Unofficial Preview R17 2018 - Crows v Cats, Thurs @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Abbott is a number 1 ruck from what I understand. He's not a forward, so why pick him there?

Fair question. Answer is the fwd just needs to be a big body and chop out a bit in the ruck. Maybe if he's holding up ok in the ruck and we get ahead Stanley can be left at full forward. It's not ideal but he's all we've really got when Buzza was s**t in the twos and he and Gardner played full games only 4 days before, while Abbott rested.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

My ins/outs (sorry if this has already been said):

In: Menzel, Abbott

Out: Taylor, Murdoch

**assuming Taylor and Murdoch aren't up to it

Which is exactly how he should play for 2 reasons, 1; his ball use is far better for the team outside the contest than inside, and 2; it ensures he's able to play more games and for more seasons.
I've been more than happy with Abletts season thus far.
He also said Kelly has been asked to play more inside and with Narkle also in the team we have enough inside ball winners. Ablett's role changes depending on match-up which is why his tackle numbers and inside stats fluctuate from week to week.

And he's happy to play that role.

The thing I really like about Stanley the last month is that he just jumps at the ball. No more baulking, side stepping or squibbing the contest. He's not a world beater but he is giving us 110% which is all you can ask. He runs hard and really stretches teams. I agree with the previous comments. He is playing well so why tinker with it. Playing him fwd would seem to be ridiculous this late in the season. For us and him.

If there is one thing that's irritated me over the last 4-5 years is that we are so so unsettled or up in the air leading into the finals. Mucking around with rucks, swapping key backs and fwds, swapping the run with players, dropping ppl late in the season b/c of match-ups.

How about this year we go in settled structurally. Harry is a second fwd. If Harry is sore then Buzza plays his role. If one of the small fwds is hurt then bring in a like for like. If Hendo comes in then a tall back goes out.

Unless Stanley is out then Abbott should be a no.

Bulldog looked horrible as well before they dragged us down. So we need to keep low key.

I wouldn't think that we could sit back and do a cruise in this game just because we won SYD.

If we can hold tight at the first half, I would be very very happy and dare to think that we do have a chance to win.

Bulldog looked horrible as well before they dragged us down. So we need to keep low key.

I wouldn't think that we could sit back and do a cruise in this game just because we won SYD.

If we can hold tight at the first half, I would be very very happy and dare to think that we do have a chance to win.

Yep. Anyone who thinks this will be a walk in the park is kidding themselves.

The thing I really like about Stanley the last month is that he just jumps at the ball. No more baulking, side stepping or squibbing the contest. He's not a world beater but he is giving us 110% which is all you can ask. He runs hard and really stretches teams. I agree with the previous comments. He is playing well so why tinker with it. Playing him fwd would seem to be ridiculous this late in the season. For us and him.

If there is one thing that's irritated me over the last 4-5 years is that we are so so unsettled or up in the air leading into the finals. Mucking around with rucks, swapping key backs and fwds, swapping the run with players, dropping ppl late in the season b/c of match-ups.

How about this year we go in settled structurally. Harry is a second fwd. If Harry is sore then Buzza plays his role. If one of the small fwds is hurt then bring in a like for like. If Hendo comes in then a tall back goes out.

Again Abbott coming in doesn't mean he takes over the bulk of the ruck work. Maybe 20-25% with about the rest at full forward and on the bench. Ideally we bring in a more specific forward/ruck but he played a full game in wet and heavy conditions 4 days earlier and didn't play very well. Nothing necessarily changes for Stanley.

Again Abbott coming in doesn't mean he takes over the bulk of the ruck work. Maybe 20-25% with about the rest at full forward and on the bench. Ideally we bring in a more specific forward/ruck but he played a full game in wet and heavy conditions 4 days earlier and didn't play very well. Nothing necessarily changes for Stanley.

If Abbott is in it has to though.

Can't pick Abbott to play predominantly forward or on the bench. He doesn't bring anything to the team there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of those games where the ins and outs for both sides will impact the result.Talia playing is huge for them,if he misses Hawkins has a field day,Betts and Gibson taging Selwood strengthens the crows.
For Geelong We wait on Harry Taylor and Gary Ablett and will bring back Menzel what will he produce first back chockies or boiled lollies?
Hopeful of 4 premiership points but not super confident,Cats by 10 points.

This game is huuuuuuge, it’s the easiest of our hardest 3 games for the year left, I think we lose the Tigers and Hawks game but this is pretty even, all the home games we’ll win. This is our revenge game, we could completely destroy their finals hopes if we win tomorrow night. Hoping JJ can do a number on Laird to stop his run from defence. Cats in a close one, 2pts.

If Abbott is in it has to though.

Can't pick Abbott to play predominantly forward or on the bench. He doesn't bring anything to the team there.
I don't get it. We've asked for consistency from Stanley and after 4 years he is delivering. Dropping him from the ruck doesn't make any sense to me. Buzza or Crameri to replace Taylor, that's it.

Huge game. Good time to roll out one of Chris Scott’s favourite clichés ‘We need to prepare as if the Crows are going to bring their best form. We know their best is right up there with the top teams in the competition. We are under no illusions about that.’

This will be a harder game than last week, we will either need to play better or kick straighter to win.

Crows, like Essendon and Bulldogs before them, are likely to be extremely dangerous opponents, the combination of little to lose and playing for pride only, seems to produce erratically good performance from decent opposition.

But I am not overly worried about opposition, it is time to get a gauge on Geelong’s credentials. Can we kick start our season? If the midfield can click, our defence will keep them to a losing score.

Cats by 15 points. Dangerfield 40 plus from midfield.

Hope we wipe the floor with them and end their season on their home deck.
Can't stand their players or supporters.
#feederclub #wecryasone #lolmarty #youdontsaynotoroo

maybe they want to give him a chop out for a few weeks; make sure he doesnt break down leading into finals?

Drop a couple games and we don’t make finals, we need everyone at their best NOW, we have Crows, Tigers, Hawks, Demons coming up, resting players for finals isn’t on the cards.

we're not talking about resting anyone, we're talking about giving him a hand in some crucial games so he isnt rucking 120 minutes by himself against top opposition every week.

Do people think Stanley is up and about simply because its a contract year and he knows he could be gone at the end of the season? Maybe he has come to a realization that if he doesn't pull his finger out his career will be over. I hope if thats the case he doesn't get comfortable again and drop off once/if a new contract is signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back