Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone actually comfortable with how Phillips is developing?
Ask me this at the end of last season and I'd say absolutely. He had some really really good games in the 2nd half of last year when given some responsibility.

Now ... I don't know. Think he's a player that will still have a very good afl career though

Ask me this at the end of last season and I'd say absolutely. He had some really really good games in the 2nd half of last year when given some responsibility.

Now ... I don't know. Think he's a player that will still have a very good afl career though

Yep, i feel that way too.

I genuinely think Clarko doesn't rate him.

The person who told me, who is pretty spot on with this stuff, was absolutely flabbergasted he wasn't in the 25.

No one knows why at this stage, but she and I both reckon he must have tweaked something at training today.

Arrested Development Flirt GIF

Not sure how Will is polarising, his potential upside is well defined. It's not like discussing early career Majak Daw where you had to use a bit imagination to guess the player he could become.

I get the concept of players having to do too much of an apprenticeship. But I just don't think it applies here.

Without a sheer weapon - eg between arcs pace, crazy endurance, zone busting kicks, explosive power or innate accumulation ability - he has to claim his spot with a compelling balance of ball winning, smarts and distribution.

He has enough ability that playing 100+ games wouldn't be a shock. But he's going to have to overcome players holding more Aces at the selection table to get there.

Anyone shocked by this has let their want for him to be good enough cloud their judgement.

I reckon there's only room for one smaller "busy" mid in the side and Charlie Laz has nabbed it with his epic preseason. Add to that the need for experienced bodies in the midfield with Jyza out and Will gets squeezed.

It’s Round 1. People need to stop thinking he will be off the list because he wasn’t picked for Round 1.

He could very well be back in the side by Round 3 and have a very solid season.

If he can’t crack a regular game by the mid season break, then maybe start hitting the panic button.

How many times has he not been selected, or hes been dropped though? This isnt a one off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when we get dominated in clearance this week he should be right back in

The guy is our Lachie neale

Not sure how Will is polarising, his potential upside is well defined. It's not like discussing early career Majak Daw where you had to use a bit imagination to guess the player he could become.

I get the concept of players having to do too much of an apprenticeship. But I just don't think it applies here.

Without a sheer weapon - eg between arcs pace, crazy endurance, zone busting kicks, explosive power or innate accumulation ability - he has to claim his spot with a compelling balance of ball winning, smarts and distribution.

He has enough ability that playing 100+ games wouldn't be a shock. But he's going to have to overcome players holding more Aces at the selection table to get there.
Pretty much this. And if he was picked at pick 43 in the draft (like Spitta was) people would be completely ok with it. But it's logical that people are a bit frustrated that we have used a prized pick 3 on a player that you've perfectly described above. Not his fault of course.

Not sure I can be any clearer on this.

Alistair Clarkson does not rate Will Phillips.
it's pretty well documented, one such example in the clarkson's first time meeting everyone video he says to phillips something to the tune of "you must think im following you round at this point" because of his heavy interest in him.

it's pretty well documented, one such example in the clarkson's first time meeting everyone video he says to phillips something to the tune of "you must think im following you round at this point" because of his heavy interest in him.
And it’s entirely possible his opinion of his ability has changed after being at the club for the last 18 months (time away notwithstanding).

If he really rated him, after an uninterrupted preseason, he’d be in the team.

Even more so with Simpkin unavailable.

He’s sixth in line, and it’s hard to see him climb any higher with the injection of talent over the last two years.

And it’s entirely possible his opinion of his ability has changed after being at the club for the last 18 months (time away notwithstanding).

If he really rated him, after an uninterrupted preseason, he’d be in the team.

Even more so with Simpkin unavailable.

He’s sixth in line, and it’s hard to see him climb any higher with the injection of talent over the last two years.
depends what is meant by "doesn't rate him", people throw that around to mean a bunch of different things

you see it as hard to see him climb any higher, how do you explain lazz being in the team now?

His handballing and foot passing are top notch
Please do not say Laz has ball skills like that Or Wardlaw
And the criticism of Powell is he has a limited defensive game We shall see
Lazz is quicker and that gets him a spot for the moment
Be nice if 2 or 3 of these Mid types could actually get on the scoresheet as none of em seem to convert their opportunities

depends what is meant by "doesn't rate him", people throw that around to mean a bunch of different things

you see it as hard to see him climb any higher, how do you explain lazz being in the team now?
I mean it as he doesn’t see him as currently worthy of selection based on a fully available list.

Lazzaro has the ability to run up and down the field and link up with multiple possessions in a chain. This has given him a point of difference over most on the list.

Phillips is competing with LDU, Wardlaw, Powell and to a lesser extent Simpkin, Greenwood and Shiels.

IMO, he simply will not rise above the first three. He’s just not as good, and others have more desirable attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back