Votes: 50 22.6%
  • Jason Castagna

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

every cloud has a silver lining, without our injuries stack, bolton and balta wouldn't have received as many games. as our stars are getting older, I worried about where our next stars would come from. I know it is too early to call, but I can't remember a time when we had 3 new player with so much raw talent. stack and bolton were great in the middle part of the game and the last quarter from balta was raw, but where in the league is there a 2nd ruck with that speed and ability on his left or right foot. if they keep going, its going to quite a ride for us supporters going forward.

Balta would do most 2nd rucks for speed, but they would be getting more of the ball. Preuss definitely. The saints are just playing the 1 ruck, Marshall who got lost the hit outs to Gawn/Preuss but saints win the game by 40! are just playing with 1 ruck, Bombers sometimes 1 sometimes 2, Mumford beat Lobb 40 to 20 hit outs but Dockers win well.

Hardwick on Prestia “He’s just growing in stature...” lol.
How tall is he now ?

This will no doubt be unpopular, but wait, hear me out.
I'd give Lynch a rest this Wednesday and bring Jack R in.
One tall and Balta as a floater seems to be working well for us at the moment.
I reckon Tom could do with a rest being such a short turnaround.
I reckon Stack might be out. He would have pulled up sore after that hit.

Whilst i dont want to see Lynch dropped,I can understand giving him a week off for 'Resting his Knee' management reason

How tall is he now ?

Whilst i dont want to see Lynch dropped,I can understand giving him a week off for 'Resting his Knee' management reason
I think the term these days is 'managed'.
I just reckon if Jack is right, there is no pressing need to run Lynch into the ground with a four day turn around.

I think the term these days is 'managed'.
I just reckon if Jack is right, there is no pressing need to run Lynch into the ground with a four day turn around.

Only if 100% necessary. Dees have stuff all key backs at the moment and Jack and Lynch playing will stretch them massively.

Only if 100% necessary. Dees have stuff all key backs at the moment and Jack and Lynch playing will stretch them massively.
Fair call.

Depends also how much territory they want Lynch to cover if Jack R returns.
If less running then Lynch would be okay in tandem.
Rioli and Stack looked sore.
Would like to see Ross target Oliver, he is their best player by a country mile.
Tom McD had two ankle surgeries, probably a decoy forward.
Grimes must play on Melksham.

Won’t be “Managing” anyone this week - best team for big Occassion and after short turn around big stretch to freshening up until next game after Melbtank.

Unless 100 give Cotch the extra

Jack back in - for me despite 8 tackles and a goal - Castagna ....

Naish should be looking at BEllis position saying it is his too ....

Agree. Dees are being scored against so easily at the moment, they'll be inclined to move Tom McDonald back, leaving them to manufacture a forward line that so far this season has barely fired a shot.

My thoughts after watching the replay;

- we held our structure better than last week which a pleasing sign. Allowed a few to many easy moves into the corridor, but these were relatively shallow and credit to our back and definitely our forwards who came up and pressured and allowed us to recover well. Considering a quarter of our list had played less than 15 games it’s a great sign.
- with youth often comes a lack of polish which probably saw a few great forays forward end in either turnovers or not maximising our opportunities. Cotchin and Riewoldt will help this is in some regards, but a clear area to improve in.
- we all want to try and pick the best team in the comp and the grand finalists this early in the year, but every team every season is on a journey. For us, losing against Collingwood the way we did was a wake up call for our required style of play. Then the injuries allowed us to blood some of these young guys. Moving Shedda back, moving Ellis to a traditional wing position and adding Sydney Stack has probably increased the toughness and creativity in the back six, and over the course of the year I can see us changing our style slightly to accommodate this. This will be hugely important for us moving forward.
- speaking of Stack, to re-staying what has been said. Toughness, composure and creativity. You don’t see that with first year players in game three. Going to be a squad changer.
- then there’s Ross. Think the style of game didn’t suit his best attributes when playing alongside Dusty and Prestia at Marvel. Not as many real stoppages. Still though, calm and composed. Thought it was a smart move to put him on Kennedy from about Q2 onwards. Ross is the best first year player I’ve seen (regardless of club) at being able to utilise his body at stoppages to create time and space. Kennedy May well be the best in the comp. A few times he taught Ross a bit of a lesson; and that’s only s good thing for his development.
- Onto Higgo. The further away from goal, the less creativity - which is understandable. Think he plays to true to the game plan and tries to get the ball forward and quickly; often rushed. Don’t think dropping him will help that at all, just has to keep playing that role and it’ll come. It also got him involved in more than a few scoring chains. See both Martin and Lambert’s second goals.
- credit to BEllis. Moved to more of a wing but unlike years passed where he ran up and down the wing away from the contest gathering uncontested possession after uncontested possession, he seems to be a few feet from the contest and is used as an outlet guy. Credit to the coach in staff for that change, but also Ellis himself. Is taking first option most times and not getting himself caught in a panic stricken scenarios. Could be a three way fight at this stage between Ellis, Ross and Graham for when Cotchin comes back in; and I’m not sure who would be in the best position (we all know my love for Jack Graham)
- Bolton was also very creative. Two weeks in a row we’be seen the flash, but his game has more frills. Plays in a similar vein to Castagna as a player who is good in the air. Wonder whether at some point it’ll come down to those two players as to whom will stay in the team. Baker is a different sort, And is a playing a role similar to Lambo at the start of his career. Would expect one of these three make way for Riewoldt. I would drop Castagna, but think it will be Bolton.
- Lastly, Balta. Getting more and more involved in games, having an x-factor like impact. I’m happy we have got a slab of games into him, and he has improved in every one. Not best 22 for mine right now, but has every chance to be come round 23 and Finals and so stays for now. His endurance is an issue and may make way if sore/ requires a rest. Exciting times.

