Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Forwards don't lead, mids can't kick. Bad combo.

Last couple of weeks we've conceded a lot of turnovers exiting defensive 50 too. Next two games will need a big level up with the ball or it will be ugly.

How about we blame the players . They are the ones on the field .
Can't sack a list of players though. And it's equally our list management as much as the coaching and players. Easier to just blame everyone at the MFC and burn the place down and start again. As long as we don't change our name to Naarm and never speak of the #demonspirit again we'll get back to the heights of the Jack Watts era where we dominated mid to lower table!

On The Couch this week they were asking, "how do you coach against this Geelong side?" Well, that's how.

A lot of people happy to sink the boots into Goodwin when things don't go our way, but we came in tonight with a clear plan to shut down their overlap game and their main movers (especially Stewart and Cameron) and executed it well. Coaching staff clearly deserve a lot of credit for that win. While it wasn't always pretty to watch, I'd prefer that to than losing. Hope all the posters here who were tugging themselves off at the prospect of losing 130-120 in 2018 style are crying themselves to sleep right now.

Am I giving Goody credit for a great win and dismissing 3 unbelievably s**t quarters of footy?

Season 4 No GIF

Last edited:
On The Couch this week they were asking, "how do you coach against this Geelong side?" Well, that's how.

A lot of people happy to sink the boots into Goodwin when things don't go our way, but we came in tonight with a clear plan to shut down their overlap game and their main movers (especially Stewart and Cameron) and executed it well. Coaching staff clearly deserve a lot of credit for that win. While it wasn't always pretty to watch, I'd prefer that to than losing. Hope all the posters here who were tugging themselves off at the prospect of losing 130-120 in 2018 style are crying themselves to sleep right now.
He did some very good coaching tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credit to Goody tonight. Shut down the Cats strengths. Still concerned about that forward half, but he's getting the most out of our strengths.
All a coach can do. He can’t play for them.

I was really happy for him tonight. Great job

Lol at the blokes who's opinion flips week to week.

Same way we won games last year, there was no coaching master class we killed the game for 3 quarters and won the last quarter. That game style won't do a ******* thing in September and I'll bet you money on that right now.

You must love tugging yourself to straight set exits because we're looking down the barrel of it again

1152413.jpg

You, Jeremy Cameron, play as bad as you have in years

9455adec-5ba5-41bd-b78a-e01debeb90ec_text.gif

1152413.jpg

You, Harrison Petty, mark everything tonight

9455adec-5ba5-41bd-b78a-e01debeb90ec_text.gif

Master coaching is 5 goals to ¾ time 😂😂
Master coaching was the whole game coming down to Gawn and Fritsch pulling goals out their arse while Jeremy Cameron did a Bailey Fritsch finals choke

Haha, have a day off lads. Maybe it's time to touch some grass, or hug a puppy or something. You're endlessly trying to pass off mindless cynicism for hard-hitting realism on this board, and it's getting old. Take the L tonight and move on.

Or, better yet, instead of posting memes, tell us what you would have done differently tonight? Do you think our list is just so fantastic that we could beat a 7-0 team without making any effort to shut their game down? Maybe we should emulate GWS and Carlton more, and play with more attacking flair? How did they go against premiership contenders this weekend? Sure we just "killed the game for 3 quarters and won the last quarter," but if that's all it takes to beat Geelong, then why didn't the other 7 teams who have played them do that?

Do you think we won just because Fristch and Gawn kicked unlikely goals? Or because Jeremy Cameron fluffed a couple? Is that your hard-hitting analysis? What about all the easy goals we missed in the third, which should have had us 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time? Or do you think we won just because Petty played above himself? What about all the players - like Trac, Viney, etc. - who had middling games by their standards? Not sure how much responsibility you think coaches have for good / bad goalkicking or good / bad individual performances, but you have to at least concede that it cuts both ways.

And just because the game was low-scoring and a defensive grind, it doesn't mean that we're reliving the failures of the last two years. We showed a clear intent to retain possession and find uncontested marks tonight, rather than just relying on repeat forward-50 entries and bombing it mindlessly into the forward-line at the first opportunity: that's different to the last two years. There was a clear intent to play on and use the corridor where possible, instead of holding the ball up and just lobbing it down the wing to a contest every time: that's different to the last two years. We've transformed from one of the least efficient teams for converting inside 50s into scores into one of the most efficient: that's different to the last two years. It hasn't always come off, and we've gone backwards in other areas this year, but I think there's at least been a clear effort to rectify the mistakes of the past two seasons. And that was (somewhat imperfectly) on display tonight.

