Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been calling for Cunners to be played in the front half for ages - looks like we may see him get an extended run there (pending fitness). Outstanding. May take a few games to click for him, but I'm gonna pencil him in for a bag sometime this season, has the makings of a player who can take the game away from the opposition in a quarter.
Someone needs to tell me why Cuningham isn’t the next Josh Thomas. Or better.

While I don't have him as best 22, given his injuries think that is a harsh statement Terry

Harsh? Maybe.

Depends if he improves i suppose. Just don't see it with him. I did actually like him as a draft prospect and was happy enough to take him where we did. But i just don't like what i've seen since.

I reckon he's a favorite of the "hopers" but there aint much substance there.

Harsh? Maybe.

Depends if he improves i suppose. Just don't see it with him. I did actually like him as a draft prospect and was happy enough to take him where we did. But i just don't like what i've seen since.

I reckon he's a favorite of the "hopers" but there aint much substance there.

In his draft year, I mentioned that I would have preferred Ryan Clarke, but he hasn't really gone on either.

DC has the skill set, but really does lack footy IQ. Hopefully with some continuity we will get a better understanding where he fits in the scheme

I get what you are saying, but the clean gather, side step and left foot finish is far from bog ordinary.

I'd reserve bog ordinary for players who don't have any AFL qualities. Cuningham has many, he just doesnt yet know how to put them together.

Happy to bookmark that one.

One's who have no AFL qualities don't get on AFL lists. Everyone on a list has AFL qualities.

The ones who can apply multiple qualities in AFL games make it. The ones who can't/don't are bog ordinary by AFL standards.

I have nothing against Cunners, just stating an opinion on him. Needless to say i hope it's wrong, but......

One's who have no AFL qualities don't get on AFL lists. Everyone on a list has AFL qualities.

The ones who can apply multiple qualities in AFL games make it. The ones who can't/don't are bog ordinary by AFL standards.

I have nothing against Cunners, just stating an opinion on him. Needless to say i hope it's wrong, but......

First point is arguable, I've seen some players come through the club who had no business being on an AFL list, sadly.

Gonna be interesting to watch because his speed and clean skills would make a difference to our team.

First point is arguable, I've seen some players come through the club who had no business being on an AFL list, sadly.

Gonna be interesting to watch because his speed and clean skills would make a difference to our team.

Let's not bring up Wayno n Shaneo again please:)

And yeah, i've said before and no doubt will be saying it all year, for a footy lovin' Carlton supporter years don't get any more interesting than this year will be. I can't wait.

Not a reference to Terry Wallet personally, but his post just reminded me of something I often wonder.

I wonder what proportion of people with strongly-stated views (may be actually strong views, or just views expressed strongly) who say they hope they are wrong, actually would be happy to be wrong. Certainly some people I know IRL who say they hope they are wrong wouldn't admit in a pink fit that they'd been proven wrong, but a lot genuinely are happy to be better informed.

Anyway, something I do get curious about with the posters here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a reference to Terry Wallet personally, but his post just reminded me of something I often wonder.

I wonder what proportion of people with strongly-stated views (may be actually strong views, or just views expressed strongly) who say they hope they are wrong, actually would be happy to be wrong. Certainly some people I know IRL who say they hope they are wrong wouldn't admit in a pink fit that they'd been proven wrong, but a lot genuinely are happy to be better informed.

Anyway, something I do get curious about with the posters here.

Nobody enjoys being wrong, on the internet even more than irl lol, but everyone is at times wrong.

If you are an honest opinion giver here (not the trolls) it is no fun giving negative opinions because the result you actually want will give you egg on your face.

Never the less, i like giving my 2 bob opinions now and then. Good, bad and ugly.

Nobody enjoys being wrong, on the internet even more than irl lol, but everyone is at times wrong.
If you are an honest opinion giver here (not the trolls) it is no fun giving negative opinions because the result you actually want will give you egg on your face.
Never the less, i like giving my 2 bob opinions now and then. Good, bad and ugly.

Not exactly true when it comes to your football team, or even irl, if knowledge is to be gained from it.
It's a shame if ego gets ahead of what's best for the team one supports though and one begrudges a player for doing well because one may be 'showed up'

Re. Cuningham: Very few would have had him in their best 22 before injuries took hold, but he does have 'assets' that can make us better.
Always a touch and go player to me and somewhat distant yet interesting and intriguing.
He does look to be closer to the group this year (as I remarked via training reports) than he has in past years.
What that amounts to though.....we'll see.

