Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sicily was going to go off at anyone I do feel like Watson is one who can take it. I know Sic looked back, felt bad and apologised but it certainly did seem to spark some really good defensive efforts to finish the game.
Sicily should have gone off at himself first for the lousy handpass. Wiz had to break stride to collect it.

I want to agree with you, but Watson is probably capable of anything based on his highlight reels.

He may well have been able to get it to Gunners, I mean he almost kicked an insane goal running flat out while falling over the boundary.
The Wiz is one of those instinctive kind of players. If you take away those kind of instinctive plays then you take away what makes him special so he will have to work out the thin line between team and when to play on instinct and it's important to remember that he won't always get it right. The kid has been injured the last 3-4 games but learning the team structures / running patterns is what I feel has contributed to his slowish start to his career and we haven't seen the much talked about flair / flamboyance because he is likely not playing on instinct and over doing the team structures / running patterns which isn't a bad thing as he gets settled at the top flight level. We all need to be patient.

I know it seemed like Gunston was annoyed with him for taking that shot on he boundary - but I think that was a really impressive play. For one he picked that ball up and kicked it, whilst running at pace, in an instant. I'd say very few players could do that.

And secondly he wouldn't have been able to handpass it towards Gunston without taking it out of bounds. He did it all just as he and the ball were crossing the line.

I think if I was Sam I would give the Wiz the green light to take shots wherever he is inside 50.

My only criticism of Cyril is he was too selfless at times. I want the Wiz to be hungry!

Did anyone else notice on the Kayo coverage the commentary from Matthew Richardson when the Wiz spoiled Dureya and then the chase down tackle of Jones. Got a fair rise out of Richardson. Something like yessssss well done. Sounded funny hearing Richo cheer for one of our players.

The Wiz is one of those instinctive kind of players. If you take away those kind of instinctive plays then you take away what makes him special so he will have to work out the thin line between team and when to play on instinct and it's important to remember that he won't always get it right. The kid has been injured the last 3-4 games but learning the team structures / running patterns is what I feel has contributed to his slowish start to his career and we haven't seen the much talked about flair / flamboyance because he is likely not playing on instinct and over doing the team structures / running patterns which isn't a bad thing as he gets settled at the top flight level. We all need to be patient.

No doubt, he's on a level above everyone else in terms of how quickly he sees it and how quickly he can execute.

Been around the club a fair while too, so I'm sure whatever he's doing it pretty much what has been asked of him.

Did anyone else notice on the Kayo coverage the commentary from Matthew Richardson when the Wiz spoiled Dureya and then the chase down tackle of Jones. Got a fair rise out of Richardson. Something like yessssss well done. Sounded funny hearing Richo cheer for one of our players.
When did Richo move to Fox?

Think it was Riewoldt but yes he loved it

Bloody love that Sam stood up for his player like that also. Yes admitted he made a mistake but then the giggling journo gets put back into his place and Sam talks up Watto like that for all to see.

Wiz is tough, he doesn’t shy away from making contact with the bigger players (which is everyone in his case). The 2v1 was fantastic but there was another play out of the centre where he barreled into a Doggies player causing them to not get a hold of the ball. He’s not kicking goals but he is certainly helping to create them. Once he gets used to the pace of the game and knows he has time to compose himself with his speed and agility the goals will come. Perceived pressure incoming. ‘You’ve got him Cyril Wiz!’
The kid has played 4 games with 1 coming as as the sub. He's kicked 2 goals 9 behinds which hasn't been ideal for his confidence but the important thing is that he's had scoring opportunities. Just like Calsher needs another preseason under his belt it's important to remember that the Wiz will as well.

If Sicily was going to go off at anyone I do feel like Watson is one who can take it. I know Sic looked back, felt bad and apologised but it certainly did seem to spark some really good defensive efforts to finish the game.
In the interview after the game Sic mentioned that he'll need to touch base with Nick. I don't think he was very proud of his reaction as he wen't full LeBron James tantrum on that one 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it was Riewoldt. Either way the recognition of the play remains the same and speaks volumes of kid IMO.
Riewoldt (I think) also got very excited and complimentary of one of Mass’ spoils too. I like it.

I want to agree with you, but Watson is probably capable of anything based on his highlight reels.

He may well have been able to get it to Gunners, I mean he almost kicked an insane goal running flat out while falling over the boundary.

I think all he could have done was try and handpass over his shoulder and hope for the best. No way he had enough room to stop and turn to handpass it.

Last edited:
Sicily should have gone off at himself first for the lousy handpass. Wiz had to break stride to collect it.
More than the handpass, I think sic needed to demonstrate his sheppard more clearly. He body blocked, but didn't show Watson that he was clear with wide arms. We don't do that enough across the board. Sheppard's are about more than just temporary being a bit in the way

Edit: Probably worth remembering that Sicily would have been struggling to perform both of these actions well, his dominant shoulder must have been sore and a little weaker.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
On second viewing of that miss, the Sicily handball was way worse than I thought.

If Watson had taken the time to collect the ball, straighten up and find the goals but ended up getting tackled by the defender then I think you'd have to say Sicily's handball cost the goal.

I think the fact the handball went out a bit wider and not into his path caused him to lose his bearings and perhaps the pressure of the moment caused him to rush it. Which is still on him to make sure he uses the ball as well as possible regardless of how he gets it.

In my view it's shared responsibility for them both. Plenty to learn from that moment for the future. Glad it wasn't the difference in the result.

All these missed goals will be the making of him in a few years time, it’s nice it didn’t come to easy for him because he is about to rip a game to pieces soon.

You can tell he is about to hit a stratosphere not many can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back