Wanting us to kick more goals isn't a game plan. Wanting us to be less s**t isn't a game plan. Please, for the love of God, get your hands off each other's dicks and tell us concretely what you would have done, given the limitations of this list, to a) beat Geelong more convincingly tonight, and b) to transform us into clear premiership favourites over teams like Sydney, GWS, Geelong and Collingwood. This isn't sarcasm - I'm genuinely eager to receive your wisdom and learn how we can be a better team.

Haha, have a day off lads. Maybe it's time to touch some grass, or hug a puppy or something. You're endlessly trying to pass off mindless cynicism for hard-hitting realism on this board, and it's getting old. Take the L tonight and move on.

Or, better yet, instead of posting memes, tell us what you would have done differently tonight? Do you think our list is just so fantastic that we could beat a 7-0 team without making any effort to shut their game down? Maybe we should emulate GWS and Carlton more, and play with more attacking flair? How did they go against premiership contenders this weekend? Sure we just "killed the game for 3 quarters and won the last quarter," but if that's all it takes to beat Geelong, then why didn't the other 7 teams who have played them do that?

Do you think we won just because Fristch and Gawn kicked unlikely goals? Or because Jeremy Cameron fluffed a couple? Is that your hard-hitting analysis? What about all the easy goals we missed in the third, which should have had us 3-4 goals up at 3/4 time? Or do you think we won just because Petty played above himself? What about all the players - like Trac, Viney, etc. - who had middling games by their standards? Not sure how much responsibility you think coaches have for good / bad goalkicking or good / bad individual performances, but you have to at least concede that it cuts both ways.

And just because the game was low-scoring and a defensive grind, it doesn't mean that we're reliving the failures of the last two years. We showed a clear intent to retain possession and find uncontested marks tonight, rather than just relying on repeat forward-50 entries and bombing it mindlessly into the forward-line at the first opportunity: that's different to the last two years. There was a clear intent to play on and use the corridor where possible, instead of holding the ball up and just lobbing it down the wing to a contest every time: that's different to the last two years. We've transformed from one of the least efficient teams for converting inside 50s into scores into one of the most efficient: that's different to the last two years. It hasn't always come off, and we've gone backwards in other areas this year, but I think there's at least been a clear effort to rectify the mistakes of the past two seasons. And that was (somewhat imperfectly) on display tonight.

Wanting us to kick more goals isn't a game plan. Wanting us to be less s**t isn't a game plan. Please, for the love of God, get your hands off each other's dicks and tell us concretely what you would have done, given the limitations of this list, to a) beat Geelong more convincingly tonight, and b) to transform us into clear premiership favourites over teams like Sydney, GWS, Geelong and Collingwood. This isn't sarcasm - I'm genuinely eager to receive your wisdom and learn how we can be a better team.
I've already written this elsewhere, we are playing a half pregnant style. We've swapped long kicks to the pocket and repeat entries to really slow movement around the ground and kicking inside more precisely but sacrificed absolutely nothing the other way. Which means all we are doing is getting the exact same results as last year with no difference at all to scoring. We beat good teams last year with the bomb to the pocket style and kill the game, now we're trapping the ball between the arcs more and killing the game
Well win games, we won't win the flag this way it's not different to last year

To truly change and compete we'd need to attack off half back more which is what all the actual good sides do now, we need to be prepared to have 4 goals kicked on a row against us trying to score.

Don't give me that rubbish about how did GWS and Carlton go, how did our game go against Brisbane and Sydney? We ain't gonna win the flag averaging 80 points a game.

Also what was your concrete analysis?
We scored more than them? Goodwins a genius? Truly inspiring words mate.

I literally called this game perfectly before it happened. I said we'd be 4 goals to 3 at half time and win a s**t fest. It was 5 goals to 6 at ¾ time.

Same soul sucking crap that got us exposed in September

Thinking last night was a step in the right direction is very results orientated. It was a shitty arm wrestle, we turned the game into a 50/50 heading into a final quarter like we have done against good teams for the most part of the past two years, got the win this time, yay, we were definitely due if it's a 50/50 like I say. Glad you enjoyed the win tho JP2 . Shove it back in my face as the turning point in 6 months after weve won the flag or even made the grand final by all means. I'll remain sceptical til then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back