A Section VAFA Premier 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW is it time for the Premier division to have 12 teams and a top5? The teams that come up from Prem B now are a lot more competitive. The gap between the top 14-15 teams in the comp and the rest continues to widen as evidenced from the state of Prem B for the past 5 years or so. Uni Blacks, St.Bernards, Carey would all be very competitive in Premier at the moment. Makes fixturing a bit tricky but I'm sure the boys at EP could work it out.
Don't see the need (almost a Jascave -like question?). Based on your number of 14-15 that would make for an even less competitive B grade as there would be 2-3 dominators as opposed to 4-5?

The great thing about 10 teams is that nearly all teams have something to play for right to the end of the season - relegation or finals. And 18 rounds to play everyone twice is perfect.

Sorry, not for me. Ain't broken, doesn't need fixing.

FWIW is it time for the Premier division to have 12 teams and a top5? The teams that come up from Prem B now are a lot more competitive. The gap between the top 14-15 teams in the comp and the rest continues to widen as evidenced from the state of Prem B for the past 5 years or so. Uni Blacks, St.Bernards, Carey would all be very competitive in Premier at the moment. Makes fixturing a bit tricky but I'm sure the boys at EP could work it out.
I think it is a good idea. 12 teams, top 5, bottom 2 relegated

Don't see the need (almost a Jascave -like question?). Based on your number of 14-15 that would make for an even less competitive B grade as there would be 2-3 dominators as opposed to 4-5?

The great thing about 10 teams is that nearly all teams have something to play for right to the end of the season - relegation or finals. And 18 rounds to play everyone twice is perfect.

Sorry, not for me. Ain't broken, doesn't need fixing.

Im more with SS. Playing each other twice is ideal, couldnt be fairer. If you have 10, 12, or 22 teams its always going
to be the bottom 2 dropping off. That wont change. The bottom 6 - 7 in B. are always going to struggle as they will be up against A. Grade
relegated teams. Imagine the gap if Xavs (they wont) were to drop to B.

Two thrillers today... St Bedes, bad kicking == bad football and it cost them dearly.

And Blues just leaving their run far too late cost them dearly.
Xavs can thank the Big Bald Bloke with the wife who loves a foul mouthed spray for their victory.
He may be ageing, and he may have the turning circle of the titanic, but he certainly is a smart footballer and a beautiful set shot for goal.
I expected Brighton to fall away after their early wins, but no, they are the real deal. I can’t see the top 4 changing. SKOB and Wesley are locks, infact they were locks preseason. Trinity are back to their 15/16 form. Top 8-10 players as good as any.
Throw a blanket over the rest for relegation. Don’t see Blues being relegated as their top 8-10 players are also brilliant. Don’t see Xavs as they have depth to burn and will find the 6 or 7 wins needed. Not De La for me. Nor Bedes who can post enough wins on the stamp to avoid the fall.
So that leaves Melbourne and Scotch. The establishment. Sorry lads.

And Blues just leaving their run far too late cost them dearly.
Xavs can thank the Big Bald Bloke with the wife who loves a foul mouthed spray for their victory.
He may be ageing, and he may have the turning circle of the titanic, but he certainly is a smart footballer and a beautiful set shot for goal.
I expected Brighton to fall away after their early wins, but no, they are the real deal. I can’t see the top 4 changing. SKOB and Wesley are locks, infact they were locks preseason. Trinity are back to their 15/16 form. Top 8-10 players as good as any.
Throw a blanket over the rest for relegation. Don’t see Blues being relegated as their top 8-10 players are also brilliant. Don’t see Xavs as they have depth to burn and will find the 6 or 7 wins needed. Not De La for me. Nor Bedes who can post enough wins on the stamp to avoid the fall.
So that leaves Melbourne and Scotch. The establishment. Sorry lads.

The boundary snap goal he kicked in the second saw him turn on a dime! A fantastic individual display. Both teams ordinary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will this year's VAFA Premier Grand Final be played at Trevor Barker Oval in Sandringham again, or will the VAFA return the Grand Final back to its traditional home, Sportscover Arena/Elsternwick Park?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will this year's VAFA Premier Grand Final be played at Trevor Barker Oval in Sandringham again, or will the VAFA return the Grand Final back to its traditional home, Sportscover Arena/Elsternwick Park?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
....and the world is once again a safer place.

They wouldn’t be resurfacing the ground and building a new stadium to send the GF to Trevor Barker again.

Juat watched the 4th Quater of Xavs v Stbeds WOW captivating. Must of been a great game to be at especially that last quarter! Side note: Little Beverage from stBeds has to be pound for pound the best tackler in the comp.

#HowGoodsFooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Juat watched the 4th Quater of Xavs v Stbeds WOW captivating. Must of been a great game to be at especially that last quarter! Side note: Little Beverage from stBeds has to be pound for pound the best tackler in the comp.

#HowGoodsFooty

SBMT still yet to have a game where they score more goals than points. It's already cost them dearly in a couple of games. Not sure if they missed many easy ones on Saturday but they were guilty of missing a number of easy ones two weeks ago.

