Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Is there a particular reason why Mills has started off the wing at the beginning of matches before being pushed into the stoppages later in the game?

Is there a particular reason why Mills has started off the wing at the beginning of matches before being pushed into the stoppages later in the game?

IMO there's no particular reason. We have five mids we've been rotating through our stoppages since the bye (pre-bye we mainly had four): Parker, Mills, Warner, Papley and Rowbottom.

Fitting three of these in at one centre bounce or stoppage obviously means two have to play elsewhere or be rested on the bench. So it really comes down to which three Horse wants in there to start the games. Likely just a match-up thing.

Our starting trios since the bye:
vs Port Adelaide - Papley, Parker & Warner (Mills at HB, Rowbottom on bench)

vs St Kilda - Mills, Papley & Parker (Rowbottom at HF, Warner on bench)

vs Essendon - Papley, Parker & Warner (Mills on wing, Rowbottom at HF)

vs Bulldogs - Parker, Warner & Rowbottom (Mills on wing, Papley at HF)

So there doesn't appear to be any pattern to it. He's still averaging the 3rd most CBAs in that time with 14, behind Parker & Warner. Mills' versatility means that when he's not in the mids, we can use him on a wing or at half back, and let one of the others like Rowbottom or Papley go into the mids.

I don't hate it tbh because I'm not sure we look best at stoppages when both Parker and Mills are in there.

Mills has had a sensational season!

In a team that shares the load always, Mills has shown the way... he's quietly leading the charge into September. Mr consistency throughout July.

Hard work, never shirks, no fuss, no drama, leads by example.

Spending those years developing his defence while we built this team is going to end up paying huge dividends..

1659214061595.png

Surely in line for an All Australian as well.

yep ... i'd argue mills, papley, warner and possibly heeney are in the running
and then if argue for them, why would parker also not be in the discussion?
and while sam taylor and a couple of others might be ahead in defensive positions (and i don't dwell on taistics week to week), paddy mccartin has been pretty good all season, can't recall him looking anything other than in charge in our defence

yep ... i'd argue mills, papley, warner and possibly heeney are in the running
and then if argue for them, why would parker also not be in the discussion?
and while sam taylor and a couple of others might be ahead in defensive positions (and i don't dwell on taistics week to week), paddy mccartin has been pretty good all season, can't recall him looking anything other than in charge in our defence
Paddy McCartin is the front runner for me.

Mills should be in conversation but he's not elite in any one area which I think will hold him back. Reminds me a lot of Parker, brilliant in so many aspects but not the best in any 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just have this feeling that Mills is going to find another level in finals. Seeing how hard he was playing the other day against North, with the game well and truly won, just setting the standard over and over. He won't die wondering in a final and it could prove inspirational for his teammates.

And to further prove how made for big games he is, I looked at our POTY votes in games against top four sides since last year. Mills has the most votes with 16... exactly double the next players (Hickey & Rowbottom) with 8 each. Just clutch.

Last edited:
I just have this feeling that Mills is going to find another level in finals. Seeing how hard he was playing the other day against North, with the game well and truly won, just setting the standard over and over. He won't die wondering in a final and it could prove inspirational for his teammates.

And to further prove how made for big games he is, I looked at our POTY votes in games against top four sides since last year. Mills has the most votes with 16... exactly double the next players (Hickey & Rowbottom) with 8 each. Just clutch.
I've got a feeling he's going to be one of our great captains.

Has signed a 6 year extension!!!

Oh that's huge. I am guessing Mills was never going anywhere and could've re-signed at any point this year, yet he has done so in the week after a massive qualifying final win and the week before a massive preliminary final ahead. Man is making a statement.

Absolutely love him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back