Preview Round 1 2019: Adelaide vs Hawthorn, AO,Saturday 23rd of March 4:35 P.M.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindering his development? He's 25 this year, he's not the future or some kid who needs to develop any more, he's part of the same rotation as every other defender we've got. Mirra is 28. It's not like we're playing a 31 year old over a 22 year old or something.

This is a really good point. I'm all for giving kids a chance where appropriate but that doesn't mean you just chuck in a younger player because they're young. Brand is an established defender in our squad at this point who I'd be looking to play 10-15 games if possible. If he kills it then he may play more, if not he may play less but he's not at the 'get games into him' stage of his career - he's more of the defensive equivalent of Schoenmakers.

I think you might be onto something here. I wouldn't be surprised if Big Boy rotated back to play on Walker. Wasn't it reported that it looked like he'd lost a bit weight in the offseason and was looking really trim?

Almost everybody seems to have lost weight. Worpel actually looks haggard. This is one of my great concerns.

Watching Richmond and Carlton last night both teams seem to be bigger all over the ground than us.

Is it really necessary for us to slim down to provide extra run. I believe that strength is now almost as important as aerobic ability.

Hope I'm wrong. Probably am.

Almost everybody seems to have lost weight. Worpel actually looks haggard. This is one of my great concerns.

Watching Richmond and Carlton last night both teams seem to be bigger all over the ground than us.

Is it really necessary for us to slim down to provide extra run. I believe that strength is now almost as important as aerobic ability.

I'm not so worried about Worpel. The way he threw Houli around like a rag doll the other night was pretty darn cool.:p

120 minutes with less rotations x 25 games a season over what could be an 8-12 year career.

We have always taken an approach which favours the long-term, as much as I'd like our boys to bulk up I have faith in our system.

Think you're grossly over-reacting, Lord of the Fries.

I'm not so worried about Worpel. The way he threw Houli around like a rag doll the other night was pretty darn cool.:p

Yes, that was good to watch but I would still like to see a couple more Ks on him. With even more strength he could be anything.

I am probably wrong here but I can't help thinking that he is being fast forwarded and losing weight is part of that process.

I'm old fashioned. I like to see players with multiple attributes and strength is one of them. Reduced interchange means players tire in the last quarter and it is then that strength, and to some extent size, comes to the forefront.

Our game is one of the few that provide opportunities for the full range of body construction from bean poles to short asses. Within that framework certain attributes are required.

I often felt that, when I was playing at full forward for example, dead weight was an advantage in taking pack marks.

Of course the game has moved on a long way from then (thank goodness) but strength, power and size are still just as important as aerobic ability.

Yes, that was good to watch but I would still like to see a couple more Ks on him. With even more strength he could be anything.

I am probably wrong here but I can't help thinking that he is being fast forwarded and losing weight is part of that process.

I'm old fashioned. I like to see players with multiple attributes and strength is one of them. Reduced interchange means players tire in the last quarter and it is then that strength, and to some extent size, comes to the forefront.

Our game is one of the few that provide opportunities for the full range of body construction from bean poles to short asses. Within that framework certain attributes are required.

I often felt that, when I was playing at full forward for example, dead weight was an advantage in taking pack marks.

Of course the game has moved on a long way from then (thank goodness) but strength, power and size are still just as important as aerobic ability.
Due to the simple fact the game isn’t so contact heavy like it used to be I’m not too concerned about weight on our players. Worpel’s knock was his speed so the loss of a couple of kgs will be a good thing. Also players do add weight during the season and everyone is different too.

Just went for a stroll down Rundle Mall wearing my Hawks 2019 member lanyard on my lunch break. Copped some absolute filthy comments from Crows nuffies. I'm a poo and wee covered stinkthorn supporting traitor to south australia. Good luck to the fly-ins who want to stroll the mall in their hawthorn gear :p

As a pick 66 all of 7 years ago, he's hardly a natural forward either.

There's as little upside to throwing Brand forward as there is to persisting with Schoenmakers and O'Brien there at this point.

Thankfully, our coaching staff aren't going to come out and make an awful decision like that, so the whole debate is pointless.

The selection with which he was drafted is irrelevant, if anything as a club we've more than proved that.

You might not agree and that's fine, but there's no way of being sure it'd be a bust if we don't try him out.

Like I said, he was drafted as a forward and while he's relatively unproven, he certainly did show potential prior to getting drafted.

https://m.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2012-11-22/hawks-select-kaiden-brand https://m.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2012-11-22/pick-66-kaiden-brand-highlights

Make of it what you will, but I just think that he and Mitchell Lewis could end up making a half decent forward combination if given the chance.

