Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a forward!
We need at least 6 kpf’s on our list. We have 2 legitimate forwards (Lynch & Balta) and 3 possible forwards (Lefau Kosi and Fawsett). Of those Lynch is over 30 and Kosi looks like a fail as a forward maybe he will work as a defender. Fawsett has a career threatening injury We need at least 2 additional kpf’s We won’t get 2 high end kids in the next draft so we need to pick up at least one in the MSD

We need at least 6 kpf’s on our list. We have 2 legitimate forwards (Lynch & Balta) and 3 possible forwards (Lefau Kosi and Fawsett). Of those Lynch is over 30 and Kosi looks like a fail as a forward maybe he will work as a defender. Fawsett has a career threatening injury We need at least 2 additional kpf’s We won’t get 2 high end kids in the next draft so we need to pick up at least one in the MSD
Our list needs a bit of everything really. I'd save the key forwards for top 30 draft picks and just take best available in MSD. It's not a huge pool of players.

That’s a good summary and a dire position that needs urgent attention

MSD would give him 3 months as a full time professional player inside our system. By then we would have a good idea if he will make it and if we think he can then we have first option to sign him for next season. This seems to be the real value of the MSD
Maybe .... or maybe it would be best used on an elite State League player in his absolute prime ... rather than punting on kids that usually never reach that level

Apart from Pickett ... how many AFL games have all our other MSD picks actually played?

His first three seasons Pickett was rated elite ... think we might have got the formula right then ... Lachlan Hosie same age right now

9/10 kpp that haven’t been in the afl by that age are as slow AF , I’d be wary and def go with the younger bloke
I could also say that the younger bloke who has not been picked up in the ND, PSD or rookie draft for 2 years running, 9/10 times won't ever make it and you end up putting a heap of time and development into them.......

I could also say that the younger bloke who has not been picked up in the ND, PSD or rookie draft for 2 years running, 9/10 times won't ever make it and you end up putting a heap of time and development into them.......
Not really as mids are so plentiful there will always be leftovers , that can’t be said for kpp, at all

Right now, I'd prefer his partner in crime, the more mature bodied Tyler Keitel. I know he is 26 but we just can't put another skinny lamb to the slaughter.
Keitel is a known quality over 8 years and has always been over looked clearly has flaws to his game or recruiters dont believe is AFL standard and without decent KPF we still didnt consider him and went with the other kid and lefau as train on players

This kid has just jumped up and showing his talents with more upside
We are rebuilding so fits perfectly and might just be a rough diamond we need along with Lefau

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keitel is a known quality over 8 years and has always been over looked clearly has flaws to his game or recruiters dont believe is AFL standard and without decent KPF we still didnt consider him and went with the other kid and lefau as train on players

This kid has just jumped up and showing his talents with more upside
We are rebuilding so fits perfectly and might just be a rough diamond we need along with Lefau
The thing with a mature player is you give him a short contract, you don’t need to put heaps of development into him and if he works out, great. If he hasn’t you haven’t lost much. If you get a raw kid though, you can’t get him up to speed fast enough to help you. It’s really a low chance that he’ll be a success.

The thing with a mature player is you give him a short contract, you don’t need to put heaps of development into him and if he works out, great. If he hasn’t you haven’t lost much. If you get a raw kid though, you can’t get him up to speed fast enough to help you. It’s really a low chance that he’ll be a success.
But its about finding a long term player with upside
Kietel is not going to be around in 4 years time and just as unlikely to make it as the kid

His flaws are clearly too much to go undrafted after preforming at this level for the last 5 years

Forget worrying about contriving to get early draft picks let that happen naturally if it happens, pick the best there is and do our best to win every game, anything else should not be accepted at Tigerland.

edit... Hold on do you mean look to players for the future rather than draft for the now, if so I agree with that, we need players that will form the basis of our next flag in 2 to 3 years
North takes a pure development sense last year and they have Harley Reid .

Right now, I'd prefer his partner in crime, the more mature bodied Tyler Keitel. I know he is 26 but we just can't put another skinny lamb to the slaughter.

Agree…we need a mature key forward… as I said in an earlier post….

Tyler Keitel WAFL 196cm 5x West Perth leading goal kicker 17, 18, 20, 21, 23

Will fit our needs immediately and for a couple of seasons until Fawcett comes good and would help with the development of LeFau and Ryan…worth considering anyway

Last edited:
But its about finding a long term player with upside
Kietel is not going to be around in 4 years time and just as unlikely to make it as the kid

His flaws are clearly too much to go undrafted after preforming at this level for the last 5 years
They said that about Podsiadly…was recruited at around 28 as a stop gap (what we need) to help with the development of young forwards

I think pods ended up playing 4 seasons and kicked around 200 goals …50 goals per season on average….nice…Fitted a need perfectly

…it’s a MSD…we have 2 other picks so can afford to take a put on a mature forward like Keitel…if he’s a bust…he’s outski and the end of the season…hardly a massive risk …I think he’s worth taking a punt on…clearly knows how to play forward…very good record as leading goal kicker in WaFL….is mature…196cm

We can use our good amount of picks for talented KF kids in the end of season draft

They said that about Podsiadly…was recruited at around 28 as a stop gap (what we need) to help with the development of young forwards

I think pods ended up playing 4 seasons and kicked around 200 goals …50 goals per season on average….nice…Fitted a need perfectly

…it’s a MSD…we have 2 other picks so can afford to take a put on a mature forward like Keitel…if he’s a bust…he’s outski and the end of the season…hardly a massive risk …I think he’s worth taking a punt on…clearly knows how to play forward…very good record as leading goal kicker in WaFL….is mature…196cm

We can use our good amount of picks for talented KF kids in the end of season draft

There is nothing wrong with the strategy you outline. It is just the player himself may not possess AFL relevant traits. If that is the case then it would just be a waste of time.

I think that was 2 years ago , He looks like has put on 10kg since
I hate this rule about not publishing player weights.

There is nothing wrong with the strategy you outline. It is just the player himself may not possess AFL relevant traits. If that is the case then it would just be a waste of time.
What are AFL traits? He can mark, position his body and is a straight kick. Right now, that is all we need. We're not picking up the No. 1 pick in the ND here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back