News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new deal will see Burgoyne, 37, take on a part-time Indigenous advisory role with the Hawks in 2021.

He will transition into the off-field role full-time once his playing commitments are finished.

Burgoyne's off-field role will see him assist Hawthorn in the development and implementation of its Indigenous programs.

The club said the programs would "focus on employment, education and health outcomes as the key pillars to engaging and empowering Indigenous communities".

I hope they use him for all players. The guy is rock solid and would be great for anyone lacing on boots.

Good letter by Jeff, and I believe that the Mitch / Clarko tension stuff is bullshit, but it doesn’t disprove that someone or some people at the club are leaking to Caro. In fact it confirms it. Whether they put the Mayo on it or she did, the intended outcome is obviously the same. To me, sadly, that’s the story in this whole saga....

Just on this. It’s a myth that’s Kennett presidency has been some sort of golden era for the club.

2006 to 2011

1 flag, 1 PF, 4 finals series

2017 to 2021

1 finals series, 3 bottom 4 finishes

I mean it’s not like Kennett was a Newbold, Coote, Ryan (3 flags) or Cook (2 flags)

In a sense, Kennett’s administration has been mediocre by Hawthorn standards.

Clarkson by contrast is our most successful coach, better then Kennedy and Jeans (3 flags each)

His record is a cut above any other in the history of the most successful VFL / AFL club since 1914

ppl who criticise Clarko for the 4th,9th,15th,17th trajectory always seem to omit the fact that it coincides with Jeffs return.

And whilst on field performance is the domain on the coach the overall culture of an overbearing president can overflow to onfield performance.

1626814374152.png
And now after Caro trying to make out Mitchell to be a backstabbing liar, Jon Ralph attempts the same with Clarkson. These people are shameless gossips. It's actually worse in the media than it is on BigFooty and this place is pretty feral when it comes to impugning motives and casual slanders.

The arrangement put to Alastair Clarkson for 2022 isn’t a succession plan as much as a 12-month severance package he can only accept if he doesn’t cut and run.

Succession plans are done with the absolute buy-in of both parties who commit to a strong relationship that betters the club and everyone involved.

Even Mick Malthouse pledged to make Nathan Buckley the most prepared coach in the AFL on the day they shook hands on a succession plan — a project that later turned pear-shaped.

This is no different than what people have been posting here for the last week.

But there is every chance it will be a 15-month hell ride given the way the deal was brokered.

On the morning of the club’s press conference to announce the deal, Clarkson is believed to have issued the same kind of verbal backhander that he did when former chief executive Ian Robson resigned all those years ago.

Clarkson accused one of the men who had brokered the deal with Sam Mitchell of being “spineless”, although with a choice expletive attached.

The four-time premiership coach clearly felt blindsided by the decision to go with the four-time premiership player when he had hoped to expedite his own contract extension weeks earlier.

In fact, this article so mirrors the stir caused on here last week by ITK posters that I suspect they have moved on from BF to calling the HS and Age. The advantage of sniping and rumour mongering in the main stream media is that there are few there with the intelligence or character to push back against the headline grabbing narrative.

Clarkson has no interest in Hawthorn! His motives are purely selfish and self-serving!

As one senior industry figure who would know said on Tuesday: “He will stay at Hawthorn just to give Jeff the shits.”

And Mitchell, for good measure, is a duplicitous, lying little white-anting stooge who screwed Clarkson good!

Mitchell’s deal was brokered not by his long-time manager Peter Lenton but a confidante from the Box Hill board, with Clarkson in the dark as Mitchell made his power play.

Clarkson then had no option but to honour his contract unless he wanted to torch $1.2 million.

And BH? That may have been to help Mitchell's development in some respect but was really because Mitchell and Clarkson can't stand the sight of each other!

Mitchell was advised at the end of 2019 to coach Box Hill.

While the move was to round off his coaching apprenticeship, it has also given Clarkson and his heir apparent some space.

Don't forget Kennett! That campaigner is loving this because the only thing that makes Kennett happy is the misery of others.

The only man more stubborn than Clarkson and Mitchell is Kennett, so it is hard to see how he could pay out his super-coach to provide clear air in 2022.

He has never minded some competitive tension in his workplaces; in truth he has actively encouraged it.

So this all comes down to this. We're in this situation which looks like a five year, structured success plan only because Mitchell, Clarkson and Kennett are all lying, evil untrustworthy scum. They all hate each other, can hardly work with each other and that has magically resulted in an incredibly lucky situation that looks planned over a long period but was really born out of spite in the last minute behind each other's backs.

This is comical. It really does rival the most ridiculous posts here on BF.

I’m also wondering that if this plan has been a while in the making, we also see reference to a plan of Burgoyne staying on after playing in some capacity. I sort of hope this still happens
I'd feel infinitely better with the whole situation if that were the case.

He can't have his cake and eat it too. Either Clarkson is an honourable man who speaks the truth or he is a duplicitous one who says one thing to peoples' faces and the opposite behind their backs. Either he's a man committed to making Hawthorn a better place or he's a childish, selfish troll who just wants to cause Kennett problems and collect a check.

The problem with these rumours and this narrative is that they require public statements which have been consistent over a number of years and have taken place well before these last few weeks to all be lies. Clarkson never meant it when he said Hawthorn was bigger than any individual. Clarkson never meant it when he kept developing Mitchell to replace him and carry on the legacy. And Clarkson flat out lied about raising this issue himself just minutes after he called someone a "spineless #######", proving himself to be spineless.

In order for narrative of Jon Ralph and these others to be even close to true, we have to believe the worst of Clarkson despite years and years and years of evidence to the contrary. I don't believe it.

