The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who has doubts about Chris Fagan's credibility as a coach &/or mentor for our young list, have a listen to his podcast with Sam McClure yesterday. I have ZERO doubt that he is the perfect coach for this emerging side right now and for 2-3 years ahead. Hopefully we can be lucky enough to have him longer than his current commitment to allow us to play finals footy & beyond.

Anyone who has doubts about Chris Fagan's credibility as a coach &/or mentor for our young list, have a listen to his podcast with Sam McClure yesterday. I have ZERO doubt that he is the perfect coach for this emerging side right now and for 2-3 years ahead. Hopefully we can be lucky enough to have him longer than his current commitment to allow us to play finals footy & beyond.

Do you have a link?

Very happy with McStay up forward. Taking multiple marks inside 50 each week and his second efforts and defensive pressure was quite good today.

He very easily could have kicked a bag against the Suns too. 1 goal 3 behinds and 1 out on the full. I'd like to see more marks like that one in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much to my surprise/disappointment if the season finished today we'd have our second best F/A percentage of the last five years despite winning less games.

Our percentage (71.7%) is above Carlton (69.8%) and St Kilda (64.5%). Remove the Richmond game and it's a respectable 82.4%, so things aren't all doom and gloom despite not yet getting a win on the board.

I know this is the positives thread, but I will say that we really need a win soon as reward for effort. If we keep pushing sides as we did yesterday, eventually one will fall our way.

Some more quick positives:
- Beams looks to be moving a lot more freely the past few weeks
- Zorko back in a big way with 34 touches, 10 tackles, 10 inside 50s, and 4 goals
- Bailey slowly getting used to the standard/pace of AFL footy
- We've gone from being disappointed because we lost by ~100 points to being disappointed because we lost a(nother) winnable game. Lots of supporters on here seem frustrated by these close losses and are declaring that we haven't improved, etc. That's simply not true. We have improved.

Much to my surprise/disappointment if the season finished today we'd have our second best F/A percentage of the last five years despite winning less games.

There were some ugly years in the middle there, but things are starting to look a little prettier.

worm_brl_7.png

I think of our remaining 15 games 12 are winnable. I feel pretty positive about that!

As for whether we are improving or not i noted for the first time in a long time my wife took an interest in watching the last quarter. Forget for and against and other stats this is the one thing that proves we have improved! When she stops taking cooking magazines to the games with me then I know we are a genuine finals team!

I think of our remaining 15 games 12 are winnable. I feel pretty positive about that!

As for whether we are improving or not i noted for the first time in a long time my wife took an interest in watching the last quarter. Forget for and against and other stats this is the one thing that proves we have improved! When she stops taking cooking magazines to the games with me then I know we are a genuine finals team!
Look out September here we come.:)

Just for my own curiosity, here are all the times we have been within a goal in the 4th quarter:

Round 1: St Kilda v Brisbane
Q4 - 12m, 82-76

Round 2: Brisbane v Melbourne
Q4 - 25m, 73-79

Round 3: Brisbane v Port Adelaide
Q4 - Full Time, 97-92

Round 5: Brisbane v Gold Coast
Q4 - Full Time, 71-76

Round 7: Brisbane v Collingwood
Q4 - 29m, 114-115

That's 5 times we've been in winning positions; 4 of them have been cruelly close to the final siren. You just feel that with 22 games more experience into Hipwood, Berry, McCluggage, Rayner, Witherden etc. and we would've stolen a couple of them. #Best0And7SideEver

Just for my own curiosity, here are all the times we have been within a goal in the 4th quarter:

Q4 - 12m, 82-76

Q4 - 25m, 73-79

Q4 - Full Time, 97-92

Q4 - Full Time, 71-76

Q4 - 29m, 114-115

That's 5 times we've been in winning positions; 4 of them have been cruelly close to the final siren. You just feel that with 22 games more experience into Hipwood, Berry, McCluggage, Rayner, Witherden etc. and we would've stolen a couple of them. #Best0And7SideEver
Thanks for that Rally, demonstrates that we are literally a Bee's you know what away from winning some games. For the few doomsayers that have been posting that there has been none or very little improvement, have another look at Rally's post.

#infaganwetrust

Q4 - 12m, 82-76

Q4 - 25m, 73-79

Q4 - Full Time, 97-92

Q4 - Full Time, 71-76

Q4 - 29m, 114-115

Great post. Yes - I feel like they play like my u7s soccer team I coach and get in the way of each other or take wrong options at crucial scoring times etc. Will all iron out with more games and cohesion (that's what I keep my telling myself with the soccer anyway!).

One more stat I like: out of the 56 games (112 scores kicked) in 2018, our 114 points against Collingwood was the 14th-highest this season.

If we'd kicked 114 points in any game from Round 5, 6 or 7 we would have all but 2 of them. Was an incredibly good performance.

Thanks for that Rally, demonstrates that we are literally a Bee's you know what away from winning some games. For the few doomsayers that have been posting that there has been none or very little improvement, have another look at Rally's post.

#infaganwetrust

I'll be extra positive here. We aren't just a lick away from winning a game, we are close to being around 4-3. It's not a huge leap from where we are to being finals quality IMO. Once we get confidence in the clinches and learn how to win, we will start winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back