News Tom Jonas sole captain for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

So will the club now expressly acknowledge co-captains didn’t work? Doubtful

I fully expect some PR spin about how it worked great last year but this is our 150th and we ought to honour tradition.

It would be the same as Marshall and Turnbull coming out saying they got it wrong blaming the 2016 storms on renewables......

The narrative will be we are listening to the members - and membership is down so we have ‘listened’ to the data.....

So will the club now expressly acknowledge co-captains didn’t work? Doubtful

I fully expect some PR spin about how it worked great last year but this is our 150th and we ought to honour tradition.

I doubt it. They cannot even admit re-signing Ken was a mistake, which will cost the club millions over the coming years.

I doubt it. They cannot even admit re-signing Ken was a mistake, which will cost the club millions over the coming years.

They could however come out and announce a "succession plan". For example announce Schofield is to take over as senior coach at the end of Hinkleys current contract. That would see a lot of members stay on who where otherwise going and may see a few thousand re join.

Succession plan would be pointless BS that allows a delayed Hinkley decision and ’stability’ so its definitely something the club might do, but itd be for Voss or Bassett on the form of always taking the obvious worst option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If co-captains is the only reason people have to not renew, they were always going to renew.

Its a symbolic problem but there are so many other unaccounted for * ups and rotten eggs at PAFC that I doubt co-captains is the only issue any Port fan wouldve had with how Port is run

But choosing neither Jonas nor Wines, the club would have to admit they stuffed up even more.
I am curious about the decision though.
Did Ollie choose to step down voluntarily?
The club did stuff up. They just don't have the guts to admit it.

I doubt Ollie stepped down voluntarily, though I don't know.

Maybe I have become too cynical, but for info re the club returning to a sole captain to be leaked less than 24 hours after a way earlier than usual player ring a round in an attempt to get disenchanted members back on board, it has to at least suggest said ring a round may have been a flop, and once again those running this s**t show are being reactive instead of proactive.

Not happy with Jonas as captain but our options are very limited.

I would be making Houston VC right now. That kid can handle everything that is thrown at him.

As far as I am concerned Wines can pack his bags right now. He is not committed to playing for Port long term.

Listen to the last thing Timmy says,

We Exist To Win Premierships.

Wining is everything, someone tells you different. They aren’t Port Adelaide.

Ken Hinkley “can’t expect ‘em win every week”

Why aren't the likes of Timmy Ginever, George Fiacchi and Warren Tredrea on the Board of the PAFC instead of the AFL anointed corporate know nothings? Our esteemed Board of Directors, many of whom are overseas, oversaw this Co Captaincy shemozzle and they should be taking responsibility but we all know we will not hear a word from them. They will just sit back in anonymity and let the CEO take the heat. A halfway decent Board would send Hinkley packing, drop all this community bull s**t and get us back to where 'we exist to win Premierships'.

Timmy G for President.

Happy that we are returning to a single captain wearing #1.

Still pissed that we threw out a unique tradition because of a Hinkley brainfart.

Jonas's reputation has suffered because of him having to defend the shitful situation the club put him and Wines in because they couldn't think five minutes ahead on the consequences of their action.

Happy to reset and give him a fair chance.

Last edited:
By 1985, Coca-Cola had been losing market share to diet soft drinks and non-cola beverages for many years. Blind taste tests indicated that consumers seemed to prefer the sweeter taste of rival Pepsi-Cola, and so the Coca-Cola recipe was reformulated. However, the American public's reaction to the change was negative, and "New Coke" was considered a major failure. The company reintroduced Coke's original formula within three months, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic", resulting in a significant sales boost. This led to speculation New Coke formula had been a marketing ploy to stimulate sales of original Coca-Cola, which the company has denied.

Co-captains = New Coke

Single captain = Coke Classic

There's good news and bad news.

The good news is that we've conceded that taking a dump on the tradition of a single captain wearing the number one and having half-captains to keep Hinkley happy may have been a misjudgment so we are reverting to a single captain.

The bad news is that the captain will be Tom "I'd rather be skiing" Jonas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back