Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Breathless (1960, SBS On Demand) -

A man is on the run after killing a policeman and dreams of running away to Italy with his love interest. It has fantastic direction and style. I enjoyed how unconventional it is. In the first six minutes the main character steals a car, drive around like a maniac and shoots a cop but later the film has a 20+ minute scene in a room talking to aforementioned love interest. There's also some knockout dialogue highlighted by the "become immortal then die" line.
However I was let down by the main character's sheer unlikability which, although is the point, ultimately grated on me and detracted from the viewing experience. I also applaud the focus on gender relations but it's aged badly as the some commentary is weak and generalised whilst some parts are just downright sexist. 7/10. Immensely glad to have seen it. One of those films that might grow in esteem if I understand the context more.

I think in some ways it’s an easier film to admire than love, if that’s not too cliche a thing to say. When I studied film production at uni, this was the movie they had us watch for editing, and it’s still pretty revolutionary. The cinematography and soundtrack are nothing to sneeze at either, and the two leads exude 1960s sexy cool (and may well have invented it).

I get you on the sexism and they’re being so unlikeable. Still, when people talk about how they think plots are the most important things about movies, I think about something like this and think “nope, the most important thing is a movie’s vibe”. And man, Breathless has a vibe.

At a guess, I watch a movie at the cinema every fortnight on average and can't remember much from 2023. Creed III, Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning 1, and John Wick 4 were the standouts.
Yeah I’ve felt the same. All three of those were great without being incredible.

Oppenheimer probably the standout for me.
Barbie - enjoyable.
Asteroid City - solid.
Spider-Man Across the Universe - Amazing.
Sanctuary - Great.
Guardians 3 - great
Beau is Afraid - interestingly good.
Blackberry - forgot about this but definitely one of the best.
The Covenant - solid

It feels like most things are going the way of streaming and it’s impacting film more than usual plus the covid years affecting it.

Reginae Carter I Wont Tell GIF by ALLBLK
Didn't mean to pry, thought maybe other people were being kents in the cinema.

Shame whatever it was took you out of the film, I was pretty engrossed the whole time thought it was very effective.

Yeah I’ve felt the same. All three of those were great without being incredible.

Oppenheimer probably the standout for me.
Barbie - enjoyable.
Asteroid City - solid.
Spider-Man Across the Universe - Amazing.
Sanctuary - Great.
Guardians 3 - great
Beau is Afraid - interestingly good.
Blackberry - forgot about this but definitely one of the best.
The Covenant - solid

It feels like most things are going the way of streaming and it’s impacting film more than usual plus the covid years affecting it.
That's not a bad list at this stage imo, with awards season still to come.

Although Dune 2 being pushed back and other fallout due to the strikes clearly won't help.

Thanks to a few purchases in recent weeks I've got a few movies to get through. Trying to balance my free time with my tv series watching and regular gaming sessions. There's not enough time for everything in one hit so some things have to be put aside for the future. Anyhooooooooooooooo

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (4K)

One of the best Batman stories ever told.... is an animated movie. Collected it on dvd in the mid 2000's, on blu-ray (thanks to the Batman: Animated Series box set) and on 4K earlier this week. It tells a cracking story, but.... I'm not so sold on the 4K presentation (looked blurry to me at first, had to tinker with my settings on the tv to improve it). Enjoyed it once I could see the picture properly.

4/5

The Flash (4K)

Resisted the temptation to illegally download it OR buy the streaming version when it was made available. Didn't think it was the best movie, yet I've seen far worse movies (both in general and comic related on both the Marvel and DC sides :p). I don't mind The Flash as a character, but I really only wanted to see Keaton Batman!

3/5

I think in some ways it’s an easier film to admire than love, if that’s not too cliche a thing to say. When I studied film production at uni, this was the movie they had us watch for editing, and it’s still pretty revolutionary. The cinematography and soundtrack are nothing to sneeze at either, and the two leads exude 1960s sexy cool (and may well have invented it).

I get you on the sexism and they’re being so unlikeable. Still, when people talk about how they think plots are the most important things about movies, I think about something like this and think “nope, the most important thing is a movie’s vibe”. And man, Breathless has a vibe.
Great points and I agree although I'll add some of the cool vibes, the copious smoking for example, hasn't aged that well either (though no fault of its own, so many films have imitated it including a recently seen Atomic Blonde. The health knowledge doesn't do its image any favours either).

As you say this is a must watch for film buffs which is a testament to its quality and cultural impact.

Didn't mean to pry, thought maybe other people were being kents in the cinema.

Shame whatever it was took you out of the film, I was pretty engrossed the whole time thought it was very effective.
Oh I don't mind mate :) I just doubt people would be keen on hearing about my date.

It's garnered quite the acclaim which I'm all for, especially being an Aussie film. As a non-horror buff though I couldn't give it more than a good/solid rating with my issues with the third act. I thought with a great premise they could have done more with it. That said it's easily an above-average horror film so would recommend to any fan of the genre.

Oh I don't mind mate :) I just doubt people would be keen on hearing about my date.