Not exactly true when it comes to your football team, or even irl, if knowledge is to be gained from it.
It's a shame if ego gets ahead of what's best for the team one supports though and one begrudges a player for doing well because one may be 'showed up'

Re. Cuningham: Very few would have had him in their best 22 before injuries took hold, but he does have 'assets' that can make us better.
Always a touch and go player to me and somewhat distant yet interesting and intriguing.
He does look to be closer to the group this year (as I remarked via training reports) than he has in past years.

BS, there are and have and still are Cuner's backers here. He has the bloody talent, just when put to the test was found wanting which is why, I, questioned his drive/motivation.

Everything about this kid when I looked at him screamed … look at me … I can deliver. Just looked lost.

Cunners is a strange one but I still feel he is dead wood on our list that we are slowly letting drift free.

He is not alone either but gee our number of players in this department is dropping rapidly and that is a great sign. Few years ago we had 10+ easily and now it is under 4.

Yikes, we're calling the guy who was top 5 in my bests (albeit in a praccy) dead wood. That hurts.
Proper season will say more but I have my doubts.

Would be ecstatic to be proven wrong as well.

It really is an if, then situation with Cunners.

If he produces consistently then he walks into the the best 22. Unlike most he has the capability to be a difference maker.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No guarantee Cuningham will make it but he's not bog ordinary. Bog ordinary is Graham or Temay etc.

Cuningham has highlights at VFL and AFL level, Graham's only highlight (and I don't want to sound mean) was that shepherd about 4 years ago.

Cuninghams only issue is he doesn't get it enough, if he gets it 20-25 times a game....look the * out!!!

Hypothetically, what would have happened if the McGovern deal had have fell through, and we kept our draft picks and access to a State League Player, which we traded.

Of course we traded two 2nd rounders to the Swans to get a first rounder, which was part of the deal. If that deal didn't happen in order to secure McGovern, we had picks 26 and 28...which would have slid down a few rungs in the ND as clubs access academy players etc early in the draft.

We had 4 picks in the ND, so with trades etc, it ended up being:

Mitch McGovern (trade)
Will Setterfield (trade)
Nic Newman (trade)
Fas (FA)
Sam Walsh (ND)
Liam Stocker (ND)
Finbar (? - ND)
BSOS (For/Def - ND)

Without the trade, it may have looked like a bit like this:

Will Setterfield (trade)
Nic Newman (trade)
Fas (FA)
Shane McAdam (State League)
Sam Walsh (ND)
Liam Stocker (ND)
Luke Valente (mid - ND)
Bailey Williams (ruck - ND)

Just interesting to speculate how our list profile may have looked without the trade.

Hypothetically, what would have happened if the McGovern deal had have fell through, and we kept our draft picks and access to a State League Player, which we traded.

Of course we traded two 2nd rounders to the Swans to get a first rounder, which was part of the deal. If that deal didn't happen in order to secure McGovern, we had picks 26 and 28...which would have slid down a few rungs in the ND as clubs access academy players etc early in the draft.

Mitch McGovern (trade)
Will Setterfield (trade)
Nic Newman (trade)
Fas (FA)
Sam Walsh (ND)
Liam Stocker (ND)
Finbar (? - ND)
BSOS (For/Def - ND)

Will Setterfield (trade)
Nic Newman (trade)
Fas (FA)
Sam Walsh (ND)
Liam Stocker (ND)
Luke Valente (mid - ND)

Just interesting to speculate how our list profile may have looked without the trade.

Just remember Adelaide had to part with two third round selections as part of the McGovern deal.

I reckon our draft/trade period would have gone:

1. Trade picks 26,28 and Kreuger compensation for pick 13.
2. Setterfield deal gets done for future second. Maybe a swap of future third round selections as well.
3. Recruit Shane McAdam with compensation pick.
4. Trade fourth round selection for Newman.
5. Draft Walsh with pick 1.
6. Draft Stocker with pick 13.

Mitch McGovern (trade)
Will Setterfield (trade)
Nic Newman (trade)
Fas (FA)
Sam Walsh (ND)
Liam Stocker (ND)
Finbar (? - ND)
BSOS (For/Def - ND)

Will Setterfield (trade)
Nic Newman (trade)
Fas (FA)
Sam Walsh (ND)
Liam Stocker (ND)
Luke Valente (mid - ND)

I don't think we would have retained our second round selections.

Sounds like we knew Stocker was likely to be available around the back end of the first round.

If we really rated him at #6 in the draft, you would try and make the move up the draft order every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back