Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, the reaction to the decision is baffling, not the decision itself. How people earning < 100k are complaining I'll never know
Some of us value honesty and accountability from government. I'd have the same view if I was earning < 100k.

While the change doesn't hurt me, I'll be looking away from the majors at election time. The ALP have lost me.

Some of us value honesty and accountability from government. I'd have the same view if I was earning < 100k.

While the change doesn't hurt me, I'll be looking away from the majors at election time. The ALP have lost me.

So you want to increase tax’s?

Another graph- this one in response to the NewsCorp claim that the proposed amendments to Stage 3 tax cuts will lead to smart, young high income earning professionals and entrepreneurs seeking employment in other countries like the US:

Sorry, the reaction to the decision is baffling, not the decision itself. How people earning < 100k are complaining I'll never know

Because they are idiots who get their political opinions directly implanted by the Herald Sun?

It's the importation of American ideals imo.

Basically, the 'American dream' where if you work hard enough, you will be rich and the primary reason why you are poor is because you're not working hard enough. Ergo, you support incentives to the rich (even if you're poor) because you know that someday with enough hard work you will join them.

Therefore, supporting more tax cuts for the rich benefits you even if you're still far away from that level. You can be convinced by those in positions of power that you are voting against your own self interest if you don't support it. Still poor? You're just not working hard enough. Shame on you.

As someone smarter than me said, they call it the American dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe in it. And it's starting to infest Australia and places around the world because of their cultural dominance.

So you're only held to account when you're Prime Minister or during an election campaign? Of all the bad LNP takes this one could sit on top of the mountain... And it's a big mountain!
LOL. Everyone is held accountable for failure to deliver on promises made. Everyone. However, a deferred promise by an Opposition leader who may never become PM is substantially different to a broken promise by a sitting PM, a promise that was unashamedly used to help get elected. That is the point I was making and you know it.

Another graph- this one in response to the NewsCorp claim that the proposed amendments to Stage 3 tax cuts will lead to smart, young high income earning professionals and entrepreneurs seeking employment in other countries like the US:

Feels like we're back to the days when people were screaming sovereign risk at the prospect of a mining tax.

Basically, the 'American dream' where if you work hard enough, you will be rich and the primary reason why you are poor is because you're not working hard enough. Ergo, you support incentives to the rich (even if you're poor) because you know that someday with enough hard work you will join them.

Therefore, supporting more tax cuts for the rich benefits you even if you're still far away from that level. You can be convinced by those in positions of power that you are voting against your own self interest if you don't support it. Still poor? You're just not working hard enough. Shame on you.

As someone smarter than me said, they call it the American dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe in it. And it's starting to infest Australia and places around the world because of their cultural dominance.
We stayed in a mates boss' Sydney Harbour apartment last year. Nice of him to let us use it for a lads trip. My mate joined the company as it's first employee, it's grown massively to the point this guy owns property all over the country all paid off, barely works now, multiple 6 figure cars etc. My mate still defends his pittance bonus structure and works crazy hours with interstate trips etc. "If you work really hard this year your boss will buy another apartment while you rent" didn't go down too well...

I think if you take the risk starting business you should reap the rewards but the payment structure and the way employees are treated is dated now. Not much incentive to really try in most companies. I do think most people are seeing that, especially after covid but I guess that also flies in the face of what we see here and what you just explained.

I'm pro-union and fairly progressive socially. I should be an easy win for the ALP.

Forest Whitaker Laughing GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. Everyone is held accountable for failure to deliver on promises made. Everyone. However, a deferred promise by an Opposition leader who may never become PM is substantially different to a broken promise by a sitting PM, a promise that was unashamedly used to help get elected. That is the point I was making and you know it.
I know what you were trying to say... I just completely disagree. Promises don't come with caveats, we had that BS a decade ago with core and non-core promises.

I totally get the point you claim to be making, and it's still ridiculous

EDIT - Dutton's one was even stupider because he originally "committed" to something that he had no intention of doing. If the LNP want to start a "liar" war the ALP should just run that brain fart on loop.

There’s some truth to it though. Immigrants to both nations have been by and large very successful, particularly second generation immigrants, partly by buying into the “dream” and working hard.

Sussan Ley spoke out of turn - that's all. She should have known better but she did not. The decision to commit to overturning something like this needs to be made by the Shadow Cabinet.
Well seems like she's opposing for the sake of opposing something that the vast majority of the electorate are in favour of.

Isn't gonna end well in the pr stakes for the lnp.

Well seems like she's opposing for the sake of opposing something that the vast majority of the electorate are in favour of.

Isn't gonna end well in the pr stakes for the lnp.

Look, I think it's easier and less politically risky to oppose now rather than promise to repeal.

But they need to have a good, long discussion about whether they should oppose the legislation. They don't have to support, but voting against the changes may not be the best idea.

The best thing they can do IMO if the amendments to the Stage 3 tax cuts do pass is to move on.

Last edited:
There’s some truth to it though. Immigrants to both nations have been by and large very successful, particularly second generation immigrants, partly by buying into the “dream” and working hard.

True - there is a partial element of truth behind it and obviously if you're going to sit on your arse all day at home you're not likely to do well - but plenty have been seduced by the idea that they are just temporarily embarrassed millionaires and have been convinced that voting for tax cuts for the rich helps them - even if they never get there.

I'm white, middle aged, well off financially, raised by parents with values from the 40's and 50's. I should be an easy win for the Libs. But here we are.
Genuine question. How would you characterise the values you were brought up with?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back