Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Would anyone be against getting a key defender with one of those two picks in the 20s if there’s one available? There’s a couple that are predicted to go in the second round.
Hope we package our 2 early 2nd rounders for a 1st rounder. Fahey is a definite top 10 candidate so a deal with GWS (not the Pies 1st) would be an option.
As it stands with the current draft order:
Hawks trade pick 21 (878pts) and pick 23 (815pts) total 1693 points
GWS trade pick 9 (1469pts) and gain extra points for a bid on Fahey.
Grab 2 of Callaghan, Sinn, Erasmus or Roberts!

Hope we package our 2 early 2nd rounders for a 1st rounder. Fahey is a definite top 10 candidate so a deal with GWS (not the Pies 1st) would be an option.
As it stands with the current draft order:
Hawks trade pick 21 (878pts) and pick 23 (815pts) total 1693 points
GWS trade pick 9 (1469pts) and gain extra points for a bid on Fahey.
Grab 2 of Callaghan, Sinn, Erasmus or Roberts!
Really hope we do something like this

Twomey now has Ben Hobbs in top 5 contention.

Anyone know much about him?

Hobbs is a tough inside mid with great work-rate and hands in close. 183cm. Likes to tackle. Since his return from injury he's hit the scoreboard more than he did previously. Currently doesn't have much of an outside game and his kicking under pressure isn't fantastic - tends to just throw it on the boot. Hits targets when given space. Bailey Smith would be a reasonable comparison if he maintains the form he's shown across the last two weeks.

Hobbs is a tough inside mid with great work-rate and hands in close. 183cm. Likes to tackle. Since his return from injury he's hit the scoreboard more than he did previously. Currently doesn't have much of an outside game and his kicking under pressure isn't fantastic - tends to just throw it on the boot. Hits targets when given space. Bailey Smith would be a reasonable comparison if he maintains the form he's shown across the last two weeks.
North gonna pick him for sure!!!

(2022) I can do a rough 25 best that i have seen in the u17 champs, dont take it too seriously, but i like the look of these guys best so far

VM - Will Ashcroft, George Wardlaw, Elijah Tsatas, Harry Sheezel, Blake Drury, Cooper Harvey

VC - Oliver Hollands, Mitch Szybkowski, Aaron Cadman, Cooper Vickery, Harvey Howe, Noah Long

SA - Adam D'Aloia, Max Michalanny, Jaiden Magor, Isaac Keeler, Nick Sadler, Mattaes Phillipou

WA - Jack Cleaver, Jedd Busslinger, Alex Condon, Luke Michael, Jed Hagan, Sam Gilbey

TAS - Lachlan Cowan

a top 10 so far:
1. Will Ashcroft - VM (mid/ Bris F/S)
2. George Wardlaw - VM (mid)
3. Elijah Tsatas - VM (mid)
4. Oliver Hollands - VC (mid/ brother of other Hollands)
5. Adam D'Aloia - SA (mid)
6. Jack Cleaver - WA (mid)
7. Max Michalanny - SA (KPD)
8. Mitch Szybkowski - VC (mid)
9. Harry Sheezel - VM (medium forw)
10. Jed Hagan - WA/Jaiden Magor - SA (mids)
(2022) I can do a rough 25 best that i have seen in the u17 champs, dont take it too seriously, but i like the look of these guys best so far

VM - Will Ashcroft, George Wardlaw, Elijah Tsatas, Harry Sheezel, Blake Drury, Cooper Harvey

VC - Oliver Hollands, Mitch Szybkowski, Aaron Cadman, Cooper Vickery, Harvey Howe, Noah Long

SA - Adam D'Aloia, Max Michalanny, Jaiden Magor, Isaac Keeler, Nick Sadler, Mattaes Phillipou

WA - Jack Cleaver, Jedd Busslinger, Alex Condon, Luke Michael, Jed Hagan, Sam Gilbey

TAS - Lachlan Cowan

a top 10 so far:
1. Will Ashcroft - VM (mid/ Bris F/S)
2. George Wardlaw - VM (mid)
3. Elijah Tsatas - VM (mid)
4. Oliver Hollands - VC (mid/ brother of other Hollands)
5. Adam D'Aloia - SA (mid)
6. Jack Cleaver - WA (mid)
7. Max Michalanny - SA (KPD)
8. Mitch Szybkowski - VC (mid)
9. Harry Sheezel - VM (medium forw)
10. Jed Hagan - WA/Jaiden Magor - SA (mids)
Is Harvey Howe Dan’s brother? Not that it matters as there isn’t a brother rule but just wondering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a very hard draw coming up. I don’t see us overtaking Collingwood or Carlton unless they really sh*t the bed.

