Game Day Rd17 2018 - Adelaide v Geelong, Thurs Jul 12 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vdubs would you describe yourself aas Glass half full or half empty?..

The way i see it is we are far from a perfect side but a growing side... we have backed ourselves into a corner... and now if we a re good enough we go out and beat the Crows. If not then OK we can balance that.. and start getting ready for a cull... because we have been build for a long time.. and we still are not there.. was when cs took over 2017/2018 the original date that we would be a around the mark again? The last couple of years I feel we are now starting to see the future with Narkles and Parfitts etc. its taken a while , and I think we have treadingwater for a while but now I think we are heading in the right direction

Im not over perturbed if we fall short.. id rather get to the finals on the back of these type of games then be fools gold... and as a Gold Class member of the glass half empty ... I think we will beat Adelaide. Id love to see Buzza and Narkle etc do well while we do it... and if fit I think Gary will have a better game. Just get the ball to him .. 50-60 out. One of these game its going to be 4 goals for GA.
I have no time for glass half analogies.
I look at the team we select, the team we play, form, continuity, and who we have missing.
Menzel IN is massive. Can we expect what we got from him in rds 1-6?
Buzza, Simpson are again part of our bottom 12, and we are just rotating these sorts of players week after week, with no conclusions.
I understand the need, and as I have been saying all year, if your bottom 6 determine your fate late in the year, we have a bottom 12.
That is just an honest appraisal of our list. I love each player that puts on a Cats jumper, but it doesn't make them formidable.

Having gone to the Prelim last year, that place truly is a challenging place to play as an opposition.

Last edited:
I think we would have to create a new way to lose to give up the 4 points here,Adelaide have been s**t.
I was feeling like that until the news about Sloane came out. It really can make a difference to the crows attitude. We need to withstand an initial torrent, then get all over them.

Cats should win, Crows have been snot lately. Both teams will be having a massive crack and I’m predicting an ugly game.
Danger MUST play in the guts the whole game, especially with Menz back. Hoping they send Scooter to Crouch, he’s their most damaging mid.
Please let the good Geelong turn up.
Cats by 11pts

I was feeling like that until the news about Sloane came out. It really can make a difference to the crows attitude. We need to withstand an initial torrent, then get all over them.
Maybe others will see Sloane's contract in the light of them having to take a hair cut or even be moved on,it might upset the apple cart for a little while.Hope so.

Maybe others will see Sloane's contract in the light of them having to take a hair cut or even be moved on,it might upset the apple cart for a little while.Hope so.
He is as vital to them as JSelwood is for us.

Vdubs would you describe yourself aas Glass half full or half empty?..

The way i see it is we are far from a perfect side but a growing side... we have backed ourselves into a corner... and now if we a re good enough we go out and beat the Crows. If not then OK we can balance that.. and start getting ready for a cull... because we have been build for a long time.. and we still are not there.. was when cs took over 2017/2018 the original date that we would be a around the mark again? The last couple of years I feel we are now starting to see the future with Narkles and Parfitts etc. its taken a while , and I think we have treadingwater for a while but now I think we are heading in the right direction

Im not over perturbed if we fall short.. id rather get to the finals on the back of these type of games then be fools gold... and as a Gold Class member of the glass half empty ... I think we will beat Adelaide. Id love to see Buzza and Narkle etc do well while we do it... and if fit I think Gary will have a better game. Just get the ball to him .. 50-60 out. One of these game its going to be 4 goals for GA.

But 2 weeks ago Geel couldnt beat Footscray - yet Hawthorn totally destroyed the Dogs - totally outclassed them - watching that 2nd half - i thought Geel couldnt beat this rabble

Tonight is a big ask - Simpson Narkle JJ - very inexperienced players - at a hostile environment - Buzza at CHF ( God help Geel ) and Menzel who is a class player - but missed 10 weeks - played a game and a bit in the 2nds - and comes into an important - high pressure game - and is expected by some to take off where he left off

Every now and again Geel give you a pleasant surprise ( after a shocker the previous week ) eg The Swans game last week - and the Gold Coast huge win after the debacle against Ess

Hopefully there is another pleasant surprise tonight

But 2 weeks ago Geel couldnt beat Footscray - yet Hawthorn totally destroyed the Dogs - totally outclassed them - watching that 2nd half - i thought Geel couldnt beat this rabble
and that's football. Those anomalies have been happening since the game started.

even Carlton had a win this year ............

