List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive thought this for a while. I love Goldy but you would think that either the Cats or Dogs who are close should be interested in a ready to go ruck like Goldy. Stanley and English not up to it at the pointy end. If the dogs offered pick 17 I wonder how tempted we would be.
I love Goldy and it will never happen but if they offered 17 I’d pay his cab fare myself.
Do you think they will come for TC?

Yep agree, but they’ll probably need that pick to split for currency towards Darcy.

I cant seeing anything happening but if we were in the exact same window as the dogs are now and Goldy was playing for someone else, he’s the only ruckman I would be keen on - would be the difference on GF day..
No doubt his tap work would benefit a dogs midfield and agree he could be the difference. Balancing act between retaining experience and pushing hard into the draft. Love to be a fly on the wall during list management discussions.

Can't comment on the former as I wouldn't know. I think the VFL program is important though. We need to get some decent structural talent into the KP's at that level so that players can develop in their proper positions and with some back up around them.

I meant as a player - classic high footy IQ.

Adelaide used him as their "connector" between midfield and the forwards.

So he can coach mids on how to deliver into the forward line, and the forwards on leading patterns and the like.

Given our wealth of mid/fwds, he's got lots to offer imo

It isn’t lazy - it is literally his job at trade radio to create debate and attract callers to fill space and replies/reactions to social media posts, so Hutchy can sell more advertising and the AFL can string its time in the sun as long as possible. It is not the place for sensible, measured conversation about real things. And all that goes double for this phase of trade radio when almost nothing is actually happening.
It is what I meant before. A lazy remark that was made quite deliberately.

It is the only reason Kane is invited back each year.

Last edited:
Ok, my first trade scenario of the season, just for some fun.

Trade with Giants for Pick 2:

NMFC - 2022 1st Rd, 2021 3rd, Curtis Taylor
GWS - 2021 2nd Pick, 2022 2nd Round

GWS strengthen their 2022 hand and pick up a young player that can slot straight in and help Greene and the midfield.

Trade with Tigers:

NMFC - 2021 2nd Pick, 2022 GWS 2nd Rd, Tarrant
Tigers - 2021 Pick 7, 2021 Pick 16, CCJ

I rate Pick 2 very highly as their is a gap in quality between 2 and 7 this year. Pick 16 is also rated lower than it sometimes is as it is very even from low teens through he 20's. This works if Tigers are into Callaghan in a big way and rate him a level above the others. Due to the evens of the draft, they can use a bunch of their 2nd round picks to round out their haul or use their 2nds to get the Dogs 1st Round.

We end up with Pick 1, 7, 16, 20 this year to attack the draft and look to fill the gap areas.

Thanks but no thanks .... as you yourself say pick 2 is gold due to the gap between it and the next group

Ok, my first trade scenario of the season, just for some fun.

Trade with Giants for Pick 2:

NMFC - 2022 1st Rd, 2021 3rd, Curtis Taylor
GWS - 2021 2nd Pick, 2022 2nd Round

GWS strengthen their 2022 hand and pick up a young player that can slot straight in and help Greene and the midfield.

Trade with Tigers:

NMFC - 2021 2nd Pick, 2022 GWS 2nd Rd, Tarrant
Tigers - 2021 Pick 7, 2021 Pick 16, CCJ

I rate Pick 2 very highly as their is a gap in quality between 2 and 7 this year. Pick 16 is also rated lower than it sometimes is as it is very even from low teens through he 20's. This works if Tigers are into Callaghan in a big way and rate him a level above the others. Due to the evens of the draft, they can use a bunch of their 2nd round picks to round out their haul or use their 2nds to get the Dogs 1st Round.

We end up with Pick 1, 7, 16, 20 this year to attack the draft and look to fill the gap areas.
don't do that again! please don't make me do it, for the benefit of everyone in this board

Good and I hope we take CCJ with the pick before.
It's time clubs starting using this and stopped playing nice guys with other clubs.

Yep. Arguably it's also exactly the intent of the PSD - to get better players to the worst performing clubs at essentially zero draft / trade cost. That's equalisation at work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive thought this for a while. I love Goldy but you would think that either the Cats or Dogs who are close should be interested in a ready to go ruck like Goldy. Stanley and English not up to it at the pointy end. If the dogs offered pick 17 I wonder how tempted we would be.
I don’t think the return would be worth the trouble, again not a fan of doing other sides favours unless it helps us

A lot has been said about the Dees list build, but the dogs has also been good.

- Both sides used real pointy picks on mids, which created a foundation of competition star mids (Trac, Oliver, Brayshaw, Bont, Macrae, Smith).
- Both sides have brought in an early pick KPP once the mid is established (Jackson, Naughton).
- Both sides used a first rounder on a elite small forward (Weightman, Pickett).
- Both sides have nailed their second & third round picks (Rivers, Fritsch, Dale, Daniel to name a few but there are quite a few more).

Then in regards to trading:
- Both sides addressed their KPD stocks via trading (May, Lever, Keath, Gardner).
- The dees were very specific with their trading for KPDs & paid what many thought was “overs” for exactly what they wanted, you could argue that this is why their back 6 is stronger then the Dogs who didn’t pay a premium for theirs.
- The Dees trade for Langdon has proved to be a master stroke & the Brown trade was very smart in a role that they needed.
- Dogs lucked out with the Collingwood mess by netting Treloar.

We have a few years to go…

Nice work Psi.

One additional point re their trading and this applies particularly to Melbourne - they've been very strong at landing quality trade targets even when they were shite.

We saw that for us during a certain era that - no matter what money or sell we tried more often than not we were always somehow the wrong polarity for any decently rated player of a certain age. Jed was about the only exception.

It looks like the tide has turned slightly in the last couple of years with Corr, Bonar, Stephenson, CCJ all having age and performance/potential on their side and opting to join us.

If we can make ourselves a 'go-to destination' and land some experienced KPDs/defenders such as those you mention it'd certainly help turbo-charge our list build built on a foundation of high end pick midfielders and forwards.

I meant as a player - classic high footy IQ.

Adelaide used him as their "connector" between midfield and the forwards.

So he can coach mids on how to deliver into the forward line, and the forwards on leading patterns and the like.

Given our wealth of mid/fwds, he's got lots to offer imo

Wasn't he literally the best player in the AFL in terms of retention of the ball from I50s? Or some such stat?

Lol, this is epic toys out of the cot stuff.

He's uncontracted.

I hope we just do the Adelaide/Hately tactic now. Slide a massive lowball offer on the first day over the table, then turn the phone off for 2 weeks.
LOL I tend to agree with this. Trade radio nuffies had a text come in to discuss Cox coming to help us. lol trade radio is s**t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back