The Angry Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m a bit like cmndstab but not as far down the road yet. I’m hoping rather than expecting that we’ll get back to being a competent club. Wouldn’t be surprised if we have five very bleak years.

Bottoming out was always going to be 2020 and 2021 ... the crucial part is how we develop our youth this season and subsequent drafting at the end of that can set us up for some much better times from 2023 onward .

I feel like we are on the right track finally to turn this around after a few years of delinquent denial .

Onwards and Upwards post patient foundations laid .

Bottoming out was always going to be 2020 and 2021 ... the crucial part is how we develop our youth this season and subsequent drafting at the end of that can set us up for some much better times from 2023 onward .
Unfortunately I dont think it is in our dna - our culture is one of accidentally finding talent rather than developing it

I hope this has changed but I feel like selection will still bring up names we dont want to see

I feel like we are on the right track finally to turn this around after a few years of delinquent denial .

Onwards and Upwards post patient foundations laid .

We didnt enter 2020 intending a bottom out.

People are now retrospectively claiming that to try to insist that its somehow wrong to be concerned about what's happened because it was inevitable.

Many of those same people could be found in the pre-season threads smugly self gratifying by calling people who pointed out that we looked like one of the worst teams in football 'melts'.

We didnt enter 2020 intending a bottom out.

People are now retrospectively claiming that to try to insist that its somehow wrong to be concerned about what's happened because it was inevitable.

Many of those same people could be found in the pre-season threads smugly self gratifying by calling people who pointed out that we looked like one of the worst teams in football 'melts'.

I stated well before the season 2020 that we would finish dead f..king last as i picked us to finish well outside the 8 in 2018 and 2019 .

Check my threads and get back to me .

Unfortunately inexperience brings inconsistency.

Our badly mismanaged list has gifted us inexperience by the bucketload.

6 players 20-50 games.
Jones 23, Fogarty 24, Doedee 30, O'Brien 37, Murphy 44, Keays 46.

2 players 50-100 games.
Milera 62, Kelly 90.

2 players 100-150 games.
Seedsman 110, Crouch 125.

4 players 150-200 games.
Lynch 152, Laird 160, Brown 167, Smith 183.

Talia, Walker, Sloane & MacKay over 200 games.

How many A graders there to build a best 22 around?
We are relying on our under 20 games played kids.

5 players 10-20 games.
Himmelberg 19, Stengle 16, Hately 13, McAdam 13, McAsey 10.

10 players under 20 games.
McPherson Frampton, Hamill, McHenry, Shoenberg, Scholl, Hinge, Butts, Davis, Strachan.

11 players yet to debut.
Berry, Borlase, Cook, Gollant, Murray, Newchurch, O'Connor, Pedlar, Rowe, Thilthorpe, Worrell.

WTF are our recruiting team doing? These are our first round picks for the three years prior to this years draft.
McAsey, Jones, McHenry, Fogarty & Gallucci. This should be a list of exciting stars on the rise. It’s far from that.

WTF are our recruiting team doing? These are our first round picks for the three years prior to this years draft.
McAsey, Jones, McHenry, Fogarty & Gallucci. This should be a list of exciting stars on the rise. It’s far from that.
Up until today they were avoiding the go home factor

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I HATE MY MOTHER IN LAW AND HER STUPID BLOODY INDOOR PLANTS STOP BUYING THEM FOR MY HOUSE AND IF THE FATHER IN LAW TRIES TO 'FIX THE GRASS' ONE MORE TIME I WILL ACTUALLY SPEW. IT'S NOT BROKEN, IT'S RENOVATED YOU FOOL.

Thanks for the outlet thread

Has anyone checked if this bloke is okay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on, you know we have a say - the past 18 months has happened because we have a say - bums on seats.

Here's an example:

West Coast have an average attendance at Subiaco of 36840 since 97. In their last season that they made a GF pre Perth Stadium (2015) their average Subiaco attendance was 35987. In their lean years of 08-10, their average Subiaco attendance was 37653, 36377 and 34931 respectively. They finished 15th, 11th and 16th in those years (out of 16 teams).

Adelaide's average attendance at Football Park was 39640 since 97. In the last season we made the finals during the Footy Park era (2012) our average was 36829. The following year, with a 10/12 record our average was 33613. We finished 1 game out of the 8.

My point being that West Coast have bottomed out a few times in their history, retained the support of their fans, and bounced back to win flags not long after. Adelaide fans have been more fickle, dropping off as soon as it looks like we are not going to make the 8.

I contend that our club's unwillingness to bottom out has been commercially driven, as a result of fans not turning up when the team is sh*t. As a result, we are always "around the mark" but lack the currency to draw in top players. Our good times have been on the back of some astute (lucky) mid round and rookie picks. The fans have driven this, because it is clear that we dont turn up when our beloved team is out of contention.

Is it possible that Adelaide fans are their own worst enemy? If we want the club to focus on football, should we do out part when the team is not competitive? Im playing devil's advocate a bit here, but I think a cursory look at these numbers does add some weight to this perspective.

I live in Poo-erth, and I can assure you the weagles fans were not happy and very vocal about it when they were performing poorly. The attendance is quite easy to explain - they have more money over here, the climate is generally better in winter, and there is F*&^ all else to do. But I would also argue that the weagles are and have been a far better run organisation than the crows have been for the last 20 years, even with their pharmaceutically creative playing groups and controversies, the administration hasnt made it worse.

But maybe you are right on a macro level - we did used to have the best F1 GP in the world, until the Radeladian whinge grew too loud and the short sighted govt jumped on board for political points. Its lucky adelaide runs a great street car circuit for the V8's, Oh wait, what?

Its probably conicidence the bellend who poached the F1 GP was the same one who set the hawks up for their most recent b2b2b. Hows that for some long bows :)

The club didnt avoid bottoming out as a compromise to the fanbase from the best strategy. The club viewed not bottoming out as the best strategy. They legitimately believed the 'just make it and anything can happen' myth. They pursued this strategy wilfully, and were in no way compelled into it.

It all stemmed from the club not recognising the genuine brilliance of Malcolm Blight, and that it couldnt be replicated.
And what was a fairly talented list.

This is putting you dangerously close to 'fairweather supporter' status.

You do realise it's the same board and administration that oversee the women, yeah?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

And where would the womens team be without the 2 best players in the league?

The simple fact is talent usually comes out on top on the field, and the recruiting team have failed miserably for a long, long time bringing in premiership winning talent to the club. it seems as thought the administration have been complicit in this, and the new groups are making stands with young men making mistakes but allowing the failed recruiters to stay. not to mention the coaches theyve also allowed to stay.

Sorry, I just don't understand people who tie the strength of their support to the quality of the people in the boardroom. Fagan, Burton, Roo, Chapman - none of those guys are the club in my eyes. The guersey and the collective of supporters (including us) who call the team ours is 'the club'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as disillusioned with anyone with some of the admin level decisions made in the last few years, and completely understand the impact it has on our fortunes. But I can and do make a distinction between the administration, and the club as a whole, that latter of which will get my support rain, hail or shine.
a good place for a sports movie quote - "Attitude reflects Leadership"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back