List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Exactly

Pick 30 for an half forward with no stand out attributes? I’d rather go to the draft
im not a huge fan. to me he screams role player (albeit a good one) and role players are never certain to be as good at their 2nd club.

however i think 30 is a pretty low price to pay. i think modern draft anything beyond 1st round it already becomes fairly speculative, just as likely to get a good player at 50 as 30 imo.

also i like the idea of boosting that mid-age group, if not for anything else but to help protect and develop the kids.

You're really underselling Baker.

He can play mid, defence and attack.
Reckon he's worth about 18 to 22.
I support your valuation. Freo are holding 3 first round picks and one of them will be a late first so as to satisfy the Tigers. He would be a welcome addition to Young, Brayshaw and Serong. Compliment the mix nicely. I cannot see us getting him

If FOS really is a Walsh clone, we'd be mad not to take him.
I suspect FOS will be a top 2 selection so likely to be gone by our pick. Most orders I have seen have Jagga in the 3 to 5 range (ignoring Levi).

I suspect we will be above both Norf and Hawks come season end but Tigers could get back their injured crew and finish above us. Therefore Jagga is the one likely to be at our pick.

Of the other mids, if Norf stand and pick, then Smillie is he option I would take for them.

Tobie was the intercept king on the day for the Academy team. He used his energy and competitive intensity to continually disrupt Coburg's ball movement and make things difficult for his opponent.

I want to see more of his kicking but apart from his weird handball technique he’s someone we very much need.

I want to see more of his kicking but apart from his weird handball technique he’s someone we very much need.

His handball is both very accurate and he gets it away quickly and can hand pass it quite long distance.
What stood out for me in that clip was his footy IQ he knows where to position himself and reads the play well.

Likely prospect.

I suspect FOS will be a top 2 selection so likely to be gone by our pick. Most orders I have seen have Jagga in the 3 to 5 range (ignoring Levi).

I suspect we will be above both Norf and Hawks come season end but Tigers could get back their injured crew and finish above us. Therefore Jagga is the one likely to be at our pick.

Of the other mids, if Norf stand and pick, then Smillie is he option I would take for them.

I want to see how this cohort go head to head at the championships.

How is Jagga used forward or mid.
Does Draper play, if so how does he do.
Playing against the best does Smillie still do well.
Does Moreas produce the goods.
Who comes from nowhere and announces themselves.

Also want to cast a eye over the KPP - particularly the KPD.

I have a short list of tall defenders that I like but I think they all come off the board between our first and second picks.

I would really like somehow to pick up a pick around the 14 mark before the blowout of picks that push the first pick of the second round out to early 30’s.
Highly unlikely but that’s the sweet spot for the talls I like.

His handball is both very accurate and he gets it away quickly and can hand pass it quite long distance.
What stood out for me in that clip was his footy IQ he knows where to position himself and reads the play well.

Likely prospect.
Really like the look of him. Absolutely agree with you with footy IQ, knows where the ball is going going both into and out of a contest. I saw one kick to a contest that was halved but otherwise some really nice distribution off the HB line. Could potentially push up onto a wing too, combine testing results will be a watch.

A lot to play out but if GCS pick is 4-5, and ours is 1 I’d happily trade 1, F2 for their 3X1R and get Jagga (4-5), Travaglia type and a tall/KPD (Mraz/O’Farrell/Trainor).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the same age, Finn is more contested imo.

He's a very well rounded player.

Similar in some ways to Whitfield I guess, maybe not as deadly on the outside with his run and ball use, but he has a harder edge to him and marks very well above his head.

He's who I'd like at this early stage

As long as he goes hard when its his turn.

Im tipping in order of preference FOS,, Draper or Jagga is who we call out. If we dont split its FOS.

Unless they trade out a mid or two if North take another midfielder they are crazy and should fold. Trainor sounds exactly what they need.

Trainor sounds like a player we need to replace Gov.

Really like the look of him. Absolutely agree with you with footy IQ, knows where the ball is going going both into and out of a contest. I saw one kick to a contest that was halved but otherwise some really nice distribution off the HB line. Could potentially push up onto a wing too, combine testing results will be a watch.

A lot to play out but if GCS pick is 4-5, and ours is 1 I’d happily trade 1, F2 for their 3X1R and get Jagga (4-5), Travaglia type and a tall/KPD (Mraz/O’Farrell/Trainor).
As it stands, here is the current draft order
1713422816003.png

And here is the list of who holds what

1713422861917.png

I note that the Suns/Sleuths (this time hopefully not politically corrected by mods but you know what I mean) for they have again amassed a large pool of picks, including 2 x R1 and an end of R1.

Lombard is seen as a good pick in the 8 to 10 range. Will their own or Dogs R1 be inside that range?

What I do know is that
1. List spots at the Suns will again be tight.
2. The Suns will want to move points forward
3. The vAFL are about to change the rules again on F/S, academy and bid matching

We can offer up our F1 and our R2 (say early 20's) to the Suns so they can shift their own and Doggies R1. Hell I'd probably look at throwing in our R4 to sweeten the deal

This could leave us with
1. Our own at 3 to 4
2. Doggies R1 at 8 to 12
3. Suns R1 at 10 to 14

This would be predicated on Laura simplifying the draft and hence making it less compromised. If it stands as is, we have no chance of getting the above 2 x R1 picks at a decent price.

