Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there's no doubt wicks adds something to the team ... not sure he'll ever cram his stats sheet but there's an energy and hardness about him that we really miss when he's not there
and he seems generally pretty good in front of goal, takes his chances more often than not

there's no doubt wicks adds something to the team ... not sure he'll ever cram his stats sheet but there's an energy and hardness about him that we really miss when he's not there
and he seems generally pretty good in front of goal, takes his chances more often than not

We need strong forward pressure in the team given we have Amartey, McDonald and McLean up there. Now don't get me wrong, I like those three players, but they are not the best defensively, so someone like Wicks is definitely necessary.

We need strong forward pressure in the team given we have Amartey, McDonald and McLean up there. Now don't get me wrong, I like those three players, but they are not the best defensively, so someone like Wicks is definitely necessary.

yes, but i think he's considerably better than just a defensive small forward

Tackles I50 today;

Amartey 3, Grundy & Jordon 2, Wicks along with 6 others (incl McLean) 1 apiece.

If all the players come with the correct mindset our I50 tackling is fine.
When we have a spread of players laying tackles I50 we are a much better team.

Wicks can play his role, but we simply can't be dependent on one or two players to apply pressure up fwd.

yes, but i think he's considerably better than just a defensive small forward
Yep, I agree... His stats are below average pretty much always (disposals, kicks, handballs, marks, tackles), but I think that more reflects that he is often used as sub. And those stats don't take into consideration the role he plays, his pressure, and his willingness to subsume self and play for the team.

My biggest beef with him is his temper... he's a bit of a hot-head who can do some really dumb stuff at times and at 24, I would have thought he'd have been past that now. But he definitely deserves to part of the best 24 or 25 each week in my view.

There's nothing glamorous about it but putting defenders under pressure and making them nervous is as important as anything in footy in 2024. It's more than just tackles or body work. It's corralling and chasing and using speed to close opposition space, limit their time to get onto their preferred foot, get a run up to roost a kick out, etc.

No one does that stuff better than Wicks for us IMO.

Tackles I50 today;

Amartey 3, Grundy & Jordon 2, Wicks along with 6 others (incl McLean) 1 apiece.

If all the players come with the correct mindset our I50 tackling is fine.
When we have a spread of players laying tackles I50 we are a much better team.

Wicks can play his role, but we simply can't be dependent on one or two players to apply pressure up fwd.
Hairy we both know that pressure is a lot more than just tackles. It's great to see that spread, and some crucial ones amongst them, but filling the spaces and herding the cats don't get stats.

There's nothing glamorous about it but putting defenders under pressure and making them nervous is as important as anything in footy in 2024. It's more than just tackles or body work. It's corralling and chasing and using speed to close opposition space, limit their time to get onto their preferred foot, get a run up to roost a kick out, etc.

No one does that stuff better than Wicks for us IMO.
Big Cox said that today pre match on SEN

Yep, I agree... His stats are below average pretty much always (disposals, kicks, handballs, marks, tackles), but I think that more reflects that he is often used as sub. And those stats don't take into consideration the role he plays, his pressure, and his willingness to subsume self and play for the team.

My biggest beef with him is his temper... he's a bit of a hot-head who can do some really dumb stuff at times and at 24, I would have thought he'd have been past that now. But he definitely deserves to part of the best 24 or 25 each week in my view.

clearly, temper-wise, he's matured on the field ... his natural feistiness (aggression) a lot more controlled this season, and it has made him a better player ... and we're a better team for what he brings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have it on good authority that there's no issues with Wicks. His relationships with most of the boys is as they always were. He's just matured and wanting to get on with his footy, not as big on the crazy celebrations and doesn't need all the boys getting around him like that.

Have it on good authority that there's no issues with Wicks. His relationships with most of the boys is as they always were. He's just matured and wanting to get on with his footy, not as big on the crazy celebrations and doesn't need all the boys getting around him like that.
By the look of how they are playing, that sounds far more feasible.

we'd be on top of the ladder if he played against richmond

i hope theres nothing wrong internally, we can actually keep the ball in our fwd line with him in it

Had an excellent game. Exactly what we ask of him. Exerted good pressure and snagged a couple of goals to boot.

And set up chances for others

Anyone notice the lack of celebration from Sams teammates after his goals today?

Everyone celebrated his first one.

His second one he strolled into the goal square 40m ahead of every other player, to put us 8 goals up, halfway through the second quarter, against a clear rabble of a rebuilding side.

You wouldn’t want to carry on too much.

Last edited:
Some A hole started this poo on X

I've tended to be wanting to replace Wicks with someone a little more skilled as a small forward - I love his endeavour and chasing/tackling but his skill hasn't been quite sharp enough in the past IMO. But his form this year has been excellent and he has been taking his chances in front of goal. He's made himself essential to the side - we need him playing this particular role moving forward until such time as another player shows consistently they can do it better and frankly I'm nowhere near convinced Konstanty will demonstrate that if he has yet to get particularly close to a debut. This role is one that young 18/19 yo's have shown they can play early in their careers - not like rucks/key position players where they take a lot of time to do the role consistently at seniors level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back