It's garnered quite the acclaim which I'm all for, especially being an Aussie film. As a non-horror buff though I couldn't give it more than a good/solid rating with my issues with the third act. I thought with a great premise they could have done more with it. That said it's easily an above-average horror film so would recommend to any fan of the genre.
Ah, bit of Seinfeld / Schindler's List situation :p

Nah that's fair enough. My mate who is hugely into horror and filmmaking also had issues with the 3rd act being predictable. I didn't notice personally but always maintain that the ending of any film or TV show is the hardest to get right.

Also thought the whole metaphor/allegory for drug abuse was super clever and felt really personal to the filmmakers.

The Fifth Element.

Watching it now on SBS World Movies. It's on at least once every week, and whenever I come across it, I find it hard to turn away. :)

From the over-the-top acting from Oldman, Tucker and Jovovich to the sets, storyline and the non-stop action it is still one of the films I enjoy the most.

No Hard Feelings

Meh/10 really. Had some funny moments, J-Law looks great and the kid in it is pretty good but it went alot harder on the meet cute/feel good stuff than the humour and its worse off for it.
Yeah I just watched this and feel pretty similar. They definitely sold it as a far raunchier comedy than it turned out to be.

Conan The Barbarian.

The original with Arnie.

Absolute classic.

Give me practical effects, filming on location and an epic score any day.

Yell John Carpenter GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I am nowhere near this point but this is to me the real original action comedy

Add in the supernatural elements amd the fact they made a video game

Probs time for a carpenter run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

El Conde - Netflix (Spanish/French Language)

I dont know what I was watching but I couldnt stop watching

Filmed in Black and White for 99% of the film its about a vampire - Claude Pinoche - from the French Revolution who moves to Chile and becomes embroiled in a financial scandal.

The Church sends out a young nun to perform an exorcism on said vampire

Filming in B&W minimises the graphic nature of the actions within and the music continues to present a mood of self sufficiency rather than kill for killings sake

Directed by Pablo Larrain its done in a style completely opposite to jump scare vampire thrillers. As noted it more meanders through these peoples lives as the climax approaches

Narrated by a British voice it has me wanting to search out more Larrain movies

El Conde - Netflix (Spanish/French Language)

I dont know what I was watching but I couldnt stop watching

Filmed in Black and White for 99% of the film its about a vampire - Claude Pinoche - from the French Revolution who moves to Chile and becomes embroiled in a financial scandal.

The Church sends out a young nun to perform an exorcism on said vampire

Filming in B&W minimises the graphic nature of the actions within and the music continues to present a mood of self sufficiency rather than kill for killings sake

Directed by Pablo Larrain its done in a style completely opposite to jump scare vampire thrillers. As noted it more meanders through these peoples lives as the climax approaches

Narrated by a British voice it has me wanting to search out more Larrain movies
Oh yeah that is meant to be really good

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Gotta say, I didn’t hate it. Harrison Ford is great, the opening sequence is great, the treasure and the premise is great, Mads is great, the nostalgia is great.

Phoebe Waller Bridge is under utilized (or just phoning it in, I couldn’t really tell) and the third act goes off the rails a touch (nowhere near as bad as Crystal Skull) but it rallied for a really satisfying finish.

Absolutely belongs in the canon and I’d recommend any Indy fan to give it a whirl.

Gotta say, I didn’t hate it. Harrison Ford is great, the opening sequence is great, the treasure and the premise is great, Mads is great, the nostalgia is great.

Phoebe Waller Bridge is under utilized (or just phoning it in, I couldn’t really tell) and the third act goes off the rails a touch (nowhere near as bad as Crystal Skull) but it rallied for a really satisfying finish.

Absolutely belongs in the canon and I’d recommend any Indy fan to give it a whirl.
I'm too scared to watch it, the crystal skull ruined indie for me. 🤮🤮🤮

Jules (2023)

A UFO crash lands in a forgetful old man's backyard and no one believes him. This is such a sweet movie with the lead played by Ben Kingsley and a fantastic supporting cast. This is a simple but unique story told through complicated characters. Tongue planted firmly in cheek, smartly written with tons of allegory conveyed simply through a very sweet honest film, heralded by three veteran performers. The performer who played Jules also did a terrific job. 7/10 (Good)

Going to start up a spreadsheet of all my movies and rewatch and rank them.

Just a rough guide I've got Shutter Island and Shawshank Redemption at top 2, then I'll plot out from there.

Think I might just place movies where I see them and then shuffle them around.

MovieYearRankingDirectorMain CastLink
Shutter Island
2010​
100​
Martin ScorseseLeonardo DiCaprioMark RuffaloMax Von Sidow
Shawshank Redemption
1994​
99.9​
Frank DarabontTim RobbinsMorgan FreemanClancy Brown
Oblivion
Total Recall
1990​
Total Recall
2012​
Rambo First Blood
1982​

I hated it. Nonetheless, it's interesting to see an entirely different rating from a respected poster. :)

That's not a bad list at this stage imo, with awards season still to come.

Although Dune 2 being pushed back and other fallout due to the strikes clearly won't help.
Talk to Me was good too.

I guess majority of the great films tend to come out in the next few months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back