Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Took zero marks yesterday that’s proven.
Sample size and type.

There's not much too profound to get out of yesterday. Finding anything too meaningful in it is for those desperate for justification.

For us it seems all but definite the no. 1 priority was to get out unscathed. A ways behind that it's giving the newbies, fringers and role-transitioners a chance to audition a spot. Then possibly playing cards close to chest while giving everybody else a chance to knock a bit of rust out.

Fact
We lost a pre-season game uncompetitively

Fact:
We were missing 4 of our six b22 forwards

Fact:
We were missing 2 of our 6 b22 backline

Fact:
We comfortably won clearances

Fact:
We used our kick it down the line to a contest far too often given the outcomes (over and over)

Feeling:
Our linkages and ball carry make me feel scared

Interesting that Johnson only had jitsu over 50% TOG, no wonder people thought he had a quiet game.
Yeah he was better than advertised. Did a lot of good close in contested and link up work when we were moving the ball around the boundary.

What’s your analysis on Sturt and Treacy games please sir?
You're baiting me.

Disappointing. Treacy is a third tall or WAFL. He gets some credit for what he does without the ball, meaning he is good at creating opportunities for team mates like Amiss. I would not be asking him to play key forward. Certainly not demanding selection. Sturt could actually get picked ahead of Treacy, with Emmett playing the role Treacy would play.

Sturt has recently needed a few games to get up to speed, it was a similar story last season. I thought he was well off the pace of the game. Some hope remains that he can find the tempo again. I guess some players need to build it, while others like Simpson are born with the tempo to play AFL.

Normally I’d be with you on this but no one wants some neutral supporter coming on their board an hour after a loss (even preseason) and telling them what their club needs, it’s really dumb and serves no purpose. Doesn’t help when the take is stupid because our two best tall forwards sat out
Well the moron is from the village of adelaide

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fact
We lost a pre-season game uncompetitively

Fact:

Fact:
We were missing 2 of our 6 b22 backline

Fact:
We comfortably won clearances

Fact:
We used our kick it down the line to a contest far too often given the outcomes (over and over)

Feeling:
Our linkages and ball carry make me feel scared
Agree with a lot of this.

I think we were only uncompetitive in the 2nd half though. 1st half we were 1 pt down at q time and 14pts down at half time. It blew out in the 3rd q, which shouldn't be a surprise considering by that time it was Peel V Port.

A few random things
  • I liked Cooper Simpson, Patrick Voss and Jeremy Sharp battling on. It's exactly why I watch these games.
  • Draper looks handy from the small bits ive seen this preseason. Would have liked to see him come on earlier actually.
  • Amiss's stocks rose even further in a game he didn't even play. Make of that what you will.
  • Sturt will be thanking his lucky stars that wasn't for 4 points.
  • Darcy is an excellent tap ruckman. Maybe the best going around.
  • Fyfe looks fit and found plenty of it.
  • Hayden Young is a star. That is all.

Voss looks fairly agile, but looks shorter than 194 to me. Not much aerial presence, yet has a great set shot, finds the pill and is strong in the contest. Can at least halve a marking contest.

I think he’s more in the mould of the 4th tall (medium option) so should be competing more against Sturt and Banners imo. He added plenty of defensive pressure too.

Yeah play him rd 1.

With 3 talls (Jackson, Amiss, Treacy?) and Freddy, Switter, Sonny locks for round one, if you play Voss then Emmett and Simpson miss out (7 forwards), I would prefer either one of them over Voss. Only way Voss gets in, is to push out Treacy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 3 talls (Jackson, Amiss, Treacy?) and Freddy, Switter, Sonny locks for round one, if you play Voss then Emmett and Simpson miss out (7 forwards), I would prefer either one of them over Voss. Only way Voss gets in, is to push out Treacy

Voss as the third tall will run riot.

He knows where to go, how to find the ball and can use it.

His footy smarts with Amiss and Jackons existing smarts will make our forward line potent.

All.The.Melts.
Let’s not forget that North Melbourne beat Collingwood last week and so should be installed as premiership favourites come the season proper.

Hope you’re right and it means nothing, we’ll find out in 2 weeks.

Trading in JOM may have been a mistake. His impact has not been what we would have hoped for and , being automatically included each week, is now standing the way of Erasmus and Johnson, not to mention Brodie.

In 2022 we had a midfield that was humming along - Brayshaw, Serong and Brodie assisted by Acres and Aish. Now things are not quite right it seems. AB is down, JOM cant get it, Brodie is out of favour, Aish is down back and who the hell knows where Fyfe will be this year.

Trading in JOM may have been a mistake. His impact has not been what we would have hoped for and , being automatically included each week, is now standing the way of Erasmus and Johnson, not to mention Brodie.

In 2022 we had a midfield that was humming along - Brayshaw, Serong and Brodie assisted by Acres and Aish. Now things are not quite right it seems. AB is down, JOM cant get it, Brodie is out of favour, Aish is down back and who the hell knows where Fyfe will be this year.
Erasmus should be able to blast his way past O'Meara then. Tis early days yet.

I haven't been able to see the game yet but this:

Fact:

Is generally a function of this:

Fact:

The swing a game takes when the long kick down the line turns into a stoppage or a mark, especially if you have clearance dominance because your talls are competitive is massive.

Literally game changing.

Can we have two Luke Jacksons please

I haven't been able to see the game yet but this:

Is generally a function of this:

The swing a game takes when the long kick down the line turns into a stoppage or a mark, especially if you have clearance dominance because your talls are competitive is massive.

Literally game changing.

Can we have two Luke Jacksons please
Darcy played 1 qtr (our most competitive funnily enough) in the ruck, 1 fwd and was then benched. Structurally we were in unfamiliar territory for at least 3 qtrs.

Voss as the third tall will run riot.

He knows where to go, how to find the ball and can use it.

His footy smarts with Amiss and Jackons existing smarts will make our forward line potent
Yeah, I might be down for this. I am willing to sacrifice round 1 just to see if the Treacy as the 3rd tall with Dogga and Jye chemistry is still there. If he offers nothing of value in the first game then by all means, roll the dice with Pat and see how it goes.

Darcy played 1 qtr (our most competitive funnily enough) in the ruck, 1 fwd and was then benched. Structurally we were in unfamiliar territory for at least 3 qtrs.

It looked like we just needed a contest forward of the ball in the first with Fyfe and Darcy clearing the ball like the end of a party in an empty hall.

Yeah it certainly throws a fair old spanner in the works. I wasn't overly fussed with the acquisition when it happened, now it's making selection a bit of a nightmare. When I'm selecting my amateur B22 every week I'm feeling compelled to select him because he's part of the leadership group.

I would never wish an injury him.......but it would certainly make team selections a bit easier if he was out for a couple of weeks.

Maybe a suspension might help. :huh:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back