Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Coached 4 seasons now has climbed above 50% win ratio came in roughly a 1/3 of the way through a full rebuild, of late lost a lot of required personnel leaving the club during the offseason, has made defence a priority so ensuring our fundamentals of game plan are set up long term and bleeds freo !! Personally couldn’t ask for much more from a young senior coach with a exiting young list

Serious question - to all those that thought JL wasn't the guy and should be replaced, what is your current thinking?

Do you still have concerns or are you wavering? Or have you done a complete 180 and jumped on board?

This is not a "told you so" post...I'm genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts.

Lost me after the Eagles game last year. Seems to be in the Leon Cameron mould of decent without being good.

Have we ever had as much talent on the list as we do at the moment? If we don't make finals this year I believe he should be moved on.

The slow starts continue to be a serious concern, it has been for a while and is yet to improve. Why?

At least we beat Norf this year, hopefully it continues and we make finals this year but to me he is not the one to take this list to the flag.

I don't see this list as good as 2012-15 or even the one Connelly had with:

F - Farmer, Pav Medhurst
HF - Headland JL Crowley
C - Heath Black, Haselby, M Carr
HB - Hayden, McPharlin, Duff
B - Parker Haddrill Grover

Ruck - Sandy, J Carr, Bell
Int - Ibbo, MJ, Polak, Mundy, Thornton

Plus Cook, Schammer, Warnock, Murphy, Peake, McManus, Walker, Dodd.

That side would spank what we've got now. We're currently putting our first gamers, a skinny 19yo full forward, Makeshift wings and journeymen like Ethan Hughes & Banners. There is practically no one in our current team that would get a game in that 2006 list.

F - Farmer, Pav Medhurst
HF - Headland JL Crowley

That side would spank what we've got now. We're currently putting our first gamers, a skinny 19yo full forward, Makeshift wings and journeymen like Ethan Hughes & Banners. There is practically no one in our current team that would get a game in that 2006 list.
Do you want to edit the bolded part out?

F - Farmer, Pav Medhurst
HF - Headland JL Crowley

Did Ibbo even play a single game under Connolly? Duffield probably barely played 10 games either.

Seriously Mundy and MJ aside that bench is all Hughes/Banfield level talent

F - Farmer, Pav Medhurst
HF - Headland JL Crowley

Why? I said "practically" as in almost no one.
Who would you replace and with who?

Pearce for Haddrill
Jackson for J-Lo
Sonny for Headland
Ryan for Duffield
Serong and Andy for Igbo and Thornton

Amiss for Polak

Not going to lie, my memory is terrible so I don't like to rely on stuff that far back, but I have a hard time believing that Serong, Brayshaw, Jackson, Ryan aren't absolute walkups.

Reckon none of Crowley, Ibbo, MJ, Duff or Mundy were near their peaks at that point and you can find a similar player who's at least as good now.

Then there are the blokes who (IMO) just weren't that good and certainly not better than numerous 2024 players.

Haddrill
Thornton
Polak

There are more walkups from then into now (mostly from the forwardline), but I'm taking the current midfield over that one.

TLDR: You could easily fit at least 10 from now and make that team better.

Out of the slightly generation mashed line up you posted...

Forwards: JL with Amiss, Crowley with Walters, one of Farmer or Medhurst with Jackson
Midfield: J Carr with Serong, Bell with Fyfe, M Carr with Brayshaw
Backs: Hadrill with Cox (and I was a BIG Hadrill fan and genuinely think we make finals in 04 and 05 had he not been depleted by injuries), Parker with Ryan (also a big Parker fan but, well, he was limited. He was just really good at punching above his weight due to injuries to guys like Hadrill, Grover and McPharlin...or that year McPharlin played forward)
Interchange: Polak with Young, Thornton with Walker, Ibbotson with Clark.

So that's about half the starting line up, and that's not even factoring in potential for players like Johnson, Erasmus, Young and Clark.

1711449386612.png

For reference, this was our Grand Final team.

The real question is who are you replacing with who in THAT line up? Some obvious ones are Dawson with Cox, Sutcliffe with Clark, Serong with Barlow (and that pains me to say as Barlow is probably Top 3 of my all time favourite heart and soul players of all time), Amiss and Mayne, Jackson into D. Pearce with Walters and Ballantyne rotating HF. And that's before you get to the bench spots and the real debatable ones like Crowley with Brayshaw.

Interesting fan exercise for sure, but it does suggest that at the very least the line-ups from each generation are at least comparable which means comparisons between coaches and results is somewhat fair

It might be our best list eventually, but that hasn't happened.

Our current spine does not compare with the 2012-2015 one.

If you wanna compare this current squad to the 2012-15 one....

the current Midfield is more talented and more versatile than the 2012-5 side.

As for the spine.. I agree the current Spine does not compare to the 2012-5 one.

The KPFs in 2012-5 Was An ageng pav, an Ageing kepler Bradley, Michael Apeness and Matt Taberner.

Our Current KPFs are Taberner, Jye Amiss, Josh Treacy and Sam Sturt. Luke Jackson is the wild card as Ruck/ KPF.

Our 2012-15 rucks Were Sandilands, Jono Griffin, Zac Clarke, Jack Hannath and KPF/Ruck in Apeness.

Our Current rucks are Darcy, Luke Jackson and 2 blokes who havent played a game yet in Knobel and Reidy.

our 2012-15 KPDs Are McPharlin, Johnson, Dawson, Silvagni.

