Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree completely, there are others at VFL level that look more ready as a forward, and I have liked him best when he is in the midfield
He looks ready to me. Reckon the speed of the game and the wide open spaces of AFL vs VFL will suit him. His ability to pick a ball up at top speed is a great asset, he knows how to crumb and his pace is amazing in short bursts. Not expecting a lot, but wouldn't be surprised if he is he does some 'special' things. He has done the hard yards in the VFL and he is a direct replacement for Aarts. Cumberland is the only other forward that could have fitted in, but his turn will come and he has come from further back this year than Rioli.

I just hope we are all understanding and smart enough to not bag him out if he doesn’t have an impact.
Absolutely correct

The kid is young and coming from a way back regarding his fitness and tank , He was never expected to get a game this year and probably been gifted this game to a degree and thats fine as its nice to give him a taste.

first time in a long while that our foward line has not had 1 of Danile , Castagna , Aarts as part of the setup and im sure Jack / Lunch will be guiding him to a degree.

Its all about the future with MRj

Hope he's front and centre at f50 stoppages and lynchs feet.
Yes and Reiwoldt has f'd off so his man is not in the bloody way

He looks ready to me. Reckon the speed of the game and the wide open spaces of AFL vs VFL will suit him. His ability to pick a ball up at top speed is a great asset, he knows how to crumb and his pace is amazing in short bursts. Not expecting a lot, but wouldn't be surprised if he is he does some 'special' things. He has done the hard yards in the VFL and he is a direct replacement for Aarts. Cumberland is the only other forward that could have fitted in, but his turn will come and he has come from further back this year than Rioli.
I am excited about the great mans son getting a run but how many goals has he kicked this year, sweet * all tbh. I hope we get him around the clearances and through the centre square as he has recently in the VFL.

Boy is a midfielder like his father not a forward in my humble opinion

Last edited:
Can still remember vividly Maurice Rioli Snr's debut v Fitzroy out at VFL Park. A brilliant 41 point win out on a beautiful day out at Waverley. Lined up at half forward (with Rainesy in the guts) and took him about 90 seconds to get the first of about 25 possessions. Phil Egan debuted that day and was very lively up forward, while Noel Mugavin - who crossed from Fitzroy that year - played a ripper game and kicked three or four goals, but got badly hurt the next week and never played another game for us. Brian Taylor had a day out with eight goals and also remember it being Francis Bourke's debut as coach and he had some weird ideas, like starting premiership stars Bryan Wood and Dale Weightman on the bench that day. Reading the Flea's book years later, he suggested Bourkey thought Wood was finished, even though he played in an Essendon flag in '85, and he considered Flea a 'pisspot'.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can still remember vividly Maurice Rioli Snr's debut v Fitzroy out at VFL Park. A brilliant 41 point win out on a beautiful day out at Waverley. Lined up at half forward (with Rainesy in the guts) and took him about 90 seconds to get the first of about 25 possessions. Phil Egan debuted that day and was very lively up forward, while Noel Mugavin - who crossed from Fitzroy that year - played a ripper game and kicked three or four goals, but got badly hurt the next week and never played another game for us. Brian Taylor had a day out with eight goals and also remember it being Francis Bourke's debut as coach and he had some weird ideas, like starting premiership stars Bryan Wood and Dae Weightman on the bench that day. Reading the Flea's book years later, he suggested Bourkey thought Wood was finished, even though he played in an Essendon flag in '85, and he considered Flea a 'pisspot'.
Wood doesn't get old it just gets aged, and damn you are one AGED ROBOT

This kids was destined to play for us. You could see how much it means to him when dimma told him. If only some of our more seasoned players could have that kind of emotional connection to this great club. I am stoked for the kid and the only expectation I have is that he soaks it in and enjoys his first game. No pressure. ******* slay it MRJ! Enjoy every moment of it. Your dad would be very proud of you regardless of your footballing ability...

I will enjoy the journey,yes it’s a stepping stone.
It’s given me reason to watch tomorrow.
wstching aarts and George running around having zero impact was a tough grind.