He can't have his cake and eat it too. Either Clarkson is an honourable man who speaks the truth or he is a duplicitous one who says one thing to peoples' faces and the opposite behind their backs. Either he's a man committed to making Hawthorn a better place or he's a childish, selfish troll who just wants to cause Kennett problems and collect a check.

The problem with these rumours and this narrative is that they require public statements which have been consistent over a number of years and have taken place well before these last few weeks to all be lies. Clarkson never meant it when he said Hawthorn was bigger than any individual. Clarkson never meant it when he kept developing Mitchell to replace him and carry on the legacy. And Clarkson flat out lied about raising this issue himself just minutes after he called someone a "spineless #######", proving himself to be spineless.

In order for narrative of Jon Ralph and these others to be even close to true, we have to believe the worst of Clarkson despite years and years and years of evidence to the contrary. I don't believe it.
Someone is leaking. That's all we can glean from this media barrage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt. I'm sure there are people at the club fiercely loyal to Clarkson who think this is a horrid situation and completely wrong, just as there are here. I'm sure there are people there who think Mitch is good but not the right pick, just as there are here. I'm sure there are people there who can't stand Kennett so much that they have plucked the 'k' key from their keyboard, just as there are here.

But that doesn't mean they are right. And, in my opinion, they do whoever they are loyal to a huge disservice because the result of their back door gossiping is that they make Clarkson look weak, Mitchell look dishonest and Kennett look a bumbling fool. All contrary to evidence.

Feels like footy department and/or board level. Kennett and Reeves giving the party line while someone or multiple people around them are leaking to multiple sources, in what seems to be an attempt to make staying at Hawthorn a less attractive option.

Too much black and white thinking in this thread. Statements like 'either Clarko/Mitchell are backstabbing liars undermining the club or everyone is totally on board with the transition.'

To me it seems much more likely that there is a set of passionate professionals with strong views on where the club should go. Those views aren't aligned so they're leveraging what power they have while keeping a united public front (like professionals do).

Neither, Clarko wants to stay, but people higher up want him gone. Hence the rather ridiculous way this is playing out in the media.

Just means more turmoil before Mitchell takes over. This has not been well handled.

The only things not handled well in this saga are supporter emotions and imaginations.

Media gonna be media, IGNORE them.

Last edited:
ppl who criticise Clarko for the 4th,9th,15th,17th trajectory always seem to omit the fact that it coincides with Jeffs return.

And whilst on field performance is the domain on the coach the overall culture of an overbearing president can overflow to onfield performance.
F'en classic!

Spot on sadly.

The club had ****ed this up, hoping Clarko would walk. He isn't.

There's no go backing now, no saving face for Kennett or Reeves here. The best thing for the club, the players, the fans, Mitchell taking over and even Clarko, is to just actually pay Clarko out and actually sack him, not try and politicise and spin it.

Self-preservation and ego by Reeves and Kennett is why the will continue to spin this succession plan. Gutless leadership, selfish leadership. The right thing is to admit it won't work, you made a mistake with it, and pay Clarko out.

I really feel for Sam in all of this. He's getting made out to be Judas and our selfish president and CEO have created that narrative.

Last edited:
Spot on sadly.

The club had f’ed this up, hoping Clarko would walk. He isn't.

There's no go backing now, no saving face for Kennett or Reeves here. The best thing for the club, the players, the fans, Mitchell taking over and even Clarko, is to just actually pay Clarko out and actually sack him, not try and politicise and spin it.

Self-preservation and ego by Reeves and Kennett is why the will continue to spin this succession plan. Gutless leadership, selfish leadership. The right thing is to admit it won't work, you made a mistake with it, and pay Clarko out.

I really feel for Sam in all of this. He's getting made out to be Judas and our selfish president and CEO have created that narrative. . Jeff and Reeves need to fu** off, both are driven by their own ambitions and ego's. I'd vote Jeff out in a heartbeat. I've meet Reeves in person, horrible impression. Arrogant.
Are you getting tied up in the media hysterics or do you have some inside knowledge of the hawthorn situation ?

It comes across as hysterics

Spot on sadly.

I really feel for Sam in all of this. He's getting made out to be Judas and our selfish president and CEO have created that narrative. Jeff and Reeves need to fu** off, both are driven by their own ambitions and ego's.

I'd vote Jeff out in a heartbeat. I've meet Reeves in person, horrible impression. Arrogant. He is only here, from Geelong, to further his AFL ambitions. The guy is in essence the same slimy politician Jeff is.

Just to be clear, I want to make sure this is what you're saying.

Kennett and Reeves, despite helping ship Sam to WC five years ago and helping bring him back; despite signing deals two or three years ago with Clarkson, Mitchell and it turns out Burgoyne that all align to 2022 with continued unspecified roles afterwards; despite consistently saying publicly many times over the years before the last few weeks that Clarkson is the man for Hawthorn. Despite all that they actually want the opposite of those plans? And to top it off, he's intentionally making his chosen new coach look like a backstabber just to get rid of Clarkson?

Wouldn't have been easier to just make Clarkson's end date 2021? Wouldn't it be healthier to just keep quiet about it all until 2022? And wouldn't that have been the case if Collingwood (Wright) didn't all but give Mitchell that job now?

Spot on sadly.

I really feel for Sam in all of this. He's getting made out to be Judas and our selfish president and CEO have created that narrative. Jeff and Reeves need to fu** off, both are driven by their own ambitions and ego's.

I'd vote Jeff out in a heartbeat. I've meet Reeves in person, horrible impression. Arrogant. He is only here, from Geelong, to further his AFL ambitions. The guy is in essence the same slimy politician Jeff is.

It IS hysterics. IGNORE the media FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back