Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Jy has been a solid player and no doubt the concussions have impacted on him. But he was always a reach as captain. Good trainer and had a nice sidestep, but he never had pace and has always been a poor user without depth in his kicking. To make him captain and sign him for seven years was poorly advised on both fronts.

When your co-captain is low on confidence, it spreads to the rest of the team.

Some people (including Clarko) may say that the inexperience and young talent need time to get things to click (which is definitely true) but the single biggest issue with this team and club is the lack of leadership. The coaches are 100% aware of this too.

We're not going to get anywhere if the top is already crumbling after laying a strong foundation. Also, I don't wanna hear excuses about being played out of position or whatever. He was a forward (with potential to go midfield) when drafted and he did also get midfield time yesterday. It didn't do s**t to help us.

Defending inept leadership means we can accept the fact our young players are being left to do too much and that's ******* disgraceful.

He’s gone from the kid with the dancing feet to the man who resembles a jogging zombie pretty much overnight.

Jimmy Webster the POS campaigner has truely destroyed this young man’s promising career.

His skills and natural footballing instincts are so bad nowadays it breaks my heart to see him struggle.

It's like he’s taking the field not because he wants to, it’s because he has to.

Losing Jy, Thomas’ and Goater’s natural footy talent in the space of 3-months has been a huge factor in our rapid decline.
There were times yesterday that you could see him being in the position to put his head over the ball in a contest but not following through. I totally understand his hesitancy but it isn't helping us one bit. A sorry state of affairs Jy finds himself in.

Maybe a 3-4 week break completely from the game and come back after the bye round. Might be a combination of issues not just related to the concussion here that are weighing him and his form down. I trust the medical team have done all the required tests and protocols here to have him playing again. Let’s hope he can get back to contributing to the cause, as now more than ever we need our leaders to step up.

I rewatched the game, because I’m a genuine psychopath.

He was so bad, it’s was as if he’d never seen a football before.

Yep.

Watching him trail his opponent by 5m at center bounces and stoppages and then get burnt on the spread like he was running in quicksand. Almost sad.

He needs a stint in the 2's.

He's done, unless we see some sort of Coniglio type resurgence. Cogs had 1 really down year, Simpkin has been VFL standard since 2022.

The current contract situation with a few players might actually nuke the rebuild, especially if some of the young draftees actually come on, I don't say that lightly, I can't remember a club being in a worse position with some contracts at the moment.

The Gibbs situation at Adelaide was similar. But we seem to have 2-3 of these deals at the moment.

Luckily we have a mountain of cap space, as we may have to use every cent of the cap space for a bunch of payouts in the next 24 months.

Last edited:
Yep.

Watching him trail his opponent by 5m at center bounces and stoppages and then get burnt on the spread like he was running in quicksand. Almost sad.

He's done, unless we see some sort of Coniglio type resurgence. Cogs had 1 really down year, Simpkin has been VFL standard since 2022.

The current contract situation with a few players might actually nuke the rebuild, especially if some of the young draftees actually come on, I don't say that lightly, I can't remember a club being in a worse position with some contracts at the moment.

The Gibbs situation at Adelaide was similar. But we seem to have 2-3 of these deals at the moment.

Luckily we have a mountain of cap space, as we may have to use it for a bunch of payouts in the next 24 months.
‘Trail his opponent’.

This is the key problem across the board.

Everyone is so reactive. No one anticipates.

Yep.

He's done
, unless we see some sort of Coniglio type resurgence. Cogs had 1 really down year, Simpkin has been VFL standard since 2022.

Luckily we have a mountain of cap space, as we may have to use every cent of the cap space for a bunch of payouts in the next 24 months.
He won't get any faster in the VFL .... just about curtains.

‘Trail his opponent’.

This is the key problem across the board.

Everyone is so reactive. No one anticipates.
It seems a bit unreal that we as fans can observe this week after week with seemingly no improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel for Simpkin with all his concussions. But hed be lucky to make a vfl team at the moment. He's a fumbly chain disruptor who cant kick over a jam tin. Keep playing these senior duds and the club will continue to crash and burn. Zero standards at this soft, joke of a club.

I thought he was alright, much better than any of the other matches he played this year

Something is obviously not right with Jy. You’d have to assume the concussions have taken their toll.
The game just looks way too quick for him now. Hurried kicks on his left are now becoming the norm.
Will he ever return to his dual Syd Barker Medal form, or is he cooked?

Signing him til 2029 was a huge risk at the time - a small mid with average pace and poor disposal - and at the moment, you’d have to say 5 more years of the current Jy is unsustainable.

And unless there is a major upswing in his form, the captaincy can’t be his next season. It just can’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back