Can still remember vividly Maurice Rioli Snr's debut v Fitzroy out at VFL Park. A brilliant 41 point win out on a beautiful day out at Waverley. Lined up at half forward (with Rainesy in the guts) and took him about 90 seconds to get the first of about 25 possessions. Phil Egan debuted that day and was very lively up forward, while Noel Mugavin - who crossed from Fitzroy that year - played a ripper game and kicked three or four goals, but got badly hurt the next week and never played another game for us. Brian Taylor had a day out with eight goals and also remember it being Francis Bourke's debut as coach and he had some weird ideas, like starting premiership stars Bryan Wood and Dae Weightman on the bench that day. Reading the Flea's book years later, he suggested Bourkey thought Wood was finished, even though he played in an Essendon flag in '85, and he considered Flea a 'pisspot'.

Pretty sure Maurice Snr’s first game for us was v North at the MCG. I think the Fitzroy match at Waverley was the next week in rd 2. I was certainly at his first MCG game and I recall turning up to watch the game hating the fact we had Rioli because he was threatening to take my favourite player Geoff Raines’ place in the centre. It is fair to say when I left the MCG that day I had a new favourite player. Looking back at the records from that MCG match, Rioli kicked 3.2. So you might be right about him playing forward but I seem to recall him wheeling out of the centre on several occasions in the way that was to become very familiar. Raines also scored 1.1 in that match so I am wondering if they both changed forward throughout the match.

Bartlett got 4 goals and of the Krakouer brothers Jim got 4 and Phil 1.

My memory is a little hazy obviously but that site shows it was Maurice Senior’s first game. You just couldn’t say a bad word about Maurice Rioli Snr as a player, he was absolute class. And from what I have read etc that was both on and off the field.

I loved Maurice Junior’s reaction when Hardwick told him, but I also loved the look on his face before he was told. He wasn’t trying to look cool, he was full of genuine anticipation, and zeroed right in on Dimma’s face. Had Dimma said something the Maurice didn’t want to hear at that point it could have got messy I think. 😂😂

Looks a great kid, have loved watching him play in the VFL and just hope he gets through this game well. Good luck young fella. 😁

Last edited:
He got the last bit right.

Pretty sure Maurice Snr’s first game for us was v North at the MCG. I think the Fitzroy match at Waverley was the next week in rd 2. I was certainly at his first MCG game and I recall turning up to watch the game hating the fact we had Rioli because he was threatening to take my favourite player Geoff Raines’ place in the centre. It is fair to say when I left the MCG that day I had a new favourite player. Looking back at the records from that MCG match, Rioli kicked 3.2. So you might be right about him playing forward but I seem to recall him wheeling out of the centre on several occasions in the way that was to become very familiar. Raines also scored 1.1 in that match so I am wondering if they both changed forward throughout the match.

My memory is a little hazy obviously but that site shows it was Maurice Senior’s first game. You just couldn’t say a bad word about Maurice Rioli Snr as a player, he was absolute class. And from what I have read etc that was both on and off the field.

I loved Maurice Junior’s reaction when Hardwick told him, but I also loved the look on his face before he was told. He wasn’t trying to look cool, he was full of genuine anticipation, and zeroed right in on Dimma’s face. Had Dimma said something the Maurice didn’t want to hear at that point it good have got messy I think. 😂😂

Looks a great kid, have loved watching him play in the VFL and just hope he gets through this game well. Good luck young fella. 😁

My memory is our round two game was played as a standalone game before round one and when the remainder of the league played their round two games, we had a week off.

I loved Maurice Junior’s reaction when Hardwick told him, but I also loved the look on his face before he was told. He wasn’t trying to look cool, he was full of genuine anticipation, and zeroed right in on Dimma’s face. Had Dimma said something the Maurice didn’t want to hear at that point it good have got messy I think. 😂😂

Just checking the old fixture ...
Richmond played North Melbourne in ROUND ONE on Saturday, March 27.
Richmond played Fitzroy, scheduled as ROUND TWO on Saturday, March 20.
The rest of ROUND TWO (Carlton v Essendon, Footscray v Collingwood, Hawthorn v Geelong, Melbourne v St Kilda and North v Sydney wa splayed on Saturday, April 3.
Weird, I know, but we played round two before round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back