Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

While I have been extremely disappointed with Todd's year so far, on Thursday, as with other games this year, I couldn't help thinking that Todd would be doing better if we had any other tall forward in instead of Dixon. The fact that Dixon isn't running well means that he's not keeping his player from getting to contests properly and as soon as they see it's not being kicked to Dixon they get across and help to spoil Todd in marking contests or provide an extra when it goes to ground. Todd is down on form but this doesn't help matters when he looks like he's accounted for his own player only to have Dixon's then come in.

To be fair, Dixon could argue that Todd hasn't been laying a lot of power blocks for him over the years...

Gonna start calling him "Alligator" because he refuses to fully extend his arms to mark the ball when on the lead.
You're not talking about this one I assume. Butts had hold of his right arm. But yeah he has gone too many times for the chest mark.

1714987250374.png

You're not talking about this one I assume. Butts had hold of his right arm. But yeah he has gone too many times for the chest mark.

View attachment 1981465

No that one he was clearly getting held. But you never see him fully extending his arms even when he gets a clean run at it. He does this half in half out alligator arms out on the lead and gets spoiled way more often than he should be on the lead for such a long limbed player.

I’m a Todd fan but I hope he doesn’t play like a cardboard cut out this week
If he isn't going to play like a proper CHF, maybe this week we tell him he has to tag Tom Stewart. Tom might lead him to where the ball is, and if he stays by his side and not 3m behind him, he might make an impact on the game.

If he isn't going to play like a proper CHF, maybe this week we tell him he has to tag Tom Stewart. Tom might lead him to where the ball is, and if he stays by his side and not 3m behind him, he might make an impact on the game.
Vaguely remember an ill-fated Jackson Trengrove role like that. Can't for the life of me who gave him the run around that day

Vaguely remember an ill-fated Jackson Trengrove role like that. Can't for the life of me who gave him the run around that day
He beat Alex Rance in the first half, who was flustered by the tactics, Hardwick basically at half time smacked Rance across the back of the head and told him to wake up to himself and had a 180 degree turn around in the second half and used his athleticism to make Jacko look silly.

The pattern I've detected is that Marshall plays his best games when Dixon isn't out there.
I detect a serious case of little brother syndrome.

He needs a new role for when Dixon is playing.
People have put up the career stats that say Marshall's numbers are better when he plays alongside Dixon, than when Dixon isn't in the team.

No that one he was clearly getting held. But you never see him fully extending his arms even when he gets a clean run at it. He does this half in half out alligator arms out on the lead and gets spoiled way more often than he should be on the lead for such a long limbed player.

big t rex GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1981465
I'm not sure whether I'm imagining or exaggerating it in my head, but it seems that whenever he falls over in a marking contest, his arms are down with his hands by his side. His body turns flaccid with any contact from to the side or front. Good lead up player when he gets a break off his defender, though.

As much as I dislike weak efforts by any Port footballer at any level of competition I'm still prepared to cut Marshall some slack.

As has been suggested by many during numerous match threads the forward 50 entries are a dog's breakfast aimed at the so called strength of one individual, and I will add to that it has also left the other talls in Marshall and Georgiades as no more than bit part players left with the scraps.

If we get a forward coach who can utilise the strengths of all 3 on an as required basis, and Marshall still struggles to have an impact by all means give him the lemonade and sars, but let's not throw out the baby with the bath water until we get a decent forward coach who could actually kick a goal themselves.

Bang on.

Every single one of our forwards (apart from Jed, sorry Jedheads) has played stretches of football at a high or very high level at times during their career.

We can all see how cooked the forward strategy is.

There is no value in blaming players (including Dixon who isn another whipping boy on this forum) for not succeeding in a structure that makes it impossible for them to do so.

who is the best footy/forward line mentor he's ever had in his entire life? chad cornes? we should trade him somewhere he'll learn something

Absolutely. I note that if the argument is being made that Marshall is not an AFL standard key forward, the club hasn't developed an AFL standard key forward since Tredrea 25+ years ago.

Absolutely. I note that if the argument is being made that Marshall is not an AFL standard key forward, the club hasn't developed an AFL standard key forward since Tredrea 25+ years ago.
Come on Scorch, Kenny can't kick it for 'em!

SLIDING DOORS

IF ... Todd Marshall is the best key forward your club has produced in a quarter of a century.

THEN ... :$

SLIDING DOORS

IF ... Todd Marshall is the best key forward your club has produced in a quarter of a century.

THEN ... :$

Ruckmen too. I guess we can claim that 18 months of Matthew Lobbe being competent?

I'm sure this isn't a problem though? lol?

Bang on.

Every single one of our forwards (apart from Jed, sorry Jedheads) has played stretches of football at a high or very high level at times during their career.

We can all see how cooked the forward strategy is.

There is no value in blaming players (including Dixon who isn another whipping boy on this forum) for not succeeding in a structure that makes it impossible for them to do so.
Dixon cops it because he hasn't just remained silent on Ken, but he's actively attacked the supporters. So sorry, you don't get the benefit of being at the mercy of the shithouse plan from the guy you're defending. He's made his bed.

And I would agree with this. In fact, who have we developed that hasn't come in with a freakish level of talent.

Ruckmen too. I guess we can claim that 18 months of Matthew Lobbe being competent?

I'm sure this isn't a problem though? lol?
Come on Scorch, Kenny can't tap it for 'em!

Yea because you need to use top 10 picks to get good tall forward prospects, or get lucky with f/s or academy picks. Which has been explained many times over the years but ya don't farken listen

Go through the lineups after J.Brown, Lloyd, Pavlich, Riewoldt, Neitz, Cloke, Lloyd, Fev, Hall, etc. retired and its a revolving door of players you forgot existed.

We've done better than most squeezing value out of Westhoff, Marshall and Georgiades as well as turning Schulz career around.

Yea because you need to use top 10 picks to get good tall forward prospects, or get lucky with f/s or academy picks. Which has been explained many times over the years but ya don't farken listen

Go through the lineups after J.Brown, Lloyd, Pavlich, Riewoldt, Neitz, Cloke, Lloyd, Fev, Hall, etc. retired and its a revolving door of players you forgot existed.

We've done better than most squeezing value out of Westhoff, Marshall and Georgiades as well as turning Schulz career around.
yeah too bloody farken right poweraid Kenny cant kick it for em. Bloody well said

Other than Charlie Curnow, Brody Mihocek, Josh Treacy, Ollie Henry, Mitch Lewis, Jacob van Rooyen, pre-Melbourne Ben Brown, Nick Larkey, Tom Lynch, Tim Membrey, Hayden McLean and Oscar Allen. But bloody well said apart from those guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back