Our current KPDs are Alex Pearce, Brennan cox, Heath Chapman, Oscar McDonald and Josh Draper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1940469

For reference, this was our Grand Final team.

The real question is who are you replacing with who in THAT line up? Some obvious ones are Dawson with Cox, Sutcliffe with Clark, Serong with Barlow (and that pains me to say as Barlow is probably Top 3 of my all time favourite heart and soul players of all time), Amiss and Mayne, Jackson into D. Pearce with Walters and Ballantyne rotating HF. And that's before you get to the bench spots and the real debatable ones like Crowley with Brayshaw.

Interesting fan exercise for sure, but it does suggest that at the very least the line-ups from each generation are at least comparable which means comparisons between coaches and results is somewhat fair

Brayshaw is just a better footballer than Crowley, and with the adjustments, we don't have to **** about tagging. Our midfield would shred.

Young - Mzungu
Ryan - Sutcliffe
Pearce - Dawson (Cox is probably better but MJ is better than Cox in that role, using 2024 AP)
Amiss - De Boer
Serong - Suban
Brayshaw - Barlow
Jackson - Clarke
Clark - Crowley

Left Mayne in because he was good then.

Going to need to shuffle some roles but with those changes, we win by 6-8 goals I reckon.

Brayshaw is just a better footballer than Crowley, and with the adjustments, we don't have to **** about tagging. Our midfield would shred.

Young - Mzungu
Ryan - Sutcliffe
Pearce - Dawson (Cox is probably better but MJ is better than Cox in that role, using 2024 AP)
Amiss - De Boer
Serong - Suban
Brayshaw - Barlow
Jackson - Clarke
Clark - Crowley

Left Mayne in because he was good then.

Going to need to shuffle some roles but with those changes, we win by 6-8 goals I reckon.
Only one of those I'd seriously question is Brayshaw for Barlow. Especially 2013 Barlow.

Only one of those I'd seriously question is Brayshaw for Barlow. Especially 2013 Barlow.
Yeah I did stop on it (would remove Young before Brayshaw too), but with Mundy and Fyfe, the big body is less appealing to me than either Andy's all round game (and greater speed) or Young's left boot and ability to play back as well.

Also, Andy is my first picked 2024 player for a clutch game because the dude steps up big time when it matters.

Serious question - to all those that thought JL wasn't the guy and should be replaced, what is your current thinking?

Do you still have concerns or are you wavering? Or have you done a complete 180 and jumped on board?

This is not a "told you so" post...I'm genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts.
I think your question is premature. It's been 2 games. Anyone ready to change their opinions already didn't have an opinion worth anything in the first place.

I think most people were/are in the position that 5 years is enough and 2024 is make or break for JLo. I'm one of those and I'm very happy to see it going so well at this stage.

I'm expecting us to beat Adelaide this week and then hoping we win one while we're in SA for 2 weeks. 4:1 will set us up very nicely and fill the boyz with confidence that they are serious contenders for finals.

Yeah I did stop on it (would remove Young before Brayshaw too), but with Mundy and Fyfe, the big body is less appealing to me than either Andy's all round game (and greater speed) or Young's left boot and ability to play back as well.

Also, Andy is my first picked 2024 player for a clutch game because the dude steps up big time when it matters.
Definitely a fair comparison to make as I genuinely feel Brayshaw is and Barlow was very similar in almost every facet. Barlow was also the clutch player who'd step up when we needed in a big game/moment and give us a lift (or boot an improbable goal against the run of play).

Young I'd agree but probably doesn't have the runs on the board at the time of this post. Tying this back to the thread I think this forms part of the long game that JL might be trying to build: Versatility. A lot of players can and have played multiple positions and can cause match-up nightmares for opposition coaches. With how astute he seems to be as a tactician, if he can build the list to that standard we could very well be a dangerous club for a decade.

If the messaging or the game style is too convoluted to take however we could also be a very frustratingly "mid" club for a long time as well.

Definitely a fair comparison to make as I genuinely feel Brayshaw is and Barlow was very similar in almost every facet. Barlow was also the clutch player who'd step up when we needed in a big game/moment and give us a lift (or boot an improbable goal against the run of play).

Young I'd agree but probably doesn't have the runs on the board at the time of this post. Tying this back to the thread I think this forms part of the long game that JL might be trying to build: Versatility. A lot of players can and have played multiple positions and can cause match-up nightmares for opposition coaches. With how astute he seems to be as a tactician, if he can build the list to that standard we could very well be a dangerous club for a decade.

If the messaging or the game style is too convoluted to take however we could also be a very frustratingly "mid" club for a long time as well.
Barlow was definitely a better player then compared to Young now, but I think Young is a point of difference and more versatile. As the 4th or 5th midfield banana, I reckon the latter matters more.

Sandi/Jackson - 2013 Fyfe, 2013 Mundy, Barlow, Serong, Brayshaw, Young is taking the **** frankly.

Agree on the JL stuff.

Edit: Swap Neale and Barlow actually. Barlow was better than Neale then and Serong is basically just Neale anyway.

I really hope JL is the man, however I’ve always felt that when we do win our first premiership it’ll be with a premiership coach who we can lean on heavily at the very nerve wracking pointy end.
Someone to show us the way..
Like a Hardwicke , Beveridge or Scott or even Clarkson

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It would be in the conversation for sure. Amiss still has a way to go to reach Pav though.
Different player I reckon. Pav's strength was versatility rather than being a pure key forward. He was there obviously because we didn't have anyone else. Amiss would be our first pure key forward since Modra. Overall, the bottom 5-10 of our best 22 is far better, imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back