I could also be totally wrong, but at least if I am, then I wouldn't be floggish about it like some people.

If we're experimenting/developing anyone as a key forward , its Mitch Lewis. I understand not playing him first up in hostile territory against a full strength crows outfit though

I think pair the boys up and let them both loose.

They would certainly stretch opposition defenses and also allow Roughie to get off the leash, perhaps even be played elsewhere.

Clarko: Gunston’s on the plane, and as long as he gets through our captain’s run this afternoon, he’ll play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more, even with the games style in general reverting back to a contested/crash and bash style, we're still turning our players into greyhounds.

I thought that perhaps with Luke Boyd taking over things may change, however it doesn't seem that way.

We need to be getting them to put on a couple of kilos and shredding up as opposed to losing a few and in turn, losing their strength.

Why on earth we would make players like Worpel who is a beast lose weight is baffling, then there's also the fact we've done the same with Wingard who is already a small bloke.

Anyway, obviously they're the experts and know what their doing, let's just wait and see how things go.

Last edited:
I love the idea of reinventing Brand as a forward. Will be wearing different colours next year imo.

It wouldn't even really be reinventing him because he was initially a forward anyway.

We're screaming out for another forward and he could very well be right there under our noses.

I totally agree about him possibly being elsewhere at the end of season, if he doesn't get regular game time.

What are the chances that he does leave and his new club play him forward?

I would totally laugh my backside off.

Just went for a stroll down Rundle Mall wearing my Hawks 2019 member lanyard on my lunch break. Copped some absolute filthy comments from Crows nuffies. I'm a poo and wee covered stinkthorn supporting traitor to south australia. Good luck to the fly-ins who want to stroll the mall in their hawthorn gear :p
They must have felt you were an easy target. ;)

Whereas I've worn my Hawthorn cap all day so far & have not got more than a quick glance.

Bring on tomorrow.

Not sure what to expect from us this season.

Frawley & Mirra in key defensive positions makes me nervous.

Expecting the crows to be good this year they did play off in a gf just 2 years ago.
Again Mirra is not in a key defensive post it's captain Stratts. You don't honestly think Mires will go to Tex?, for a few minutes on rotation maybe. Stratts will be in his pocket all night.

Cripps looked like an absolute colossus out there. We need Howe back for some midfield size

As much as I like Sicily, he's very inconsistent as a forward.

However as a defender, he's truly going to be elite and a chance for the AA side.

Leave him where he is and trial Brand up forward.

He's a natural forward and if we've persisted with TOB for this long, then the least we could do is give Brand the same opportunity.

Like I said, I think he would surprise a few if given the opportunity.

What have we got to lose anyway?

Spot on! I do agree with what your saying. Sicily is very lazy up forward he running patterns and he is a star down back,
we need to clone him in a ideal world!

But the other side of the argument is that's the easiet position on The field.
C.H.F is the hardest let's put our best spine player there.
The biggest problem is teams are almost daring us to kick long down the line, or high into our 50 they just intercept mark it and kills us on the rebound.

I can't see Brand doing much against the best chb in the comp they will just peel off and do what they like.
But its worth a shot once.

Gunston up forward and Sicily in defense is what I want to see.

The McEvoy and Ceglar ruck combo has worked reasonably well since 2014 when they’ve played together. No reason as to why it won’t continue to be effective this year provided Ceglar stays fit.

Last edited:
This period between selection and the first siren is the most humourous on these boards. With no insight into game plan, training outcomes, fitness objectives, team chemistry or any other relevant measure, posters question the selection committee. And treat the committee as a virtual pack of dunces for whatever decisions were made.

I’m not saying that no one is entitled to question the committee, but doing so with such certainty and with literally about 1% of the information which the committee considers puts a smile on my face every week. Quite humourous.

Cl
Cripps looked like an absolute colossus out there. We need Howe back for some midfield size
We have been lambasted for being slow for years, Clarko wants his side agile, quick and skillful. The tigers are the benchmark here not sure why anyone can't see this. Yes they have big boys in the midfield but I'd argue Dusty isn't as big as he has been in the past likewise Cotchin. They rely on speed and quick transition.

The new 6/6/6 rules are going to make the game more suited to endurance athletes. Being able to use explosive pace out of the middle and being able to run quickly to fill space is going to be a priority hence the slimming down of player and most likely recruiting of Scully. Clarko is always one step ahead of the pack.

Expect Jaegar to dominate out of the middle this year if he stays fit.....the space provided by the zones are suited to a player of his explosive ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back