Interesting stat:
The Bottom 3 teams are the top 3 teams in the reserves.
Old Brighton, whilst using 24 players are bottom in the reserves with a percentage of less than 50%.

Max "The season isn't over until its over" Leader

Interesting stat:
Old Brighton, whilst using 24 players are bottom in the reserves with a percentage of less than 50%.

It was covered a bit on last week's podcast just how many senior players are currently running around in the DLS seconds. It's crazy that that much talent is not being put to better use.

Interesting stat:

What it does demonstrate is that the bottom 3 in Premier A. are of comparable standard to their Reserve teams.

It was covered a bit on last week's podcast just how many senior players are currently running around in the DLS seconds. It's crazy that that much talent is not being put to better use.

For context you need to mention the other part of that discussion – i.e. Jack Vickers first game back after missing 12 months through injury, Dave Lowe easing back after no pre-season, Joe Black retuning after an ACL, Josh Tyquin has missed a year and a half with chronic OP etc etc. A couple of others rushed back in for one game after injury or limited pre-season were clearly underdone and exposed. DLS not playing these blokes in the twos because they want to. It’s because they are not yet ready for senior footy. A few will come back in over the next 3 weeks but expecting someone to step straight into Premier seniors after no pre-season is absurd.

Some interesting stats below would indicate that Trinity have played close to their best side every week this season.

On the other hand, OM’s and Old Brighton have been stretched which makes OB’s record all the more impressive coming up from Premier B.

Penski I just edited your table from last week to this week, I hope that’s ok?

Old Brighton - 33 now 34
DLS - 33 still 33
Old Melburnians - 32 now 36
Old Scotch - 31 now 32
Collegians - 30 now 32
SBMT - 30 still 30
Old Xavs - 29 now 33
Uni Blues - 28 now 31
St Kevins - 27 now 31
Old Trinity - 24 now 27

Last edited:
Some interesting stats below would indicate that Trinity have played close to their best side every week this season.

On the other hand, OM’s and Old Brighton have been stretched which makes OB’s record all the more impressive coming up from Premier B.

Old Brighton - 33 now 34
DLS - 33 still 33
Old Scotch - 31 now 32
Collegians - 30 now 31
SBMT - 30 still 30
Old Xavs - 29 now 33
Uni Blues - 28 now 31
St Kevins - 27 now 31
Old Trinity - 24 now 27

Collegians actually up to 32. Had two guys play their first games for the year on the weekend.

I can attest to OM's definately being down on personnel on the weekend, which makes their play all the more impressive, leading us by under a kick over 9 minutes into the last quarter before falling away. Their defense held up extremely well for 3 quarters, and we really struggled to penetrate.

Collegians actually up to 32. Had two guys play their first games for the year on the weekend.

I can attest to OM's definately being down on personnel on the weekend, which makes their play all the more impressive, leading us by under a kick over 9 minutes into the last quarter before falling away. Their defense held up extremely well for 3 quarters, and we really struggled to penetrate.

Your being to kind to OM's in the last. Colls had 3 set shots in the first 5 mins (all straight up goals) and missed all 3...Would have been a 10 goal blow out.

Old Brighton - 33 now 34
DLS - 33 still 33
Old Scotch - 31 now 32
Collegians - 30 now 32
SBMT - 30 still 30
Old Xavs - 29 now 33
Uni Blues - 28 now 31
St Kevins - 27 now 31
Old Trinity - 24 now 27
Did you make it out to Toorak Park on Saturday Vince? Good opportunity to catch up with your OX contacts?

VAFA selectors...what were you thinking??
You name a squad of 40. 34 from A Grade. Nearly 20 from SKOB, Collegians and Brighton. Brilliant. Tick. Players in form rewarded. Loving it.
Then you pick Milne. 6 goals. Lucky to have had 30 possessions. Hasn’t been in the best once. Hasn’t laid a tackle or chased this year.
Wouldn’t be in the top 200 currently.
There wasn’t one of you willing to stand up and say ‘guys are you serious here or are you taking the piss?’ Reminds me of the Australian cricket dressing room that crazy lunch day. Not one person was able to see the rediculousness of it?

VAFA selectors...what were you thinking??
You name a squad of 40. 34 from A Grade. Nearly 20 from SKOB, Collegians and Brighton. Brilliant. Tick. Players in form rewarded. Loving it.
Then you pick Milne. 6 goals. Lucky to have had 30 possessions. Hasn’t been in the best once. Hasn’t laid a tackle or chased this year.
Wouldn’t be in the top 200 currently.
There wasn’t one of you willing to stand up and say ‘guys are you serious here or are you taking the piss?’ Reminds me of the Australian cricket dressing room that crazy lunch day. Not one person was able to see the rediculousness of it?

Was a very late inclusion last year but from all reports played ok. Agree it seems a strange selection and can only suggest that Stuey Powell wanted all of the who played in VAFA v VCFL game last year to be considered. I am sure that some of those named will become unavailable for various reasons and others will be added. Would be surprised if he makes the trip to SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back