List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting name Fettt are you a Star Wars fan?

It's a grouse house have fun! Watch out for our resident rabid cat..
No long story short the avatar is Dennis Hopper as a character named Feck in a great lil depressing indie movie from the 90's called Rivers Edge. Thought his name was Fet for a long time, so stuck with it. Dennis was great in that film. RIP. So no its nothing to do with Boba

So after one of the worst years by any team in living memory, the AFL's big helping hand was we could sign 2 mature age players for free on our main list or trade to other teams' main lists.

And then fast forward a month and ANY team can recruit mature age players carte blanche on their rookie lists?

What the actual F?

We are lucky the AFL didn’t announce this earlier.

If Geelong and Adelaide knew this was an option it would have been a bad outcome for us.

Well, the McGovern and Setterfield deals, just got better

Crows and Cats, could have taken those players as Cat A, rather than give up picks, or having them as part of the deal
State league players still have to deal with all three drafts if they've nominated any time in the last 3 years. It's only players delisted in the last 23 months that qualify to skip all the drafts.

It's not unreasonable to assume they were aware.

We're 24 hours away from closing the 2nd DFA window.

It would be absurd for the AFL to drop this on the clubs now. Any club that has signed a DFA onto their main list heretofore would be seething.

There have been very few DFA signings this year. Lots of talk of recycling players in the rookie draft...

Put 2 + 2 together and you get.... the AFL's IQ
The clubs will have known the basic details for some time.

So whats the washup if Rioli decides to make a comeback ?
Hawthorn can just take him without him having to go through any draft ?

Correct

I believe he can this year as well, as a DFA, on a main list.

If he nominates for the ND and is overlooked, he can be added as a DFA on the rookie list
Cyril never signed the form that declares him retired. Right now, he is a delisted free agent, and he can simply not nominate for the draft and be signed to a rookie list. The only query is whether he is considered out-of-bounds for being signed to Hawthorn's rookie list as they have only just delisted him. I get the impression that he is still eligible for them under this method as we're moving from the 2018 season to the 2019 pre-season.

At least now we know why clubs are freely delisting contracted players from their senior lists: because they don't even need to deal with the drafting process. Personally I am stunned as to why we are not doing the same.

That said, Carlton becoming active in such a process could lead to my nightmare scenario: we bring Lamb, White, Graham and Rowe back onto the list.

I was really surprised at the time as to how little compensation we received for the state league trades, considering some of the gems picked up in recent years and what they have shown and their potential current value (Kelly 1st round pick if WCE had one, L.Ryan and W.Rioli must surely be worth close to late 1st round/early second) but we got virtually a half eaten kebab in return... surely some other clubs were not privy to this rule change before it happened?
When we got the compensation, we had a look here on the board at who would likely be good candidates for the picks, and what that had looked like in the past.

I and a couple of others pointed out that some years, the best mature age choices had often been 19 and 20 year olds, and that Kelly was highly exceptional (which made the AFL's decision all the more puzzling, and something that seemed favourable to Geelong given their recent recruitment history and their ex-FD head now being the AFL's Footy Ops manager).

Sure enough, a day later, the AFL 'clarified' that anyone who had made an appearance at the national championships this year was ineligible, putting a line through 3 or 4 players more coveted than Kreuger (Briggs and McFadyen, for example).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's what I really believe will happen (or be close)

Pick One: Sam Walsh
Pick 69: Draftee
Pick 71: Mason Blakey (21 Years Old next year)
DFA: Hugh Goddard (23 Years Old)

Rookie One: Draftee
Rookie Two: Ben Silvagni
Rookie Three: Will Hickmott or Sam Fisher (21 Years Old) or Jed Lamb (27 Years Old)
I’d be so disappointed by this. 71 should be a draftee, look at our phantom draft and particularly some of the players I took for west coast at the end. There’s some great talent that is going to fall due to choosing school footy or an injury plagued year. We should only be taking 2 of blakey, Bsos, Lamb, Goddard, Fisher, Hickmott

There's not much else to talk about.

Trying to guess who we'll take with picks in the 70's is both difficult and not very interesting.
Same with the rookie draft.
Boys have only just started training again, so it'll be a while before we get some interesting track reports.
Captaincy has been locked down.
Coaches are all in place.

So given keeping Pick 1 = taking Sam Walsh, tradye hypotheticals to move down the order and add some more picks is about all we've got as far as more expansive footy talk goes.

See. I just spent 5 minutes crafting an elaborate post detailing how little there is to talk about. This is what we've been reduced to.

Spot on and I appreciate your efforts to keep the discussion going.

Copied over from the no discussion thread.

According to Matt Balmer from Fox Sports...

I think they will take 3 picks in the draft. Walsh, someone and Silvagni. Think they've got their eyes on a Vic Country lad

#Bluemour

Would love to know who Matt is talking about here.

Looking at the Vic Country list there are a whole lot of names who have been mentioned late in mock drafts.

Will Hamill
Laitham Vandermeer
Zac Foot
Tom Berry
Mitchell Riordan
Sam Fletcher
Matthew McGannon
Charlie Sprague
Hudson Garoni
Riley Bowman
Connor Idun

Thoughts Arr0w ?

Looking at the Vic Country list there are a whole lot of names who have been mentioned late in mock drafts.

Will Hamill
Laitham Vandermeer
Zac Foot
Tom Berry
Mitchell Riordan
Sam Fletcher
Matthew McGannon
Charlie Sprague
Hudson Garoni
Riley Bowman
Connor Idun

Thoughts Arr0w ?

Don't suppose you can pad out their player types for those of us out and about?

Will Hamill
Laitham Vandermeer
Zac Foot
Tom Berry
Mitchell Riordan
Sam Fletcher
Matthew McGannon
Charlie Sprague
Hudson Garoni
Riley Bowman
Connor Idun

Thoughts Arr0w ?
Will Hamill 40-late
Laitham Vandermeer late-rookie
Zac Foot 50-late
Tom Berry late-rookie
Mitchell Riordan late-rookie
Sam Fletcher 50-late
Matthew McGannon 60-rookie
Charlie Sprague rookie
Hudson Garoni rookie
Riley Bowman late-rookie
Connor Idun rookie

Don't rule us out of trading in for Williams or Reid in the 25-50 range.

EDIT: Bowman is probably a late selection chance in the ND; amended.

Don't suppose you can pad out their player types for those of us out and about?
Hamill, McGannon, Fletcher and Riordan are the ones you'll want to take a look at. The former three all have videos up on the draft machine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back