Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct weight.
It doesn’t make sense to me to move on Mitchell and O’Meara to create space for these younger players just to not sign one of them at the first hurdle when that player has been one of our best all year. And if we trade him to the Cats I think I’ll need therapy…Stephens in 2022, and Worpel out 2023. No thank you!

I thought the rumour on the board was that he's signed and that it was a matter of time before it's announced? But there was also a similar rumour about Brockman too, which seems to have been incorrect.

Hopefully we wrap them both up soon, he's probably driving his value up game by game.

Was on a very good wicket straight after his first contract, struggled for the past 2-3 years and now is having a great contract year, I think he deserves around the $500k mark, I’d do 2 years and if he performs for those two years he can get a bigger pay packet
It's a fair point about his value. More bad than good over his career. But his good is very good. He shouldn't be getting $$ based purely on this seasons form. I think a 500k base with decent incentives.

Even if they were, they have no currency this year, only a 1st Rd pick then nothing until the 5th round
Clubs don’t have to simply trade picks they have in the current year to get players onto their list.

They can also trade players they have (eg. Key position players) and picks they have in the future (2024 picks).

For example, if Geelong offered us Sam De Konig for James Worpel - would we knock that back immediately?

Was on a very good wicket straight after his first contract, struggled for the past 2-3 years and now is having a great contract year, I think he deserves around the $500k mark, I’d do 2 years and if he performs for those two years he can get a bigger pay packet
He’s having a career best year, pretty much delivering what he’d always promised to.

$500K mark?

Urk. He's walking if he's offered that. Other clubs would ante up that in a heartbeat. Surely worth a few more shekels on top of that.

$500K mark?

Urk. He's walking if he's offered that. Other clubs would ante up that in a heartbeat. Surely worth a few more shekels on top of that.
I love worps and was one of the first to back him in before the season, but he isn’t getting $700k from another team. If he does I’m happy for him to walk and we take their first rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s having a career best year, pretty much delivering what he’d always promised to.
100% he is, but we paid him over 2 million for one good year out of 4, he has done fairly well, I’d be happy to sign him for more than 2 years, but not at over $550k. I’d do 2 at $550k and if he performs well then he gets his big contract. He’s still a few years off free agency

Why do we need to get him signed when his manager has openly stated he isn’t looking elsewhere?

Just because his season has been far better than 2020 - 2022 doesn’t mean Sam / List Management have to lock him in before the end of October - do they?

Maybe they think we could now trade him for a decent KPD at the end of the year. 🤷‍♂️
Is there a precedent for the bolded assertion? I don’t think so. The logical extension of your argument is that you don’t sign anyone on the list until the deadline looms. A fraught strategy. As for player managers, anything they express publicly can be taken with a grain of salt.

Most clubs would easily pony up 500-550k mark for Worps. İt's around 600-650 mark for what he's worth .
İf a club wanted to trade him from us, most supporters here would want mid to late first round pick but you can't then low ball that player by offering 500k!! Works both ways.

Most clubs would easily pony up 500-550k mark for Worps. İt's around 600-650 mark for what he's worth .
İf a club wanted to trade him from us, most supporters here would want mid to late first round pick but you can't then low ball that player by offering 500k!! Works both ways.
Not really sure who would have a need for Worps though.

It makes no difference what he was paid previously. Players wages comes from AFL consolidated revenue and we have to pay most of that out. The only consideration is his potential worth over the next 2-5 years and where he fits in our structure.

Not really sure who would have a need for Worps though.
Don't let the Dee's top 3 fool you, they do have a need for another proper inside mid to cover for Petra and Clayton in times ahead .
The cats have been sniffing back a couple of years a go and wouldn't surprise me if they're just prying in the background.
Eagles are crying out for a ready to go youngish mid to help out the youngsters come through.
I believe saints have asked the question as well.
Worps, I believe, wants to stay as a Hawk.

Don't let the Dee's top 3 fool you, they do have a need for another proper inside mid to cover for Petra and Clayton in times ahead .
The cats have been sniffing back a couple of years a go and wouldn't surprise me if they're just prying in the background.
Eagles are crying out for a ready to go youngish mid to help out the youngsters come through.
I believe saints have asked the question as well.
Worps, I believe, wants to stay as a Hawk.
They've got Dunstan, who they don't play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back