Gold Coast are a different story though. Playing with absolutely no confidence and their percentage isn’t that far off ours. Very likely chance we finish 16th. But even if that means we miss on Callaghan there are still some good options. Sinn, Roberts, Erasmus etc. GC might also not necessarily select him.
I wonder what the extra wins mean with FA and trade period, and our cap room

Credit to PMBangers

#12 Finn Callaghan (Sandringham Dragons)
189cm/82kg | 26/04/2003 | Balanaced Midfielder

Being pushed back out to the wing as he had done earlier in the NAB League season, it took Callaghan some time to work into the game and start impacting like he’s proven he can. Apart from taking the advantage from a teammate’s free kick and missing a shot on goal from 25 out early on, it was another typical Callaghan display that we’ve become slowly accustomed to. He held his space well when positioned on the wing, taking some good overhead grabs but also proving crafty when having to pick the ball up off the ground, getting separation on opponents when he had the ball to give himself space to deliver via foot, usually to a central target. He moved into a rover spot in the second half where he really put his foot down and started stamping some more authority on the game, able to accelerate away from the opposition as he got handball receives from the stoppage winners. Callaghan also looked particularly classy when bringing the ball out of the defensive half, side stepping opponents and delivering in front of leading targets.

He really does sound like the classy inside/outside mid we need. Hopefully even if we don't finish 17th he's still available.

Credit to PMBangers

Being pushed back out to the wing as he had done earlier in the NAB League season, it took Callaghan some time to work into the game and start impacting like he’s proven he can. Apart from taking the advantage from a teammate’s free kick and missing a shot on goal from 25 out early on, it was another typical Callaghan display that we’ve become slowly accustomed to. He held his space well when positioned on the wing, taking some good overhead grabs but also proving crafty when having to pick the ball up off the ground, getting separation on opponents when he had the ball to give himself space to deliver via foot, usually to a central target. He moved into a rover spot in the second half where he really put his foot down and started stamping some more authority on the game, able to accelerate away from the opposition as he got handball receives from the stoppage winners. Callaghan also looked particularly classy when bringing the ball out of the defensive half, side stepping opponents and delivering in front of leading targets.

He really does sound like the classy inside/outside mid we need. Hopefully even if we don't finish 17th he's still available.

Does anyone see some similarities between Callaghan and Josh Kelly?

Credit to PMBangers

I wish I could describe how he got away from opponents better, like there was one in the first quarter where he spun away from an opponent, went back towards his defensive side through traffic, spun again and hit up an inside 50 target, was just insane

This Hobbs kid has come from the clouds to be at 5.
Not really, moreso draft watchers have short memories (at least I do) and drop a kid for being injured/ having others put in good performances whilst they're out. Hobbs Started the year top 5 for most I'd say

Keep an eye on Karl Worner at the Chargers. Looks the goods. Under the radar because of last year. Very strong overhead, great kick and plenty of run.
From Draft Central on the U19 State Trial Games v Vic Country Game 2

#16 Karl Worner (Oakleigh Chargers)
188cm/78kg | 16/06/2002 | Wing

In arguably his best display for the year, Worner was consistently impactful around the ground, making the wing his own but often getting down deep into defence to assist with his strong marking. That marking was often a headache for Country, consistently strong above his head even in packs and seemingly never being spoiled through the game which gave Metro a level of certainty when kicking the ball to him. He also showed good follow up ball use with penetrative kicking to the advantage of his teammates when moving it forward or laterally, and was happy to take on opponents with his run and carry when applicable.

He's made it to the State Squad for the National Championships.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2021/06/28/scouting-notes-2021-victorian-under-19-trials/

Really? Hobbs sounds like a bolter.
I can't speak for others, but I certainly rated him highly before pulling a classic Bangers and falling for some Metro based boys instead, always good to have a refresher and some humble pie as well

So I've been cycling through some 2019 NAB League footage recently trying to get a better read of some of the Vic Prospects for 2021 and ones to watch for. I know they're two leading prospects but I had forgotten how good Ben Hobbs and Tyler Sonsie were for 16 year olds playing in the NAB League, Hobbs especially is just so courageous in his hunt for the ball despite being significantly lighter than the others he was up against, and surprisingly clean for a player I see leaning more towards a contested play style, and Sonsie is just ridiculously clean for a kid that only played a handful of games at that level, looked to be Easterns best ball user in a strong team

I'm not usually a fan of big calls, all a bit clickbaity to me, but after seeing them again I reckon Hobbs and Sonsie can shake Horne as the top prospect if they get a full season + champs next year
I'll reiterate, Ben Hobbs is very good especially for a 16 year old, I'm waiting to see some practise games of NAB League before I do a 2021 rankings/ thread, but if I had to do one now he'd probably be second behind Horne. Matthew Johnson and Josh Rachele are the two I've been trying to watch more of in the last day or so, think both are around the top 10 without being dead set certainties in it, I could see why some would have either in the 15-20 region as well

Most would've seen, it looks like Essendon have had their F/S eligible players at the club this week, not sure if they were in training or if it was just a photoshoot but I'm surprised we haven't seen anything of Nick Daicos at Collingwood if they're allowed around the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back