who trained every day with fitness being a major focus. That is an increase from 8.88m/s to 11.11m/s. Not Happening!!

For reference, Elaine Thompson-Herah, Olympic Gold medal winning womens 100m athlete has never clocked 40km/h and I'd have no qualms slapping my house on her whooping any AFL player.
Her fastest time over 100m is 10.54 seconds and Jack Peris (who is at St Kilda) did 11.06 seconds as a 14 year old (not sure what he would do now), there are possibly faster players, so I suspect that would be a risky bet.

Finn is fast enough to play and shut down players like rioli, bolton and others. He isn’t usain bolt but he is fast enough.

Actually Bolt's fastest 0-20m 2.87, so not as quick as you think.. probably due to his height and weight, he's 6"5.

She's a female. There would be heaps of AFL players who would easily be gold medallists if they were competing with women in the Olympics.

When I was 14 we had at high school one kid at age 17 who could run 10.4 seconds. I was running 12.5 seconds at that age already.

Go to science works they have a 10m dash there. I managed to do it in under 2 seconds as a middle aged overweight 35 year-old (make sure you take your phone out of your pocket or it will go flying), which is faster than Cathy Freeman.

The reference is from this. B173D5A8-F2CA-4BA9-90AE-AE4458755C45.jpeg
The difference I would also assume is the maintaining of top speed over certain levels. Finn could’ve been working purely on his explosive level and reaching a top speed, rather than running at a top speed for a prolong period. Because that’s more applicable to football. They get these times from recording their athletes run 100m.

Finn is fast enough to play and shut down players like rioli, bolton and others. He isn’t usain bolt but he is fast enough.

That is absolutely irrefutable. His success as a tagger is not something any of us has seen ever at our club at a guess. He's bonafide elite, and this is why I think he deserves more time to see if he continues to develop in other areas.

Last edited:
That is absolutely irrefutable. His success as a tagger is not something any of us has seen ever at a guess. He's bonafide elite, and this is why I think he deserves more time to see if he continues to develop in other areas.
Having not posted on this forum for the better part of two decades, despite being a regular viewer, the Finn topic I felt obliged to jump in on.

Looking at Sunday's game on Fox after having been there live, I would have given votes to Finn, he forced Richmond to change the entirety of their gameplan which relies on Rioli's run, carry and delivery by foot. For a player to have so much influence on a gameplan is a unique weapon to have in any side's arsenal let alone one with a developing squad. Given the number of forward entries and near entries we had the expectation would have been that Rioli would have been instrumental, as usual, in setting up the Richmond forward moves, 6 disposals by foot explains much of the reason we were able to be in the contest so long.

The moves they made at 3/4 time were in direct response to this.

My view, for what it is worth, is that we spend too much time on these forums looking at deficiencies and not enough about what a player brings to the team and the specific geniuses that they possess that others don't. For me his concentration and athleticism mean he can shut down almost any player in the competition, something he has proved again and again over the last two years, and i would be looking at how that could translate not worrying about his kicking.

Finn is willing to sacrifice his offensive game to shut out an opposition player.

Whether he runs fast or not is completely irrelevant. He parks his ego at the fence when he runs onto the field.

It’s primarily psychological and frankly if we had a few more blokes out there willing to do what he does for even 10% of their time on ground we’d already be knocking on the 8 this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took Luke Hodge 45 games of experience before he started averaging +20 disposals per game in his 4th season.

And Hodge wasn't even close to 20 disposals average in his first 3 season.
And Hodge wasn't told to work on his game at BH because the team wasn't mature enough to fit him into his best role.
And Hodge didn't have Covid interruptions to his development.

Some people need to relax a bit.

It took Luke Hodge 45 games of experience before he started averaging +20 disposals per game in his 4th season.

And Hodge wasn't even close to 20 disposals average in his first 3 season.
And Hodge wasn't told to work on his game at BH because the team wasn't mature enough to fit him into his best role.
And Hodge didn't have Covid interruptions to his development.

Some people need to relax a bit.
Jeez bit of a tenuous comparison here.

In Hodge's first season the disposal leader in Scott West averaged 26 touches, there were 35 players averaging 20 disposals. Now there are 117.

Hodge was almost definitely under performing, as he was a highly rated Pick 1. No such guarantees for Maginness.

Jeez bit of a tenuous comparison here.

In Hodge's first season the disposal leader in Scott West averaged 26 touches, there were 35 players averaging 20 disposals. Now there are 117.

Hodge was almost definitely under performing, as he was a highly rated Pick 1. No such guarantees for Maginness.
15, 13, 15 were Hodge's averages in his first 3 seasons.
He did not become a major contributor until his fourth season.

Maginness is averaging 12 and 11 in his 3rd and 4th seasons as a tagger.
The point is not that Finn will turn into Hodge, or that Hodge is a direct comparison.
It just takes longer than people have patience for sometimes.

15, 13, 15 were Hodge's averages in his first 3 seasons.
He did not become a major contributor until his fourth season.

Maginness is averaging 12 and 11 in his 3rd and 4th seasons as a tagger.
The point is not that Finn will turn into Hodge, or that Hodge is a direct comparison.
It just takes longer than people have patience for sometimes.
Hodge struggled for fitness and professional application, while showing flashes of brilliance. Finn is the exact opposite.

I'm as bullish as anyone about Finn, but it's not an apt comparison. Plenty to work with though, and I think he'll get a new contract.

Having not posted on this forum for the better part of two decades, despite being a regular viewer, the Finn topic I felt obliged to jump in on.

Looking at Sunday's game on Fox after having been there live, I would have given votes to Finn, he forced Richmond to change the entirety of their gameplan which relies on Rioli's run, carry and delivery by foot. For a player to have so much influence on a gameplan is a unique weapon to have in any side's arsenal let alone one with a developing squad. Given the number of forward entries and near entries we had the expectation would have been that Rioli would have been instrumental, as usual, in setting up the Richmond forward moves, 6 disposals by foot explains much of the reason we were able to be in the contest so long.

My view, for what it is worth, is that we spend too much time on these forums looking at deficiencies and not enough about what a player brings to the team and the specific geniuses that they possess that others don't. For me his concentration and athleticism mean he can shut down almost any player in the competition, something he has proved again and again over the last two years, and i would be looking at how that could translate not worrying about his kicking.
Am eagerly awaiting your next post, in 2041!

Rozee had 28 disposals vs Pies on the weekend. Butters had 31.

What would Pies pay, to keep either one of those players between 8-17 disposals???

Whilst they'll likely win the Flag either way, that play would put it 90/10, IMO.

I'm by no means suggesting we trade Finn; moreso, I'm suggesting he's an absolute weapon that we'll hold when next challenging, which no other club will.

IMO, we sign him long term whilst he's 'Fringe' - give him 2yrs + 1 + 1 on low-end cash & keep him in the arsenal.

But does he have elite speed? 🤔

Cyril was a freak because he was the rare combo of being fleet of feet and quick of mind.

He was the freakiest of the freaks because he was arguably the #1 player in the AFL at both aspects.
He was also insanely quick to regain his feet, most players when they lose their feet are out of the contest. Not Cyril.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back