Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always been able to live with George's weaknesses, ie execution, fumbling etc on the odd occassion in a game. But last night went beyond the pale. Bloody frustrating as he's good enough to create so many opportunities for himself, brings great pressure, is quick, can take a grab for his size and is a ripper bloke just quietly.

Won't be dropped. But he would wanna start working on his execution and not panic so much otherwise he's gonna run into trouble staying in our best 22 each and every week.

He is sort of like a slips fielder who cant catch, clearly wastes the efforts of the bowler. As much as he gets in the right positions to get these chances he is letting the side down by not converting. Plus his misses become contagious because the pressure builds for subsequent goal attempts for other players.

He has always been suspect by foot and his decision making at times, hopefully the coaches can provide him with some guidance as to how he can overcome these deficiencies.

George has always had ordinary foot skills but it’s gone backwards from last year. Seems to have lost some penetration to go with spraying them. He definitely improved late last year (still wasn’t great but an improvement), must be a confidence thing. Still offers plenty George and belongs in the side

He is sort of like a slips fielder who cant catch, clearly wastes the efforts of the bowler. As much as he gets in the right positions to get these chances he is letting the side down by not converting. Plus his misses become contagious because the pressure builds for subsequent goal attempts for other players.

He has always been suspect by foot and his decision making at times, hopefully the coaches can provide him with some guidance as to how he can overcome these deficiencies.
Has been in the system long enough that we should have seen some improvement, he only had to convert one of those opportunities and we win the game. I fear he just doesn’t have the finishing skills to play at this level.

I have had worries on this all season. But sitting on the fence after seeing what vfl performances by Ellis and Bolton can make you realise the pressure level George brings.

However, to those supporting George and saying 'you gotta take the good with the bad with him', fk I hope he doesnt cost a spot in the GF, or worse, on the big day, with shite kicking like that. I'd even feel for him living in Melb in the following years. Probably better he moved to Venezuela.

Was a dreadful game from George , a blot on an otherwise very good year , was 19G 15 leading into this game , now sits at 19.20. Worse still apart from the hit the post that never really looked Likely, the rest were 10m off ea time and did I mention the dropped chest mark. Frustrating night , so far below our standard

People think it's just the missed shots that lets castagna down. There's heaps more that's disappointing about him like that dropped chestmark early in the game when riewolt expertly blocked for him. Anyone who tapes then rewatches the games will notice that this dud takes shots when he should dish it off all the time, he completely fluffs basic 2 metre handpasses to a team mate streaming past usually putting it at their feet or shockingly behind the spot they already were at forcing them to stop and prop and look like fools as they fall over and flail about. He's getting a free ride atm and worst thing is sounds like Hardwick is already backing him in next week already. Wtf does Stengel have to do to get a crack ffs!!! It'd be brutal to not give Bolton another week or 2. Castagna is little better than your average suburban footballer skill wise. If this was a final we'd all want his hide. STENGEL. STENGEL

Maybe rewatch the game and don't focus on the negatives.

I was at the game and watched him work his ass off. We won a flag directly from this kind of elite running and elite forward pressure.

This thread is laughable and sums up Richmond supporters in general. Let's sack Dimma for sticking by him while we're at it.

Hes always played better when butler is in the side. He struggled when Bolton started the year and the chemistry Rioli George and butler have is undeniable as much as both butler and George s**t me.
0.5 is atrocious but having 6 shots on goal in a game isn’t common for anyone in the AFL
So he’s doing something right getting into position. Just wish he had caddys kicking at goal!

Was a dreadful game from George , a blot on an otherwise very good year , was 19G 15 leading into this game , now sits at 19.20. Worse still apart from the hit the post that never really looked Likely, the rest were 10m off ea time and did I mention the dropped chest mark. Frustrating night , so far below our standard

Didn’t he end up having 7 shots on goal.
I swear he kicked two out on the full as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Disgraceful" "Dreadful" Haha. Anyone who thinks he should be dropped or will be dropped better take a valium come Thursday night.

I reckon there were a dozen players who were a lot worse than Castagna.

His set shots weren’t that bad earlier on in the season... but haven’t been as good since he missed rounds 10 and 11 with a knee injury

Don’t need to be a genius to put two and two together

Anyone who is saying he’s been bad all year have very short memory’s

Presumably for someone who has been kicking at goal posts since he was 8 years old, and a professional in the Football system for several years, a conversion rate of 0 from 6 attempts is beyond woeful. Surely he could be counted on to convert at least 1. He kicks 1.5 and we win the game, simple as that.

if you are in the forward line but can’t capitalise on your teams hard work, you are useless.

Back