Player Watch #11: Jason Castagna - signed to 2023

Should Castagna be dropped for the Port game after his 2 disposal effort vs the Swans?

• Yes - for Cumberland

• Yes - for anyone

• No

• Make him Sub

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The heat Cotch would bring when the ball hit the ground would be awesome. I agree wholeheartedly. And back in the day he was super 1v1 in the air also.
He's no invalid but I still don't think he can high speed stride up and down the ground like George. And I don't think the MC think he can either but there might be another role for him. Maybe quarterback?
Problem with him on ball at the minute is the spread from a contest. You watch Oliver, Petracca for example, they get into space in a flash...and often. Cotch can but not often enough.
And don't get me wrong. I love him and would love him to kick a few goals, it'd give the boys a massive rev.

whilst we agree on a few things and disagree on others, our forward heat has been non existent

whilst we agree on a few things and disagree on others, our forward heat has been non existent

i agree forward pressure is down.
But I don’t think that blaming George is the answer.
The stand rule and kick outs have done the damage. We can’t lock it in and corner the oppo into errors like we used to.
Also our entries are rarely into an open forward line allowing speed to be a factor. It’s congested and just luck if you can be an effective crumber.

You do realise we’ve won 3 flags playing our system? your asking why don’t we remove one of those hardworking roles for someone who’s a better finisher but can’t execute the off ball part of the job that has helped us win 3 flags. If we had players that could do his job better than him they’d be playing, but our current small forward depth is just kids that aren’t ready.

And yes George has played wing in spits and spurts when needed. He was moved onto the wing in last years grand final.
You can't keep going to the well with the same setup and expect the same results. The rules have changed, teams have improved and they've figured out ways to beat us. We didn't evolve this year when we needed to and it's cost us. You can point to injuries but the truth is we've lost a lot of games we should have won regardless. Rioli going to hbf is evidence that Hardwick has finally twigged to it, better late than never.

The thing I don't understand is if Jason is such a running machine and runs strips into the turf every game chasing and shutting down space why isn't he a winger? Why do we sacrifice 2 (or 3) of our on field scoring positions with players who just tear arse around plugging holes up the ground? The over reliance on Jack and to a lesser extent this year, Lynch to kick all our goals has been a big part of our downfall this season. There's no potency from our small forwards. Have George rotate through the wing and fill his forward spot with an actual forward.
I think that George's development as a footballer has been sacrificed by the forward role he plays and should play midfield in the VFL when MRJ takes his place in the forward line because with his run, lateral movement and speed he could be a dynamic midfielder if he had been given the opportunity to develop in the VFL when drafted

Put him in the ruck instead of Marlion Pickett.
You don't play demolition derby with a Rolls Royce when there is a Toyota available.

I think that George's development as a footballer has been sacrificed by the forward role he plays and should play midfield in the VFL when MRJ takes his place in the forward line because with his run, lateral movement and speed he could be a dynamic midfielder if he had been given the opportunity to develop in the VFL when drafted

I like the part before "George's development".... His body moves fast but his mind is not at the same speed. He can't execute a handball.

I like your suggestion for the reason that if he completely stinks it up in the midfield then potentially those in charge will realise he's no longer required and trade or delist. Sadly it's not development that's at fault, he simply has putrid skills and can't even execute a simple task like handballing to a team mate where he puts it in the vicinity of their outstretched hands. More often than not it's at their feet causing them to fumble or behind them so they have to stop and prop and get collected by the opposition. He's been training in an elite environment for 6 or 7 years now. His skills are as good as they will ever be.

He isn’t a midfielder. He doesn’t have the decision making. One of the worst decision makers you will see.

He isn’t a midfielder. He doesn’t have the decision making. One of the worst decision makers you will see.

Awful decision making and awful skills ... unless kicking it around a corner from near dead in straight of goal when 15m out, when most would slot through a drop punt (Jack gets an exemption as he's effective).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another putrid game. Just awful. Parker looks ten times the player he is. Goes to show how bad he is when a guy plucked from the WAFL can look better than him after only a few weeks in our system.

Another putrid game. Just awful. Parker looks ten times the player he is. Goes to show how bad he is when a guy plucked from the WAFL can look better than him after only a few weeks in our system.

So when it really hit the fan in Q2 Parker got one solitary possession. Calm down.

p.s. Overall I liked his game. But he’s not the Messiah

Parker was in everything tried his guts out and I still don't think he'll make it his disposals aren't the best but he was 10 times the player George was so that says it all about mr Castagna.
I agree Parker won’t make it but you can’t fault the effort, guarding space is not effort by George

Back