Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

I know what you were trying to say... I just completely disagree. Promises don't come with caveats, we had that BS a decade ago with core and non-core promises.

I totally get the point you claim to be making, and it's still ridiculous

EDIT - Dutton's one was even stupider because he originally "committed" to something that he had no intention of doing. If the LNP want to start a "liar" war the ALP should just run that brain fart on loop.
Fair enough. The reality is politicians, whether left or right, cannot be trusted. Their reason for being is power based and about getting re-elected.

If I promised to meet someone at bar, but the pub was on fire, should I still go through with that promise?

That's your best analogy?

The bottom line here is the tax cuts went to not one but TWO federal elections and Labor supported it. Until now.

It's the third broken promise in less than 24 months after the infamous lower cost of living commitment during the election campaign (hilarious) and the $275 cut to power prices (stop it, my sides are splitting!).

One term government.

Good to see our ABC not joining the rest of the media pack in repeating mindless political gotcha lines rather than focussing on details of policy change, and its implications for Australians in real terms.

At least Albo's commitment lasted longer than 24 hours.....

View attachment 1892100
Ley was asked on Sky News yesterday whether the Coalition would “roll back whatever changes are made” and she replied, “Well, this is our position. This is absolutely our position.”

But speaking on ABC Radio National this morning, Ley said she wanted it to be clear that she did not pledge to roll back the new tax package.

“I did not say we would roll back Labor’s new proposal. I said we support the existing stage 3 arrangement and we would assess the new proposal,” she said.

“Labor lied about these tax cuts and now they have lied about what I said.”

Asked if the Coalition would vote against the government’s tax reform, which would mean lower taxes for a large group of Australians, Ley would not say if her party would promise to increase taxes.

“Taxes will always be lower under a Coalition government … we will assess the proposal,” she said.

Coalition now wanting to see full details of the Stage 3 changes before selecting the bits they will be opposed to.

Pretty clear that their polling has revealed the decision by the Government to make Stage 3 more equitable and focussed on low to middle income earners has the support of voters.

All over the place. Let them hang out a little bit longer Albo

Herald Sun poll:

Screenshot 2024-01-25 121131.png
[x] doubt
Basketball Wives Nod GIF by VH1

Screenshot 2024-01-25 122317.png

Think of these poor Aussie battlers. How are they going to survive?

Good to see our ABC not joining the rest of the media pack in repeating mindless gotcha lines rather than focussing on the policy details and implications to inform viewers.

lol at her spluttering in the background while he's speaking.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-25 121131.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-25 121131.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'd wager that if Albo took Stage 3 tax cut changes to the election, he'd have still won, but there would be a lot less Teals.
I think he would have won by more as his changes are for the better (and would have been then as well even before cost of livinf sky-rocketed) - leaving them till post election has left him open to the Albo lied campaign.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sky News host Peta Credlin explains the “two massive problems” for Labor following the confirmation the government is set to break its pledge to keep the stage three tax cuts as legislated.

"First, there's the broken promise – and governments shouldn't make promises they never intended to keep, especially when they're also pledging to restore integrity in government; so this broken promise looks like hypocrisy, as well as a breach of faith.

"Second, there's the roll-back of one of the few genuine economic reforms of the past decade, the Morrison government's change to a flatter tax system, one that incentivises people who want to work hard and get ahead."

Ms Credlin said, further, the government could – with its surprise surplus – have made the tax cuts for lower-income earners bigger without breaking its promise to those on higher incomes.

“But because they're doing it anyway, this looks like a measure of class war envy – so much for another one of the PM's pre-election commitments that he said he'd matured on from his days when he was an ‘I hate Tories’ undergraduate lefty.

“As well, most of the losers from this change will be in the Teal seats, who now have a reason to feel ripped off by the Albanese government."

She is absolutely smack bang on the money.

It's like the Voice debacle revisited - Airbus Albo's inability to read the room on these issues is staggering.

One term government.

I think he would have won by more as his changes are for the better (and would have been then as well even before cost of livinf sky-rocketed) - leaving them till post election has left him open to the Albo lied campaign.

Assuming Dutton can overcome his own reputation and lead such a campaign for up to 20 months.

Assuming Dutton can overcome his own reputation and lead such a campaign for up to 20 months.
Dutton will screw it up for sure and benefits of the updated cuts will be seen in pay packets. It is just a fight Albo didn't need to have as these changes would have been a positive if they were announced pre election

Sky News host Peta Credlin explains the “two massive problems” for Labor following the confirmation the government is set to break its pledge to keep the stage three tax cuts as legislated.