I write this knowing each year we hope we can do a deal with the Sleuths and each year they jump into bed with a different partner to cash in on the anomalies.

I sense I am way too early on what a trade might look like.

I expect Richmond to be the club buying the Suns and possibly Blues R1 picks as they have loaded up 2 x R2, 3 x R3 and 3 x R4 as well as their own R1.

Unless they trade out a mid or two if North take another midfielder they are crazy and should fold. Trainor sounds exactly what they need.

Trainor sounds like a player we need to replace Gov.
Track record of Norf and their need for Trainor : -
Same scenario with Logan McDonald.
Same scenario with O'Sullivan.

At least they went Wil Dawson last draft.

The problem Norf have found themselves in is that they continue to not pick who they need and lo and behold, they get criticised for having gaps in their list.

View attachment 1963054

And here is the list of who holds what

View attachment 1963056

I note that the Suns/Sleuths (this time hopefully not politically corrected by mods but you know what I mean) for they have again amassed a large pool of picks, including 2 x R1 and an end of R1.

Lombard is seen as a good pick in the 8 to 10 range. Will their own or Dogs R1 be inside that range?

What I do know is that
1. List spots at the Suns will again be tight.
2. The Suns will want to move points forward
3. The vAFL are about to change the rules again on F/S, academy and bid matching

We can offer up our F1 and our R2 (say early 20's) to the Suns so they can shift their own and Doggies R1. Hell I'd probably look at throwing in our R4 to sweeten the deal

This could leave us with
1. Our own at 3 to 4
2. Doggies R1 at 8 to 12
3. Suns R1 at 10 to 14

This would be predicated on Laura simplifying the draft and hence making it less compromised. If it stands as is, we have no chance of getting the above 2 x R1 picks at a decent price.

I write this knowing each year we hope we can do a deal with the Sleuths and each year they jump into bed with a different partner to cash in on the anomalies.

I sense I am way too early on what a trade might look like.

I expect Richmond to be the club buying the Suns and possibly Blues R1 picks as they have loaded up 2 x R2, 3 x R3 and 3 x R4 as well as their own R1.

The Suns list is over flowing with talent with buckets more to follow. They will start losing players looking for opportunity, and good ones.

Any thoughts on Joel Jeffrey?

Would love to pick him up in a pick trade as a salary dump / open up a list spot. They signrd him long term as well.

A 192cm swing man.

Each year we're obliged to cut 6 guys from the list, right? Or is there any discretion?

Just strikes me as bewildering that our fourth pick would give us the 77th best player in the draft, our 5th the 95th etc and et al.

With Tasmania coming in, that's going to exacerbate things too. In future years, would teams be willing to hold onto prospects for longer? Would a guy like SPS stay on our list for longer?

Each year we're obliged to cut 6 guys from the list, right? Or is there any discretion?

Just strikes me as bewildering that our fourth pick would give us the 77th best player in the draft, our 5th the 95th etc and et al.

With Tasmania coming in, that's going to exacerbate things too. In future years, would teams be willing to hold onto prospects for longer? Would a guy like SPS stay on our list for longer?
Each year we are required to take 3 players in the National Draft. This can include upgrading rookies.

Their is no rule about cutting 6

Baker would be useful but probably only to the same degree that Hunt has been useful, i.e. never has a bad game but rarely impacts the result of a game either. If we got him as an FA same as Hunt i would be kean, giving up any draft picks under 30 for him i am opposed to. Even though he is arguably worth a sub 30 pick in a theoretical free market where the highest bidder would win, i just don't think he is worth that to us given his age and our 5 year time horizon.

I think he would chew up some salary cap also, which is not a problem for us but might be something Freo would need to do some thinking about before they bid for him if cap space is getting tight for them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it will be quite comical if Richmond try and sell off Dusty. I don't know if any clubs would even offer them a ham sandwich for him. Looks like he is in a bad place mentally and like he couldn't care less about footy anymore with his negative body language. And thats whilst he is still on the big money. Imagine his enthusiasm levels when his current contract is up and he had to take a 70% pay cut to the pay level his current output on the field is worth. Then he will really be disinterested.

I saw that Daniel Rioli was very publicly touring the GC facilities despite being under contract for another two years. That could only happen with Richmond's permission, like if Richmond want to trade him and have told him to go look at the GC facilities to talk him into it. So it is starting to look like Richmond are preparing to have a firesale to kick start their rebuild. They probably figure better off to bottom out now than in two years time when the Tasmanian team is compromising the draft.

If i was Freo i would be more interested in asking what they would want for Lynch (assuming he could pass a medical) than chasing Baker.

As much as most seem to want a new skillful mid to complement Reid/Ginbey/Hewett, would we be better off making sure our talls are locked in first? We have KPF depth on the list(despite them being mostly very young) but we seriously lack KPDs.
If we cant secure Buss, are we better off doing whatever we reasonable can to make sure we draft at least one decently high pick KPD, along with some less elite but still good outside ball users, either for mid/wing/HB/whatever we want.

If a tall player takes a few years to be ready to go, surely we want to start that few years ASAP. If we get some smaller quicker outside mids itll be a lot easier for them to jump straight in with big guys like Reid/Ginbey/Hewett in there protecting them right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back