All in all, we faded late due to youth + quicker game than usual and probably some self-preservation. Good to see we managed ourselves when we got 5 goals up, switched back into gear when required in the last quarter when the Swans got close and ran out with the win. Sydney will be better in the back half of the year imo, so to get a good win against them early without three of our four best players is a great result, regardless of whether we entered as favourites or not.

Out: Castagna
In: Riewoldt.

Stretch the Dees’ undersized backline and bring the pressure and speed that Melbourne haven’t been able to combat at any stage this year.

Won’t be “Managing” anyone this week - best team for big Occassion and after short turn around big stretch to freshening up until next game after Melbtank.

Unless 100 give Cotch the extra

Jack back in - for me despite 8 tackles and a goal - Castagna ....

Naish should be looking at BEllis position saying it is his too ....

Sorry mate, are you saying we should drop Ellis for Naish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t wanna drop any of the young bloods for Jack, but someone will pull up sore.

Caddy makes us so much better, the though of him/Dusty, Jack, and Lynch with our smalls up forward makes me wet

This will no doubt be unpopular, but wait, hear me out.
I'd give Lynch a rest this Wednesday and bring Jack R in.
One tall and Balta as a floater seems to be working well for us at the moment.
I reckon Tom could do with a rest being such a short turnaround.
I reckon Stack might be out. He would have pulled up sore after that hit.
Tugga, good call. Lynch looked a little tired last night and would benefit from a break after being the main target, while still a little underdone, for 3 tough weeks in a row. Balta is better with every game and must keep playing to give Nank a rest. Similarly, Stack got crunched + has been working overtime for the last few weeks. A rest for him makes sense but I love the man and would like nothing more than to see him line up for the rest of the year.

I'd love:

Out: Lynch (managed)
In: Riewoldt

As it gives big Thomas essentially 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So i recorded the C7 telecast last night and re-watched after getting home, in the pre-match Brayshaw is interviewing Cotch and they talk about our injuries.

Brayshaw: you have been blessed in the last couple years and now you have FINALLY got some injuries.

What the * is the media's problem, wishing injuries on a club because you can't hack it that they kept their stars on the field.

Never heard this bullshit from the media while the cats, hawks, swans kept their stars on the field.

Sorry mate, are you saying we should drop Ellis for Naish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not yet - not on recent form - but I think that is what Naish should be looking at and I’ll think we’ll eventually be better for it - i still lack confidence with the ball in BEllis hand and think Naish has shown some run and carry and got kicking that will work at senior level. BEllis still loses his opponent to much on occasions ....

So i recorded the C7 telecast last night and re-watched after getting home, in the pre-match Brayshaw is interviewing Cotch and they talk about our injuries.

Brayshaw: you have been blessed in the last couple years and now you have FINALLY got some injuries.

What the **** is the media's problem, wishing injuries on a club because you can't hack it that they kept their stars on the field.

Never heard this bullshit from the media while the cats, hawks, swans kept their stars on the field.
Can you go back and clarify what Cotch said about his return?

For all the people calling for Castagna to get dropped, did you guys actually watch the game properly?? You all clearly just notice his mistakes.
His tackling and pressure acts are elite!! He was frenetic last night, 2,3,4 efforts. Zero chance he gets dropped and doesn’t deserve to..
His skills and decision making will improve as confidence grows

For all the people calling for Castagna to get dropped, did you guys actually watch the game properly?? You all clearly just notice his mistakes.
His tackling and pressure acts are elite!! He was frenetic last night, 2,3,4 efforts. Zero chance he gets dropped and doesn’t deserve to..
His skills and decision making will improve as confidence grows
You’re right , I’m guilty at times of over,looking his good stuff for a couple of stuff ups , heck sheds and dusty made a couple of blunders too . If good outweighs bad then you’ve contributed , was highest pressure points last night ,coaches would love it

We currently have two elite full forwards and are working our way towards the most effective way of combining their ability on the field. I'm old enough to remember the time when we had three - Michael Roach, Mark Jackson and Brian Taylor. It was quickly apparent that three were two too many so Mark Jackson was offloaded. That left us with Taylor and Roach. Roach was the athlete of the two so it was decided that the lumbering BT play from the goal square and Disco play a roaming role. It was a sensible approach in principle but it ultimately failed because the best FF was played out of position to accommodate the limitations of a second contender for that role.

Now in 2019, we are in a very different position. We have two high performing athletes who are game smart as well as unselfish team players. Each can dominate the traditional full forward position but also provide significant contributions higher in the field. It's early in the process but I'm inclined to use Lynch in Jack's old role and let Jack play a sort of point guard role in an arc about 20 metres outside the 50 metre line. It would relieve Jack of much of the body collision stuff he's been subjected to in recent years and give him the freedom to also direct our mids in bringing the ball into our high scoring zone. Jack and Lynch would rotate out of the square pretty much as Jack decides with Lynch moving out to a wing to provide a new nightmare for opposition coaches. They would remain scoring options but without getting in each other's way if they were both played deep in attack. Just a thought.

Back