"First, there's the broken promise – and governments shouldn't make promises they never intended to keep, especially when they're also pledging to restore integrity in government; so this broken promise looks like hypocrisy, as well as a breach of faith.

"Second, there's the roll-back of one of the few genuine economic reforms of the past decade, the Morrison government's change to a flatter tax system, one that incentivises people who want to work hard and get ahead."

Ms Credlin said, further, the government could – with its surprise surplus – have made the tax cuts for lower-income earners bigger without breaking its promise to those on higher incomes.

“But because they're doing it anyway, this looks like a measure of class war envy – so much for another one of the PM's pre-election commitments that he said he'd matured on from his days when he was an ‘I hate Tories’ undergraduate lefty.

“As well, most of the losers from this change will be in the Teal seats, who now have a reason to feel ripped off by the Albanese government."

It's like the Voice debacle revisited - Airbus Albo's inability to read the room on these issues is staggering.

One term government.

Yeah nah.

It will be exactly how the Liberal Party will oppose it but the public polling so far has been positive. Most voters don't give a s**t about broken promises if it benefits them especially if it's a directly measurable effect on their hip pocket. The voters that give a s**t (and listen to Sky and Credlin) aren't the demographic Albo was ever going to win over even if he promised to give them free puppies and a Ferrari in their driveway.

"Well I want more money in my pay packet but Albo betrayed me, hence I will vote for the opposition next time so I can have less money!"

See how stupid that sounds?

You weren't voting ALP anyway, cost of living will decide the next election, not a forgotten referendum from two years ago or a government making prudent changes to a policy that was based on very different circumstances 3 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's your best analogy?

The bottom line here is the tax cuts went to not one but TWO federal elections and Labor supported it. Until now.

It's the third broken promise in less than 24 months after the infamous lower cost of living commitment during the election campaign (hilarious) and the $275 cut to power prices (stop it, my sides are splitting!).

One term government.

Yeah, because the 87% of people who have benefited from the change are now going to vote for the mob that would deprive them of that.:D

Serious question, are you some sort of moron?

One term government.
His ability to read the room is precisely why he's doing this now. Enough sentiment has shifted to wanting action on cost of living to more than offset anyone who believes this is a mistake (noting that there are probably some who will think this is a mistake despite being better off, which shows how silly opposition to these changes are).

"Albo isn't tackling cost of living and focusing too much on such a decisive referendum!"

ALP make tax changes to help cost of living

"Albo broke a promise that benefits people including me but I hate it for reasons!"

Have I got this right:

- The changes are going to really help many many Australian's financially during a cost of living crisis.

But the main complaint is that Albanese reneged on a promise?

That's a strawman if ever I've seen one.
No that's a description of the justification of many a landlord
There's plenty of articles out there paid for by landlord lobby groups
They think they're the real hard workers because they own more than one property and they're entitled to every subsidy and tenants are useless meal tickets who you just squeeze for as much cash as you can.
It's not every landlord but it's the majority

Some of us value honesty and accountability from government. I'd have the same view if I was earning < 100k.
Hah you're so full of s**t.

While the change doesn't hurt me, I'll be looking away from the majors at election time. The ALP have lost me.
They've lost you by proposing a change to legislation that hasn't come in yet that will benefit more voters than the original promise?
Yeah I'm not buying your I'd still be against this if I earned less and it's about accountability crap

I'm pro-union and fairly progressive socially. I should be an easy win for the ALP.
Yeah just not progressive on things like fairer tax reform I guess
Or consent laws
Or listening to Indigenous voices you don't agree with
Or well pretty much anything now that I think about it
How so? I voted yes for SSM and the voice.
So did people that would consider themselves conservative.
The majority of your posting and positions on here aren't progressive
Your posting in the 'woke' thread isn't exactly indicative of progressive politics, mate.
Apparently I'm a centrist isn't enough of a leap for evolved has to pretend they're even further left

One term government.

I thought the point of Dutton’s strategy was to abandon the Teals and aim for the middle class suburban marginals?

Taking the income figures from Bennelong, which I would assume to be typical of those suburban marginals - median personal income is $50k and median household income is $109k. How are they going to feel ‘ripped off’ by this decision?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back