I’d play Danger in the middle most of the night, have Gaz playing wing/half forward, with Menzel back doing his thing in the forward line.

This is a huge game, must win, just MUST!!

Exactly right. Pin point entries into the F50 make us look so much more dangerous. Whether it's Tommy (I wish he could kick into the F50 to a clone of himself!), or Ablett, or Duncan. Anything but wild, long bombs!

I am stuffed if I can see any difference between the early retirements of Tippett and Rioli.
As I understand it, in both cases any retirement payout will spill into their salary cap for next year, but not any foregone salary they would have received; yet the AFL has said Tippett will continue to take up a spot on his club's list, whereas Rioli won't.
Both retired during this years season/after final list lodgement. They must count to this years cap. I assume both will come off next year.

Exactly right. Pin point entries into the F50 make us look so much more dangerous. Whether it's Tommy (I wish he could kick into the F50 to a clone of himself!), or Ablett, or Duncan. Anything but wild, long bombs!

Didn't Adelaide score something like 15-16 goals off turnovers in the Prelim final last year? If we tidy up our disposal tonight we're a huge chance!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we’re going to get a big one from Menzel tonight, after a scintillating start to the season he experienced an incredibly unlucky injury in a career full of unlucky injuries, now he’s cherry ripe and playing in his hometown in front of family and friends. He’ll kick 6.

Especially as his last effort there was appalling.....in front of family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You mean they brought forward his payment? One report I heard said an arrangement had been agreed to.
Pure speculation, but could it be something like moving his player payments to coaching/staffing payments & say that he is now their NT player scout?

Pure speculation, but could it be something like moving his player payments to coaching/staffing payments & say that he is now their NT player scout?
I don't think it can be done, it's on how it was allocated at the start of the season.

Swans back 6 is a very good unit.

WE kicked 6.23 last week.

WE have added Menzel and lost Murda.

Crows are missing Talia and IMO their MF is not the level of the Swans.

WE can do this - play hard at the ball, get it first and kick straight. Get over them and keep the crowd down early.

And no mental holidays at all.

Get it done Geelong.
Your time starts.....

Now.

Go Catters

I can’t see how else cap space is created.
The cap space is created because he is not going to be paid the contracted $1.3 to $1.4m for 2019-2020; this year's contracted amt is included, plus, for 2019-20, any agreed retirement payout he receives now, but not the full $1.3-4m. That's clear enough, that's what happened with Tippett as well.
What's different, as I understand it, is that Tippett continued to take up a list spot for the rest of his contracted period, but Rioli apparently doesn't, and I can't understand why there's a difference.

Suspect Cyril isn’t going to be paid and if you’re not paid there’s nothing to include in the cap.

Carey on mmm was saying the club is negotiating a payout.

2 ordinary INS for us, probably team balance
Sloane IN is huge. Betts back. Will be noisy and painful for Geelong.
Second away trip in a week. Tough ask
We do play well there, but this is Adelaide's season on the line. More so than ours.
Still can't see any semblance of a settled finals like list of 22 that we can rely on.

Sloane played last week. Or are you talking about his contract?

Don’t mind either of them, but given our relatively small injury list, am surprised we have got into a situation where Buzza and Simpson are needed for such a crucial game.

Cunico has really upset someone....

Im more shocked that GHS isnt getting a game, 42 possies in the VFL obviously not enough, surely gone at the end of the season.

If Danger plays in the middle you wont get anything resembling this, his kicking is atrocious!!!

The cap space is created because he is not going to be paid the contracted $1.3 to $1.4m for 2019-2020; this year's contracted amt is included, plus, for 2019-20, any agreed retirement payout he receives now, but not the full $1.3-4m. That's clear enough, that's what happened with Tippett as well.
What's different, as I understand it, is that Tippett continued to take up a list spot for the rest of his contracted period, but Rioli apparently doesn't, and I can't understand why there's a difference.
That’s using more words to say what I said in my other post. :D

Why are you talking about this in the gameday thread? Take it to the contracts thread.

Liked this stat on the AFL website....

2. The Cats are the best defensive team in the competition, conceding just 69 points per game. That will make life tougher for the Crows, who have scored an average of just 63 points per game since round 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back